Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have searched and searched but still haven't found a likely answer to why my fog lights aren't working...I bought the 2011 EXT in Sept and has been running great. Fogs didn't work when I bought car. Previous owner said he brought to Kia a while back and apparently it they told him it'd be like $1200 fix...so he didn't bother. I don't think its the multi switch stalk as I have jiggled it many many times, fog light switch on, low beams on and nothing...bulbs are ok but did just order LED fog lights from K5 so I am planning on getting to the bottom of this issue. There are so many threads on this but many left unanswered....its not the multiswitch, its not the bulbs there is a lot of discussion on relays, fuses and the fact that there isn't a dedicated fuse for the fogs...so confusing. Has anyone found a fix/solution for non working fogs that wasn't multiswitch or bulb related? Why is this so difficult and frusturating!?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,300 Posts
Most of the time, especially when both don't work, it's in the stalk, but as if you've discounted that, looks like you'll need to do some troubleshooting.
Maybe this will help:

Go through the pages and it will give more info about the circuits.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
124 Posts
You’d have to take it apart and see if there is power coming out when the fogs are switched on. Idk only 10 years on a multifunction switch is not a lot. Old blazers were notorious for them I didn’t know our cars were as well.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,300 Posts
Power probes are tough to use with this car as the fogs are controlled by the BCM IPS, so probably the factory GDS would indicate where
the problem might be. Guess if the connection is completely gone there wouldn't be any continuity to get the fogs to work.
When I purchased ours used back in 2016, the fogs didn't work, but with the headlights on low beam, I grasped the stalk at the column and
moved it around and got the light to momentarily come on, replaced the stalk and they've been good ever since.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
124 Posts
I use them on bcm based cars everyday. I’m not doing this with you. I work pretty exclusively on brand new explorers Durango’s chargers Ford edges and ram 1500’s. Yes wiring diagrams are helpful so you don’t fry anything by sending power the wrong way. But they are very helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just recently found out something interesting related to the multi function switch. My Kia doesn't have auto headlamps but since I've owned the car just over a year now I've always ran with the headlights on. My radio reception has always been horrible. The other day I accidentally had turned off the headlights and my reception was great! Took me a minute to correlate the two but I'm now convinced my multi function switch is the culprit. I just finally ordered the switch and will confirm 100% when it's installed. Hopefully I can finally install the LED's I ordered months ago into the fogs haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts