Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 optima and the fog lights went out. It is not the bulbs. Cannot find where there is a fuse or relay for fog lights. Where is this located?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
I don't think the vehicle has a fuse specific to the fogs, part of something much larger. Same problem here. Have you tested for 12v at the wire right before the bulbs? Mine only shows 5v, so I figure its the stalk switch, didn't want to spend money on that so I just ran power and added a dash switch in one of the blanks for the fogs. Can add a relay to power up only when vehicle is on to save the mistake of leaving them on, but that is kinda obvious, at night anyway. Luck.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
174 Posts
I don't think the vehicle has a fuse specific to the fogs, part of something much larger. Same problem here. Have you tested for 12v at the wire right before the bulbs? Mine only shows 5v, so I figure its the stalk switch, didn't want to spend money on that so I just ran power and added a dash switch in one of the blanks for the fogs. Can add a relay to power up only when vehicle is on to save the mistake of leaving them on, but that is kinda obvious, at night anyway. Luck.
Yes I've done this on many of my own vehicles even headlights and usually just wire to an ignition source like you mentioned. If they're LED's you don't really need a relay because they don't draw much but if halogens you definitely need a relay as they can draw 10 amps a piece so a 30 amp relay should be good.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,677 Posts
Silly question, but your high beams were not on when you were trying to check the fogs were they?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, they were not. Fog light indicator not lighting up on dash display either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem... end result replaced this switch for my Optima: Kia 93410-2M110, Combination Switch. Sells for $41 on Amazon
I did everything you have done with the same results.
To Troubleshoot you can try this, with the headlights on jiggle/play with the fog light switch with the headlights on and look for the fog light indicator on the dash to illuminate.
Also, know it took me a lot of attempts of playing with the switch while driving at night before i got the dash indicator to light up.
It took way more than 5 minn of playing before i got results, so keep trying.
I think there are other threads for this same issue - Bad Switch

I have a 12sx Turbo with Technology & Touring package this was the switch for my Optima

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem... end result replaced this switch for my Optima: Kia 93410-2M110, Combination Switch. Sells for $41 on Amazon
I did everything you have done with the same results.
To Troubleshoot you can try this, with the headlights on jiggle/play with the fog light switch with the headlights on and look for the fog light indicator on the dash to illuminate.
Also, know it took me a lot of attempts of playing with the switch while driving at night before i got the dash indicator to light up.
It took way more than 5 minn of playing before i got results, so keep trying.
I think there are other threads for this same issue - Bad Switch

I have a 12sx Turbo with Technology & Touring package this was the switch for my Optima
I will try this. Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts