Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there , I have a 2013 Kia Optima EX. I’ve ran into an issue with my HID fog lights not working. The car itself had HIDs low beam and fogs professionally installed 3 years back that have worked without issue up until now. The low beams still work fine but At one point I noticed both the fog lights went out. I recently decided to start to troubleshoot the issue and see if I can get them fixed.

The hid fogs and lows are all running off 35w slim ballast. Morimoto h11b and h8 bulbs. They are not using a relay and are hard wired to the cars stock harness. ( if it was my choice and I knew before the installer did it - I would have used a relay)

I tested the fog light ballast and bulbs by swapping them with my low beams to ensure it wasn’t an issue with the ballast or bulbs. Both worked fine when using them off the low beam wiring.

So from there I did some reading and saw a lot of people say that they recommend to replace the multi function switch. I ordered one off eBay and replaced it last night. Before putting the steering wheel back together I turned on the car quick , clicked on the lights and then the fog switch and still nothing but the low beams working. I’ll also note that there is no symbol on the dash showing up for the fog light being on. And I also tried plugging in a brand new h8 regular halogen bulb into the stock plug and still nothing.

At this point I’m looking for a little more help on what to check next? From what I understand these cars don’t have a dedicated fuse just for the fog lights they run off a ips module? I’ve checked the wiring and it all looks to be in good condition , no melting. What can I check next? Are there any specific fuses that would cause an issue ? I’m getting tired of chasing this silly problem and just hoping you guys have some ideas. I’ve attached some pics below of the wiring. I believe the plug higher up is the cars stock fog light plug and the one that hangs down lower is the h11b hid plug they tapped off of the original harness. I’ve spent hours looking on the internet , optima FB groups as well as this forum and can’t find any answers. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If nobody has any idea on what could be causing it at the very least ( let’s say the fog light harness is fried) Then does anyone have an idea how I can use a new relay harness to power the fogs off my battery and use my cars multi switch to turn them on and off just like how it used to be ?

·
Registered
2013 Optima
22 Posts
If nobody has any idea on what could be causing it at the very least ( let’s say the fog light harness is fried) Then does anyone have an idea how I can use a new relay harness to power the fogs off my battery and use my cars multi switch to turn them on and off just like how it used to be ?
If not repairable then wire around. I wanted my fogs as drl so i cut the drl wire and used a fog light wiring kit with relay to wire them with the parking lights turning them on and an override switch under the dash in case i want them fully off.
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts