Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. '12 Optima SX, can't find foglamp or headlamp relays. Foglamps out, green indicator on with switch on. Fuse-Box.info doesn't help either. Are they part of the automatic headlamp leveling system?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts
That is the only thing not working on my '13 slx, sucks. Same, dash light on. I've checked voltage, it is low, around 5-6v. I plan to run new power wire to both lights and place a switch on empty slot on dash left of steering wheel. Hokey I know but it'll work ok for me.

I too cannot find a fuse or relay hence running new power. Luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the only thing not working on my '13 slx, sucks. Same, dash light on. I've checked voltage, it is low, around 5-6v. I plan to run new power wire to both lights and place a switch on empty slot on dash left of steering wheel. Hokey I know but it'll work ok for me.

I too cannot find a fuse or relay hence running new power. Luck.
Thanks, HighMiles. Sounds good to me! I figured I'd might as well enjoy the car as much as possible before the motor goes way south.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts
Mine lights up when switch on; shaking, pulling/pushing on the stalk yields no changes whether the switch is on or off- the stalk is 'tight' - does not move.

Voltage at bulb connector is somewhere between 5-6V.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There isn't a modular, replaceable relay for the fog lamps; they're controlled by internal solid-state components in the Smart Junction Box under the hood.

You'll want a bidirectional scan tool to diagnose this problem.

Commonly, the fog lamp switch on the turn signal stalk fails, but this generally means the green fog-lamp light never lights up. With a scan tool, you can diagnose this in moments:

1. Connect to the Body Control Module and read the data PID for the fog lamp switch. Does it change values when you actuate the switch? If the switch has failed, the PID value won't change.
2. Connect to the Body Control Module and use the fog-lamp actuation test. If the fog lamps turn on, you know the BCM can talk to the SJB, the SJB is working, and the fog lamps haven't blown. In that case, replace the turn-signal stalk.

In your case, running the actuation test would show if the BCM can command the SJB to turn on the fog lamps. It might also reveal some trouble codes from the BCM or SJB that would nail down the problem. Chances are you need a new SJB (relay box). The partial voltage at the fog lamps does suggest that the FET transistor drivers in the SJB have failed.

A standard "reads codes" scan tool won't suffice; you need one that can send commands and that supports actuation tests. ThinkCar's ThinkDiag is probably the cheapest option, and a good choice if you're doing your own work.

Kia Optima: Function - Relay Box (Engine Compartment). Description and Operation - Fuses And Relays - Body Electrical System - Kia Optima TF 2011-2021 Service Manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
There isn't a modular, replaceable relay for the fog lamps; they're controlled by internal solid-state components in the Smart Junction Box under the hood.
Correction, it's the Smart Junction Box under the dash. The one with the fuses, near the diagnostic connector. A new one from a reputable online dealer runs about $400.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts