Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ... New Here! New 2020 KIA optima S owner. Love the car.

I've searched around on here and the Internet and there seems to be some confusion on jack points on the KIA Optima

I'm thinking about painting my calipers Red with the G2 system. Have to work pretty fast with this G2 kit so I would like to put the car on 4 stands without the wheels :oops:

I've attached a picture of the frame of a 2020 KIA Optima S. These appear to be good spots but I wanted some other opinions. The RED circle will be where I will jack the car up with the Floor Jack. The Green circle will be where the Floor Stands would go.

Look good? Only had the car for two days and haven't had any time to really look under the car yet.

Thanks guys !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
These cars are a PIA to lift entirely off the ground. With the pinch weld/rails you'll need something like a hockey puck that has a slot so as the rail doesn't get bent. I have two jacks and I use them under the LCA to raise the front, like wise in the rear. What I do is raise the front under the LCA's then stands with the pucks under the front pinch welds, then raise the rear and place stands with pucks under the rail, but leave the jacks in place also. Lowering, remove rear stands, lower, then on to the front.
Some people have lifted the car from the center to take both wheels on one side off the ground, then to the other side, but I've never done it this way......Just don't like the strain on the body.

Just be careful if using a floor jack as the jack needs to sit on a smooth surface as it needs to move when lifting the vehicle. If it can't walk, it will try to move the car body accordingly, or the cradle will move from the lifting point.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looked under it. Eweee. I see what you mean. I may switch to the other paint system that can be done anytime without the paint getting hard. Then again, I may say to he|| with it LOL

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nay ... No giving up here. Just decided I'm not comfortable with this car's framework for setting on floor jacks only. I'm switching to the Dupli-Color Caliper kit. You can do one caliper at a time without worrying about the paint getting hard on you. Same reviews as G2 also and less expensive.
You give up too easily! Just do two at a time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I can take this old GM Alero jack stand with the pivot groove and take a little bit off each end so I can jack up the car and still be able to put a floor jack stand beside the jack. Appears there is plenty room.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man you can look under the car the places that are for the floor jack are made to be seen are a little different than the other part of the car. For the G2 system, you would need a floor jack like the Arcan ALJ3T Floor Jack, which has 2 more supports that you put under the car and the car is very stable and stays fix. Hope you get the work done and maybe show us some pics with the result, and how is the 2020 Kia Optima? I am thinking of changing mine to a fresher one but can't decide yet. Need more opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts