Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my dashboard started flashing and my car was running a bit funny.
I pulled over and turned off my car. Turned it back on and everything was fine except for the traction light staying on. I turned it off again waited a bit and turned it back on. Now I have the airbag light on and it won't go away. I disconnected the battery for about an hour. After reconnecting, the airbag light is still there. The car runs fine though. I'm assuming something is loose somewhere causing a short? The engine got replaced a few months ago. This never happened before the new engine. It has happened several times ever since the new engine but everything was fine after an ecu reset. It's been a couple of months since the last occurrence. This is the first time the airbag comes on and stays on.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Next time try to Video the dash and verbalize what you See & Hear to show to Svc.
UNLESS a Diag Code or system-wide alert results it's hard for Svc to diagnose a past event -- BUT-- I would have them Open a Ticket OR You send an Email to specific Svc Mgr/Rep so you can have Dated Issue Description proof.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Guess if you went back to the stealership, they'd say the problem was there when the car came in, their standard answer. Sometimes the dash lights come on with an electrical problem, such as low voltage, but those on/off lights are certainly annoying. I have a reader/reset for the SRS system, but from what I've found is that if there is a problem, or the SRS system fault is being sent to the ECU for some reason, that light won't go off even if the problem is corrected, but a reset with the tool would be needed to turn the SRS light off.

Now, I've never tried this, but there was one video that states to remove the negative/positive terminal clamp them together for 20+ minutes and that will turn the light off.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disconnected the battery over night
Reconnected them this morning and the light is still on. It flashes once and then stays solid.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was weird. All the lights in the dash were going on and off as if power was interrupted sporadically.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
I know disconnecting the battery won't stop the light from going off, but the video shows the N/P cables clamped together for 20+ minutes. I have no idea whether this will work, but I do know from experience that I can't get the SRS light off unless I used the SRS scan tool, even after the repair was made the light wouldn't go off.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll just bring it in. Maybe there's a short somewhere....After reinstalling the new engine .

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Rather than wasting time troubleshooting, it will be easy for them when meters are installed.
Let us know how you make out.
Good luck

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the car back today. They said it's a B2500 and to not worry about it.
They erased it. Now when I start the car, the light stays on till the seatbelt light goes off and the beeping stops.
It never did this before. Never stayed on for more than 1 sec more or less.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
I was hoping that they'd came up with a viable solution, but guess not, just enough to get you out the door.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lose connection somewhere?
Is it normal I was losing power when the dash was flickering?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,600 Posts
Let's say it's possible that for some reason power was interrupted as the dash lights came on and the car ran poorly, but what was the cause?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So today as I was driving I noticed the small screen in the cluster was blank. Stopped the car and I turned it back on.... Still blank. Tried several times and it wouldn't turn on. The nav screen was on and the car functioned normally. Went home to drop off some stuff before heading to the dealer.... I start the car and boom.... Screen is back on!!! I noticed it lights up slowly (gradually for 1 sec lol) not instant. Not sure if that's an indication of a bad cluster or board.... Brought it to the dealer and they gave me an appointment for Friday. But if the problem isn't there gonna be "hard" for them to diagnose the issue. Told them to just check everything that has to do with the dashboard. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
You'd think that with all kinds of computer tech on board modern vehicles these days, engineers can write code that can log all types of electronic-related failures for stuff like the instrument cluster or entertainment head unit to some onboard log file somewhere that they can later retrieve and analyze.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another observation. I've noticed my windows go back down... On their own when I try to close them (rare but it happens). Also, last week when I was closing my sunroof, it reached the halfway point and opened on its own....just like the windows. Could this be related to the cluster issue I'm having? Seems to be an electrical problem. Of course the dealer can't figure it out if the problem is not there when they have the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts