Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends.
My name is Glenn and I have a really sad paint problem with my 2012 Kia Optima EX, especially considering that the rest of the car is aging so well (no mechanical or operational issues according to my trusted private auto mechanic and also the service team at my local dealership. The beautiful exterior paint began flaking off around the top right corner of the trunk lid in late 2017. In early 2018 the paint around the top of the roof/windshield pillars began flaking off in chunks. Now paint is also flaking off on the hood and from fenders in 2019. The windshield pillar areas continue to get larger. It's INSANE! The rest of the paint looks amazing. I have sought help from the dealership a few times ( and from Kia) and they state that unfortunately (quoting the dealership) the original paint is only covered under a 3year/36,000 mile warranty against defects. (I purchased my car used Certified-Preowned at 43k miles).

The original exterior color is the beautiful Snow White Pearl. Since the year age of the car is now growing, and the road mileage is high at 120,000 miles (90% highway miles - I drive 480 miles monthly commuting to/from work alone) ...I guess I will be keeping the car and driving it till the wheels fall off.. IF the next questions are answered positively.

My questions are this... would it be a smart choice to change the Snow White Pearl color to a solid white when I have it repainted, instead of the multi-stage factory paint. (My dealership says the actual process is really 9+ stages) They said a repaint of just white paint wasn't really such a bad idea, especially with the age/mileage of the vehicle. Just wondering what the OptimaForum community's thoughts are on this idea. ???

My other big question/worry is the GDI engine as it gets older. Will it hold up under the higher operating pressures as it ages, or should I consider selling the car as is now for whatever I can get, to avoid large expenses later repairing the engine if major issues arise? My mechanic says he IS seeing issues with the GDI engines as they age, BUT he has not encountered any issues yet personally with the Optima GDI engines. I'm only running fully synthetic, top quality branded high-mileage motor oil in it with the OEM filter as recommended. The engine still looks like brand-new. My mechanic says it's always one of the cleanest engines they get the pleasure of servicing.

What kind of ballpark estimated repainting costs do you think I'm possibly looking at encountering to have the entire car stripped down and repainted in a single white color? (not the multi-stage process of the original Snow White Pearl) I guess I'm basically just trying to decide if these extra costs are going to be worth keeping the car long term. I would hate to have to sell the Kia Optima based of mounting expenses, but I already have a money pit ($$$$$$$$$$) of on-going ownership repair costs with my other beloved car, which is a 2004 Volkswagen B5.5 Passat GLS 1.8T with 231,000 miles on it.

#justworried
Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.
-Glenn

I've attached a photo of the larger damage area near the roof/windshield pillar area.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The engines are hit or miss and can go at any time regardless of maintenance. The Kia engine comes with a lifetime engine warranty for the engine debris problem so that should ease your mind.
As far as paint the tricoat is very expensive so going with a non pearl white would be a savings
Regular paint with minor body repair @ $4000.

Just wanted to add that price includes removing parts and painting base clear, not just putting tape on areas and spray with quick enamel job.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engines are hit or miss and can go at any time regardless of maintenance. The Kia engine comes with a lifetime engine warranty for the engine debris problem so that should ease your mind.
As far as paint the tricoat is very expensive so going with a non pearl white would be a savings
Regular paint with minor body repair @ $4000.

Just wanted to add that price includes removing parts and painting base clear, not just putting tape on areas and spray with quick enamel job.
Thank you so much for your comments. I truly appreciate this information. :)(y)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess one important question to ask is how much are you willing to spend? A good paint job would probably be minimum 4K. If you get a cheapo Maaco paint job, you can maybe keep it for another year and sell it before the paint starts to fail. Just a thought....

·
'MURICA
100 Posts
Holy **** mine is in the exact same places haha. I'm going to do it myself just tape it off and blend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Irongoats
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing