Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mr williamhood,
The High pressure fuel pump is covered under 5yr/60,000 mile warranty - I agree to that. My car is out of the 5 year warranty (2012) by time but still falls below the 60,000 warranty. The warranty expires with the first milestone reached. KIA said they would pick up half the cost. But that still is about $450 for my end. Does anybody know the TSB number for the FCV function ECU update? What is FCV- Fuel somthing?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima LX
23 Posts
Cause of all the posts pertaining to high failure rates on the HPFP, and currently have extended warranty, my mechanic was able to process a claim and replace the HPFP. Paid my deductible of 100.00. This way, i have no worries getting stuck or if my warranty was to expire. Thank you for sharing your experience.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,463 Posts
Mr williamhood,
The High pressure fuel pump is covered under 5yr/60,000 mile warranty - I agree to that. My car is out of the 5 year warranty (2012) by time but still falls below the 60,000 warranty. The warranty expires with the first milestone reached. KIA said they would pick up half the cost. But that still is about $450 for my end. Does anybody know the TSB number for the FCV function ECU update? What is FCV- Fuel somthing?
The dealership can pull your VIN and see if your car got the FCV update or not. The FCV stands for "Fuel Control Valve" and in internal to the HPFP (it is an electromechanical component, driven off the camshaft).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback. I got the car back today and there is not an ECU upgrade on the invoice. When I questioned the dealership, the dealership said there was no ECU Update for the fuel pump or FCV. They did replace the pump and a pipe. They also said that they do not replace many HPFP but did say they replace alot of starters on the KIAs.
The invoice also stated the part was leaking an making noise.

So unless some body can provide a TSB number or some other document I would suspect the ECU update is rumour that this is the reason this part fails.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,463 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback. I got the car back today and there is not an ECU upgrade on the invoice. When I questioned the dealership, the dealership said there was no ECU Update for the fuel pump or FCV. They did replace the pump and a pipe. They also said that they do not replace many HPFP but did say they replace alot of starters on the KIAs.
The invoice also stated the part was leaking an making noise.

So unless some body can provide a TSB number or some other document I would suspect the ECU update is rumour that this is the reason this part fails.
Nope. I got the letter from Kia in the mail about two years ago. Took mine in and they did the ECU update free of charge. This was for an '12 Optima SX. Don't know if later MY is needed the update or not as every MY can be different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just happened this evening coming home from the grocery store. Happened while driving suddenly, the car started to hesitate really bad on acceleration. Didn't want to get above 65 or so. Pulled in the driveway and shut it off, unloaded the groceries and then went back out to test it again and got the check engine light. Scanner shows P0087 which the generic description is "Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low".

I did a search on this site and didn't find any other posts regarding the P0087 code being thrown. Has anyone see this before? About to make my first call to Kia and see if they want to tow it or have me drive it 45 minutes to the closest dealership.

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens...wish me luck!
I had the same problem I changed both fuel pumps and still having the same problem thinking about changing fuel l evaporator canister running out of ideas .Any help would be greatly appreciatedx

21 - 27 of 27 Posts