Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just happened this evening coming home from the grocery store. Happened while driving suddenly, the car started to hesitate really bad on acceleration. Didn't want to get above 65 or so. Pulled in the driveway and shut it off, unloaded the groceries and then went back out to test it again and got the check engine light. Scanner shows P0087 which the generic description is "Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low".

I did a search on this site and didn't find any other posts regarding the P0087 code being thrown. Has anyone see this before? About to make my first call to Kia and see if they want to tow it or have me drive it 45 minutes to the closest dealership.

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens...wish me luck!

·
Registered
2013 SX SX/L
63 Posts
That's crappy. I hope my Black Beauty stays STD free :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, tow truck is on its way. Service department is only open for 4 hours tomorrow...what are my chances of them figuring it out in that amount of time?

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Hmmm. bad fuel injector? If it lets too much fuel through it would obviously cause the system to run low, and also cause the hesitation and sputtering since at least one cylinder would be running very rich. any smoke from the tails?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. bad fuel injector? If it lets too much fuel through it would obviously cause the system to run low, and also cause the hesitation and sputtering since at least one cylinder would be running very rich. any smoke from the tails?
No clue on the smoke...really dark when it started. Hopefully the dealer can pinpoint it quickly tomorrow. My mileage had seemed pretty crappy this tank.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
I'm gonna go with injector, or maybe the HPFP.

·
1,401 Posts
HPFP for sure. On my 335 it failed on me 3 times. Faulty injector would throw a misfire code but not a fuel system pressure too low.

·
Banned
2012 Kia Optima
1,870 Posts
It's definitely the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). I have heard of this issue on a few of our cars. Considering that we're direct injection as well, those things have to produce massive amounts of pressure. The HPFP is also the clicking sound that is so prevalent when you take the engine cover off. For those that don't know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback guys. The flatbed came early this morning and it should be at the dealership by now. They don't open until 9 so we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
2013 SX SX/L
63 Posts
Good luck hopefully the service department is on their game!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the car back this morning. Confirmed that it was the HPFP. Dealer had the parts in stock and its running like new.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Got the car back this morning. Confirmed that it was the HPFP. Dealer had the parts in stock and its running like new.
Cool beans. :thumbsup: glad it was an easy fix and free lol.

·
Registered
2012 KIA OPTIMA
822 Posts
hope your warranty covers this to the MAX

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Warranty covered it but the service advisor said it would only be covered under the 60k bumper to bumper, not the 100k powertrain. Heres hoping that it doesn't fail again. Looked up the part number online and the cheapest I could find it was $580...just for the HPFP.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
what is this HPFP and what does this do? I have never heard of it, but then again I'm only just learning about cars

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,637 Posts
HPFP is the High Pressure Fuel Pump that feeds the fuel injectors in the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1 HPFP failure w/ P0087. I was able to drive at highway speed but slowly accellerating, not pressing gas pedal hard at all, to the dealer. SLOW accelleration to prevent hesitation. being lean on fuel = problem.

I was just over 50k. Going to pick it up now. I'll ask about 100k warranty covering this. It should. 60k warranty my eye. Known problem and no solution other than replacement pump every 50k or so?

Or is it just a lucky few having this problem? Mine is a 2013 SX bought in Nov 2012.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anybody know of a posted procedure to replace this HPFP? Mine failed at 39k and I suspect the next one will only last another 40k and the OEM part alone cost $600. I don't understand why this is not considered under the 100K base powertrain warranty. After all it's a pump just like the turbo and that is covered under the base 100k warranty. For those of us not living in California and can take advantage of that emissions warranty, in effect KIA is saying this is a wearable part, like brake rotors.
I can clear ECM codes, I am not uncertain bout that part of doing this myself. I am more concerned about getting air in fuel lines and exactly where this thing is located.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,463 Posts
Does anybody know of a posted procedure to replace this HPFP? Mine failed at 39k and I suspect the next one will only last another 40k and the OEM part alone cost $600. I don't understand why this is not considered under the 100K base powertrain warranty. After all it's a pump just like the turbo and that is covered under the base 100k warranty. For those of us not living in California and can take advantage of that emissions warranty, in effect KIA is saying this is a wearable part, like brake rotors.
I can clear ECM codes, I am not uncertain bout that part of doing this myself. I am more concerned about getting air in fuel lines and exactly where this thing is located.
It IS covered under the 5yr/60K mile warranty. Who told you it was not covered? Don't confuse it with the 10yr/1x0K mile warranty.

FYI: There is also a free ECU update for the FCV function that is part of the HPFP that should be done as well to extend the life of the pump (as it should have been). When replacing your HPFP, make sure you get this update so the replacement pump will last far longer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts