Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nothing new on this (?) Mine still does it, and combined with braking it gets to be pretty jerky.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
273 Posts
I've reset my TCU/ECU multiple times, I still get low speed compressor surging at low speed (which makes a crazy sound and causes the car to surge forward), and harsh cold downshifts leaving the neighborhood. It's similar to a DCT when the clutch lets go.

·
Registered
2016 Optima Optima SXL
73 Posts
I have a new sxl same thing happens it's the way it's designed so it's a automatic downshift to get you power if needed....you have to learn how to step on the gas pedal just like the windows and switch for the panoramic roof you do one big click it goes all the way do a tiny click and it will only do a little bit...if u have a heavy foot it will do a hard downshift

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
Just the subject I was looking for... although a bit different issue. Both my wife and myself always drive this thing in SPORT, because the freaking steering is overly light in normal mode. In fact, it's still quite light even in sport. Read there're 2 steering modes: SX light and SX standard. Have to call dealer to ask which one the 2016 SXL has. Now to my issue. Sport mode delays upshifts, as expected. But what I'm stumped, is the tranny's reluctance to downshift AT ALL in auto mode. The other day I went almost full throttle trying to invoke a downshift (forgot which gear or speed), while the rpm were below 2K, and the stupid car refused to downshift, so I aborted, as I was lugging the crap out of the engine. That makes no sense. Can you folks with 2016s play with your tranny in sport mode, and let me know how easily it downshifts? It should be much eager to downshift, just like it delays the upshifts at higher rpm (as expected). It's also laggy as **** when manually downshifted from 3 to 2, hot or cold. Cold shifts like crap, but many do that. Anyway, it's be nice to be able to use the car in normal mode, but for that the car would have to have the 'SX light' steering, so we could switch it to the standard (heavier) one. But I can't imagine how bad the downshift is in normal, when in sport is that bad. Have to try invoking downshifts in normal, to see if somehow they're better than sport. Comments welcome. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
273 Posts
Your previous posts make zero sense to the actual concern the OP has. This is for low speed 2-1 gear shifts, not "learning" how to press the gas pedal and the kick down switch. These cars are plagued with a harsh low speed downshift.

Paddles vs stick make zero difference in the shift speed, quality, or performance of the vehicle. It's the exact same signal going to the TCU.

Basically the best way to shift is it actually use the stick to shift not the paddles.
---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Sport mode does indeed delay up shifts, however the TCU will block out requests for downshifts if it's near the RPM threshold, regardless of mode to protect the engine. If you tap the paddles in either direction while driving (even in "automatic" mode) and you have a gear indicator (3,4,5,6) on the instrument cluster, the vehicle will ignore the kick down plate and hold the gear.

Just the subject I was looking for... although a bit different issue. Both my wife and myself always drive this thing in SPORT, because the freaking steering is overly light in normal mode. In fact, it's still quite light even in sport. Read there're 2 steering modes: SX light and SX standard. Have to call dealer to ask which one the 2016 SXL has. Now to my issue. Sport mode delays upshifts, as expected. But what I'm stumped, is the tranny's reluctance to downshift AT ALL in auto mode. The other day I went almost full throttle trying to invoke a downshift (forgot which gear or speed), while the rpm were below 2K, and the stupid car refused to downshift, so I aborted, as I was lugging the crap out of the engine. That makes no sense. Can you folks with 2016s play with your tranny in sport mode, and let me know how easily it downshifts? It should be much eager to downshift, just like it delays the upshifts at higher rpm (as expected). It's also laggy as **** when manually downshifted from 3 to 2, hot or cold. Cold shifts like crap, but many do that. Anyway, it's be nice to be able to use the car in normal mode, but for that the car would have to have the 'SX light' steering, so we could switch it to the standard (heavier) one. But I can't imagine how bad the downshift is in normal, when in sport is that bad. Have to try invoking downshifts in normal, to see if somehow they're better than sport. Comments welcome. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
Basically the best way to shift is it actually use the stick to shift not the paddles.
Same crap. I'm used to the paddles from sports cars. Now I almost exclusively use the tranny in manual mode, just like I do on sports cars. And yes, I know you can manually shift in auto mode in every sports car as well, but when the tranny refuses to downshift (per my wife's complaint), it's in D. Very surprised an automaker lets the engine lug that badly. But let me be clear: it's absolutely no fun driving this car in manual, especially with the laggy downshifts, and the ultra-laggy 3rd to 2nd, but I bought it as my beater travel car, which my wife seldon drives, so as long as it holds up, I'd be fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wow, this thread is all over the place.

I think what OptimaInThe6 was referring to was the car's occasional unwillingness to downshift at low speed when you need to get some quick acceleration. And he is right that pulling the left paddle or dropping the shifter into Sport mode can force that needed downshift ... I do it fairly often myself getting onto freeways, etc.

But my original post was about the car downshifting firmly in Auto mode when coming to a stop. I guess that's just normal for this transmission (?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same harsh downshift problem when slowing down, at just below the 60KPH, the service people told me this is normal which surprised me, but then after they reset the auto learn and since then the auto is changing down much more smoother, hope this helps, my model 2016 Kia Optima GT

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,238 Posts
I’m guessing KIA’s programming isn’t what everyone likes on this car. I know my hybrid in sport mode does a sort or throttle blip when down shifting however, if I don’t take control manually when slowing down into a turn, it seems to think I’m stopping and won’t shift down more when I get back on the throttle. It sort of feels like it disconnected the transmission to allow for a slow speed stop then it has to figure out when it is to catch up. I know my Volvo does something similar with the transmission disconnect but it is mainly at highway speed and it not bad then as the car only does it in ECO mode.

KIA still seems to have a bit of ECO programmed in the transmission. I would love to drive in one of your guys cars to see what you are experiencing. The hard shifts on the down shift might be for sporty driving but it seems on the lower end it doesn’t occur to prevent transmission damage from over revving in the 1-3 region. Here is an idea, someone get a video of this so we can see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My original post was about my 2016. My 2017 doesn't seem to have that issue at all, so they either fixed it or the car has learned my driving style and smoothed it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else getting a firm downshift as you slow to a stop?

Same here. I hate it!!

It seems to happen mostly when I've been going over 30 mph, then slow for a red light or stop sign, etc. I think it is the shift from 3rd down to 2nd. It feels like I hit the brakes for second, and it's very noticeable.

Anyone else getting this?

·
Registered
2016 OPTIMA 2016 OPTIMA SXL
30 Posts
If I should have put the following question in another discussion, I’m sorry (I’m still relatively new at using forums).

I have a 2016 SXT and don’t feel a rough downshift problem, so I can’t speak to that. My problem is when starting up after a full stop. There’s a “jerk” right after I take my foot off the brake and apply the accelerator. It’s as if the torque converter takes a half-second to “catch”. I don’t know if that’s a thing, or how to better describe it, but that’s what it feels like. Once the car is rolling, the rest of the shifts feel okay. I DO notice this isn’t a problem when I use the “manual” mode. (I feel a bit foolish referring to this as manual ☺. I mean there’s no clutch, fer cryin’ out loud).

Sorry about that digression ?. This “catch” is something I can feel, but no passengers have mentioned or asked me about it. I should probably see if this only happens when the transmission is “cold”, or if it happen at other times.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a hard downshift from 3-2 maybe a few times per month (auto 2.4 2018), and it is quite pronounced, like tapping the brakes. It is not when the tranny is cold, only at operating temp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same harsh downshift problem when slowing down, at just below the 60KPH, the service people told me this is normal which surprised me, but then after they reset the auto learn and since then the auto is changing down much more smoother, hope this helps, my model 2016 Kia Optima GT

I got the exact same car with the exact same issue that happens around 60kph and 40kph the car has rough down shifting at these two speeds similar to braking. Just wondering if this is similar to your issue? And what exactly have the dealer done to your car to fix it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
585 Posts
I have the same down-shift all the time with foot-off-pedal, slowing down, and at about 30-32 it happens.
2000UZJ was at the plant, and his '16 post about the 3 SUV's getting TCU updates - and No Optima update was ever announced - it appears we're stuck with this.

I DID learn from his post Why Sport is usually 500-750 RPMs above Regular at same speed - Sport delays up-shifts. So I'm ready for TV's Jeopardy!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts