Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else getting a firm downshift as you slow to a stop?

It seems to happen mostly when I've been going over 30 mph, then slow for a red light or stop sign, etc. I think it is the shift from 3rd down to 2nd. It feels like I hit the brakes for second, and it's very noticeable.

Anyone else getting this?

·
Registered
2016 OPTIMA 2016 OPTIMA SXL
30 Posts
Mike, does it happen right away or only after you've been driving for awhile, i.e. is it after the transmission has had a chance to warm up? I felt something weird driving it last evening, but it only happened once, or else I failed to notice it other times because I was distracted by something (or someone). I'll keep an ear on it next time I go somewhere. BTW, I see you also have a Titanium Silver SXL, but you have the Ivory interior. I'm jealous :\. I took the showroom demo with Aubergine interior b/c I figured I wouldn't have as much room to dicker if the dealer had to search around for one with the ivory. It looks gorgeous in the photos I've seen.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Anyone else getting a firm downshift as you slow to a top?

It seems to happen mostly when I've been going over 30 mph, then slow for a red light or stop sign, etc. I think it is the shift from 3rd down to 2nd. It feels like I hit the brakes for second, and it's very noticeable.

I have this problem when going from 4th to 3rd which is a pretty common issue on the earlier models. It's only noticeable on occasion so I don't think much of it.

That's pretty cool about how it will go from 3rd to 2nd on the newer models. They must've reprogrammed the logic. Wish I had that.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, does it happen right away or only after you've been driving for awhile, i.e. is it after the transmission has had a chance to warm up? I felt something weird driving it last evening, but it only happened once, or else I failed to notice it other times because I was distracted by something (or someone). I'll keep an ear on it next time I go somewhere. BTW, I see you also have a Titanium Silver SXL, but you have the Ivory interior. I'm jealous :\. I took the showroom demo with Aubergine interior b/c I figured I wouldn't have as much room to dicker if the dealer had to search around for one with the ivory. It looks gorgeous in the photos I've seen.
Thanks, Grid. The Ivory is a little dazzling against the black carpet and the silver exterior, but I like it better than the dark interiors.

As for the bump, it's when I've been driving and the trans is warm.

Actually, I just realized it does it while moving, and not just when coming to a stop. I was just driving at about 35 and when I slowed to about 30, there it went.

I just got back from a longish road trip, and maybe the transmission just hasn't un-learned all that 80 mph highway running. lol.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks, Grid. The Ivory is a little dazzling against the black carpet and the silver exterior, but I like it better than the dark interiors.

As for the bump, it's when I've been driving and the trans is warm.

Actually, I just realized it does it while moving, and not just when coming to a stop. I was just driving at about 35 and when I slowed to about 30, there it went.

I just got back from a longish road trip, and maybe the transmission just hasn't un-learned all that 80 mph highway running. lol.
That would be 5th to 4th at that speed.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That would be 5th to 4th at that speed.
Hmmm ... maybe, but it feels more like it's dropping into 3rd to me, especially since it slows the car noticeably. And if it were a stick shift, I'd be downshifting to second as I passed through 30 toward 20.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hmmm ... maybe, but it feels more like it's dropping into 3rd to me, especially since it slows the car noticeably. And if it were a stick shift, I'd be downshifting to second as I passed through 30 toward 20.
Get to a high enough speed to be in 6th gear then switch it to sportmatic and come to a stop. While slowing down, watch the gears shift down. The progression through the gears should be about the same as if it were fully automatic.

Since this is an automatic car it will hold a higher gear for as long as possible for better fuel economy. So this shouldn't be compared to a manual transmission.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get to a high enough speed to be in 6th gear then switch it to sportmatic and come to a stop. While slowing down, watch the gears shift down. The progression through the gears should be about the same as if it were fully automatic.

Since this is an automatic car it will hold a higher gear for as long as possible for better fuel economy. So this shouldn't be compared to a manual transmission.
You know, I think you're right. I did the manual thing and the bump came as it shifted from 5 to 4. I sure thought it was in lower gears, but I guess not!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
16 Posts
I have this hard downshift most of the time. Not sure - but seems if the temperature is under 70, it hardly happens.
Also have hard shifts accelerating many times. Seems always from 1-2k RPM (about 20-30.) Especially if holding 20-25mph.
Hard car jerking (lurching forward) or letting off the gas and downshifting.
While downshifting, if you accelerate, there is about 5-10 seconds as if the car has no response before it wakes up and then continues accelerating.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
423 Posts
Anyone else getting a firm downshift as you slow to a top?

Yes, happens to me all the time. Not sure what gear it's shifting from/to, but I feel it and it's annoying as heck. I drive a 2014 model though, but it's been doing it since day 1.

·
Registered
2016 OPTIMA 2016 OPTIMA SXL
30 Posts
Noticed it a few times while driving around the other day in a funeral procession. Ruling out Deus ex Machina, I hope it'll stop when the transmission "learns" how to act right. ;) Seriously, if someone hadn't mentioned it, I probably wouldn't have noticed. 2016 SXL.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it's enough to get the attention of passengers (especially wives :rolleyes:). Anyone know if there's a fix for it?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
9 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that this doesn't happen when I'm in sport mode, but it's such a firm downshift I've found myself bracing for it as I slow down to stop.
Is there a way to see which gear you're in and watch it automatically downshift? By moving the gear shift lever to the left? (I haven't tried this)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I've noticed is that this doesn't happen when I'm in sport mode, but it's such a firm downshift I've found myself bracing for it as I slow down to stop.
Is there a way to see which gear you're in and watch it automatically downshift? By moving the gear shift lever to the left? (I haven't tried this)
Yes, you can go into manual mode by moving the shifter to the left. Either manually shift up through the gears, or just get up to speed and them flip the shifter to the left. Either way, you can then watch it automatically downshift as you slow to a stop.

I just got back from the dealer, where they "re-set" the learning mode on my transmission and for now it's much better. I suspect, though, that as
I rack up more miles it will revert to its former lumpy ways. It's not a biggie, but it is a little 'off-putting' as my English friends say. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
16 Posts
I will be taking mine into the dealer for these issues. Adaptive learning only slightly smoothed things out on mine. They advised they will be looking into the wastegate. idk

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
346 Posts
I notice now more then ever that my car is clunky with shifts especially when the engine is cold but even after it's warmed up shifts are not smooth and the shaking upon releasing the brake pedal is back. Knowing my dealership they'll blame it on my aftermarket lights saying "you fried a computer" or some BS like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I notice now more then ever that my car is clunky with shifts especially when the engine is cold but even after it's warmed up shifts are not smooth and the shaking upon releasing the brake pedal is back. Knowing my dealership they'll blame it on my aftermarket lights saying "you fried a computer" or some BS like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you say shaking when releasing the brake pedal, do you mean like the engine is stumbling?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
273 Posts
I've seen reports of harsh shifting. Kia has released TCU updates for the Sedona, Sorento and Sportage due to harsh shifts under certain conditions. I can only hope we are next

1 - 20 of 36 Posts