Kia Optima Forums banner

FAQ: Will (insert modification here) void my factory warranty?

34K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  stoli 
#1 ·
Important note to make that ALL car owners should know:

No mods actually VOID your warranty.

This means that nothing you can do actually voids your warranty on the spot. Now, that being said, modifications can make your warranty voidable.

This is a VERY important distinction that car owners need make because as people keep tossing around the phrase 'voids your warranty' it becomes common knowledge (no matter how inaccurate) that certain things can actually void your warranty. As car owners we all have rights and are not subject to the powers of the evil overlord car companies that are all powerful over us insignificant car owners. It is actually up to the manufacturer to PROVE that the failure you experienced is a direct result of the modification you made. The onus falls squarely on the manufacturer to prove your modifications clearly caused the failure in question in order to void your warranty. This is what the word to use is voidable and not void. Huge distinction in the legal world and as singular citizens we need to make sure we understand our rights that protect us from legal abuse by entities with MUCH deeper pockets than us. Fortunately we still live in a country where laws tend to lean towards right and wrong and not so much towards the entity with the most financial backing (barely).

Disclaimer: This post is a general statement and not meant as legal advise. Neither the person posting this nor the website hosting the forum is responsible for the reader's actions as a result of anything stated above. As always, it's up to the reader to do their own research and, if necessary, seek legal advise where applicable.

See less See more
#2 ·
For instance. I installed a CAI and it sucked up water in bad rain. At some point the MAF sensor in the intake corroded and threw a code...the car started chugging like crazy and was not drivable.

I took the car to the dealership and warranty would not cover the faulty MAF sensor because it was due to my modification to the intake. The entire car warranty was still valid, but not for that specific repair.

#3 ·
Great example.

In this instance the failure was a direct result of the modification so the warranty on that specific part was voidable and the manufacturer chose to void it... with good reason. They also could have chose to cover it even with the knowledge that it failed do to customer installed modification in the name of customer service and good pub. You don't see it as much these days since everyone is counting pennies and dimes but I had a motorcycle that threw a rod bearing due to prolonged wheelies (the 2000 Suzuki GSX-R 750's had the oil pickup to the front of the oil pan so past level they wold run dry and starve the engine of oil) just outside of the manufacturer's warranty (they don't do miles.. only time) and they STILL chose to cover me under warranty in the name of good publicity. So this is another example where the warranty was voidable (technically it was outside the warranty period but you get the point) but wasn't actually voided. These are two good examples of warranty and what can or can't void and how it doesn't mean it's voided.

Sometimes it amazes me how people will post questions like 'I changed out my valve stem caps for shiny blue ones. Will this void my engine warranty?' Hopefully this post clears up some of that.

#4 ·
headrest replacements for those containing DVD players

i am considering removing my factory head rests. i am replacing them with those containing video monitors. i am told that the factory headrests are tied to the airbag system and throw your head forward in case of a collision. if i remove them and replace them, the new ones will not have that functionality and will probably cause the airbag indicator to sho some sort of a failure. will this void the warranty as a whole?

#8 ·
If you hydrolock your motor cause you sucked water in you think they wouldn't spend some time poking around a forum? It's been done before.
A subpena and some time costs less than a new motor.

Say what you think, I was just giving a heads up. But if you wanna :rolleyes: and think it doesn't happen I don't care.

#9 ·
I guess i come from a different world. BMW and MINI encourages modification so when the fuel pump goes out because you are fully modded they call you and tell you to take the parts off so they can run the scan send it to BMW USA and warranty the parts.

I mean do we have one case where this actually happened or are we doing the "my friend has an uncle that knows a guy who this happened to" :confused:

#21 ·
So I see that a simple appearance mod shouldn't void your warranty. But what if you lease the vehicle? Does that affect anything with the lease? I have modded things in the past on a lease (with BMW) and gave the vehicle back at the end and nothing was wrong. I only did a few simple mods like changing the license plate lights and the reflectors on the vehicle.

#22 ·
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty–Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act was the first federal statute to address the law ofWarranty. The act (15 U.S.C.A. § 2301 et seq.) mandates that a written warranty on any consumer product that costs more than $5 must completely and conspicuously disclose, in easily understood words, the terms and conditions of the warranty. A warranty may guarantee several things, such as that the item will perform in a certain way or that the manufacturer will repair or replace the item if it is defective.
The act was sponsored by Senators Warren G. Magnuson and Frank E. Moss. Congress passed the act in 1975. Its purpose was to improve the information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products, which are defined as property distributed in commerce and actually used for personal, family, or household purposes. The act provides a federal Cause of Action for consumers who experience problems with warranted durable goods. If a plaintiff prevails against a seller in a lawsuit brought under the act, the plaintiff is entitled to recover all litigation expenses, including attorney's fees based on actual time expended, as determined by the court.
The Act does not require that manufacturers or sellers of consumer products provide written warranties. Instead, the act requires that manufacturers and sellers who do warrant their products to clearly disclose the terms of the warranty so that the consumer understands his or her rights under the warranty.
In addition, according to the act, a written warranty on a consumer product that costs more than $10 must be clearly labeled as "full" or "limited." A full warranty means that whoever promises to fix the item must do so in cases of defect or where the item does not conform to the warranty. This action must be done within a reasonable time and without charge. A limited warranty can contain reasonable restrictions regarding the responsibilities of the manufacturer or seller for the repair or replacement of the item.

#23 ·
So I wanted to put on a pair of Hella horns to replace the Fisher Price one that comes w/ my Optima. The dealer said if they didn't do it, it would void my electrical warranty. Really????

Does Kia Corporate have something published that I can show my dealer to advise him his statements are BS?

#25 ·
This information is incorrect. There is nothing that you need to show your dealer to advise them. Just change them and if they try to void your warranty you contact Kia Corporate. The post directly above yours from last year explains exactly in detail why you are protected.

Unless you fry your electrical system cuz of your horn install it will not void your warranty :thumbsup:
:iagree:

#27 ·
Just had the dealer change my steering setting and they had the hood open (for what I'm not sure, thought they just plugged into the OBD) and the tech was checking out my intake, as well as the blow off to atmosphere mod. After changing some settings and going for a test drive he said it sounded great and called all his tech buddies to have a listen. Not one word was uttered about any possible warranty voiding because of it. I opted for the short ram Injen to avoid any water being sucked in...I had an SRT-4 with a cold air and had a few issues with water and just did not want to deal with it. I know the only sure fire way to avoid all that is to not mod anything, but what fun is that. My SRT was heavily modded and I never had a warranty issue on that. Different companies I know but shouldn't the same basic principles apply?

Either way, a mod should not void a whole warranty. I can see not doing any warranty work being done on a part that was directly affected by a particular mod. It's the game we play with modifying a car...like I said, the only way to make sure your car is covered under warranty is to leave it bone stock (or make friends with your service guys! LOL).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#29 ·
According to Car And Driver, Mazda voided a few autocrossers' warranties for using their vehicles in competitive events. Kind of ironic considering the performance driven ad campaign they were running at the time. But I guess that's still just hearsay.

#30 ·
okay, so a couple days ago I posted about my fog lights going out, and had to take it in to Kia. They said it was an issue with the a switch to turn on the fog lights, but because I installed an HID kit i voided the warranty and have to pay for this fix. How did I void the warranty on a fog light switch by installing an HID kit?

#31 ·
Ask them to show you proof that the HIDs cause the problem with the flog lights. If somehow they are connected then they won't cover the cost of replacing the fog light. If they have no proof of the HID kit causing an electrical issue for the fogs and they are just speculating then they should replace it for you.

#33 ·
Okay thanks. I was telling my parents the same thing that they have nothing to do with each other so how can they blame that on me when other optima's have had the same issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Dealerships will do anything to get out of having to pay for something. It usually works on the average person that isnt informed or doesnt know cars as much. They can be very assertive but it doesn't mean they are right.

#35 · (Edited)
What is a warranty?

A warranty is a promise, often made by a manufacturer, to stand behind its product or to fix certain defects or malfunctions over a period of time. The warranty pays for any covered repairs or part replacements during the warranty period.

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle.

In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.

That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered.

For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty.

However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No.

An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.

A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs.

The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

[h=2]Tips To Avoid Warranty Issues[/h]Here's how to get the most out of your vehicle's warranty:
  • Read your warranty. Often bundled with your owner's manual, the warranty gives a general description and specific details about your coverage. If you have misplaced your owner's manual, look for it online. Check the "Owners" section of your manufacturer's website.
  • Be aware of your warranty period. If problems arise that are covered under the warranty, get them checked out before the warranty expires.
  • Service your car at regular intervals. This is a good idea in any case. But for the sake of keeping your warranty intact, follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Details are in your owner's manual.
  • Keep all service records and receipts, regardless of who performs the service. This includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. Create a file to keep track of repairs; it will come in handy if you have to use your warranty. If you ever have a warranty claim and it appears that you did not maintain your vehicle, your claim could be denied.
  • Complain. If you think a dealer's service advisor denied your warranty claim unfairly, ask to speak with a supervisor. If you still aren't satisfied, contact the manufacturer or go to another dealer. You also may wish to file a complaint with your state Attorney General, local consumer protection office, or the FTC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.