Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,579 Posts
Anyone else have issues with their USB not working? Plug my phone in and it tries to charge and then throws an error and wont charge or play through it.
The factory USB is not for charging, its more for plugging in a usb stick w music or accessing music stored on an android device.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
29,434 Posts
The factory USB is not for charging, its more for plugging in a usb stick w music or accessing music stored on an android device.
I only use the USB for audio files nothing else i ever plugged in was compatible.
Yep exactly, that is what it is designed for, not charging the phone.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
The other possibility is are you using a non-Apple cable? If you’re not using an OEM Apple cable or a “made for Apple” cable then the OS has gotten more persnickety about accepting a charge from an uncertified cable, regardless of the charging source.
Anyone else have issues with their USB not working? Plug my phone in and it tries to charge and then throws an error and wont charge or play through it.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,266 Posts
I can't speak as to the charging capabilities of the USB port that's below the UVO head unit for older model-year Optimas but (at least on my 2018 SXL) it is capable of charging a smartphone, albeit it only supplies 1 amp of current--meaning, if you have a lot of power-hungry apps running on your phone simultaneously (e.g., Google Maps or similar nav app, streaming Pandora), then it's possible that the 1 amp of current the USB port is putting out may not be enough to power *and* charge your phone.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
5 Posts
I have a 2019 Optima LX. I use the USB port to plug in my Android phone so that I can use the "Android Auto" app that I downloaded from Google Play. The USB port charges my phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , i own a kia optima 2016, and i am having the same issue. The solution i ve found to "Actually" charge the phone is to turn of the device you want to charge. The low Amp output can successfully charge a device but @ a very slow rate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.