Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I’m new on this forum and I’ve read through it for quite a long time good stuff. I have a question for everybody or anybody that reads this.I have a 2012 Optima SX I wrecked it one sides gouged up pretty bad. I also have a 2011 SX In perfectly good condition with a brand new engine.
I’d like to knowIf it’s reasonable to pull the moonroof out of the 2012 and install it on my 2011. I’ve been a mechanic for 30 years and I unders cars very well.I’ve also installed all types of glassWindshields side windows you name it I’ve been trained on how to install them in school buses etc. but I’m not familiar with Kia’s assembly process.
As a sidenote I would like to pull the technology package out of the 2012 and install that in my 2011 as well. I’ve had the dash almost completely apart replacing that isolator underneath the motor for the steering and that was quite simple. So is any of this reasonable to attempt or is the electrical system completely different as a generic I’m just not sure I haven’t torn into it now not sure if I would end up biting off more than I can chew.
I could use some solid advice if anybody has attempted this or has knowledge of it thanks. Names Eric by the way

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Anything is possible, but as far as the sunroof, you'd be better off changing the entire roof over, and with the other items, just strip everything down and install the 2012 items.
A lot of work..................is it worth the time for what, maybe a $5000 car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything is possible, but as far as the sunroof, you'd be better off changing the entire roof over, and with the other items, just strip everything down and install the 2012 items.
A lot of work..................is it worth the time for what, maybe a $5000 car?
The hole roof is One thing I was wondering about. Is it a modular unit far as the sunroof is concerned? and then the glass on the ends ?that’s what I im hoping anyways

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well honesty I’m 53, kids are grown and I have a lot of time on my hands these days. The car is fast and fun so why not? Is it possible to do with out major modifications. Does the same body provide a sun roof or no sun roof car are both tops “ removable”? Glued in so to speak?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Well honesty I’m 53, kids are grown and I have a lot of time on my hands these days. The car is fast and fun so why not? Is it possible to do with out major modifications. Does the same body provide a sun roof or no sun roof car are both tops “ removable”? Glued in so to speak?
I agree, but being an old person that can't stand working on cars now, I spoke too quickly. When younger, never hesitated to do conversions of any type, 6cyl to v-8, auto to manual and vice-versa, and even restored a '70 RamAir FB, but now, just complain when work needs to be done on the cars. I hate it!

Seriously, the roof and headliner is different and if going to the factory panoramic roof, I'd change the entire roof. Now where/how to cut on this model, sorry can't help as all the work done in the shops I knew were metal roofs w/o the panoramic top. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
Just my 2 cents, that's a major undertaking. Have not done it, nor looked at it. But just guessing.

Remove windshields (front and back), all interior, cut the pillars, lift roof off, repeat on other car, lower new roof onto new car, weld all seams. Paint etc. Your in for quite a whole lot.

The 11 to 12, how much changed technology wise? Or is your 12 better speced? I know if your car didn't come with it. People say the harness isn't the same (manual seats to power seat swaps) So you might be talking a full wiring harness swap to get that extra sensor or memory seat, etc. Worth it? Eh I don't think so. Your stuck private party sales or junkyard, it'll never pass a carfax with the "extra" stuff. So it's probably yours for life.

I know on my 18, the sunroof is somehow ran though the main control, (the canbus module from K5optimastore.com can control it without direct wiring) not sure how effective that info is on your 11 or 12 though, but might need to swap all that just for the sunroof.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts