Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 & 2015 Kia Optima SX & SXL
945 Posts
The factory vehicles come with an electronically controlled internal wastegate.
External wastegate upgrade requires you to change the internal manifold runner design as well.
Core advantages are: Control boost better. Less cylinder pressure. Much lower EGT. Safer and more reliable.
Hence you can make a ton of power with the external wastegate upgrade & proper ECU tuning.

For example, stock 274BHP puts down about ~210-230WHP on dynojet.
LAP3 has put down anywhere from 340-370WHP with their Wastegate Upgrade & ECU Tuning.
You simply can't make that kind of power on a stock wastegate, where the limit is around a bit over 300WHP range.

Link to the post:
https://www.facebook.com/Lap3usa/posts/1671291329604811

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,426 Posts
One should note that to do the LAP3USA upgrade is very pricey but does significantly boost power over any stock setup.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The factory vehicles come with an electronically controlled internal wastegate.
External wastegate upgrade requires you to change the internal manifold runner design as well.
Core advantages are: Control boost better. Less cylinder pressure. Much lower EGT. Safer and more reliable.
Hence you can make a ton of power with the external wastegate upgrade & proper ECU tuning.

For example, stock 274BHP puts down about ~210-230WHP on dynojet.
LAP3 has put down anywhere from 340-370WHP with their Wastegate Upgrade & ECU Tuning.
You simply can't make that kind of power on a stock wastegate, where the limit is around a bit over 300WHP range.

Link to the post:
https://www.facebook.com/Lap3usa/posts/1671291329604811
Thanks for the input. However, I doubt people guys making over 300 whp have changed their ewg. Maybe some of them can chime in.

·
Registered
2012 & 2015 Kia Optima SX & SXL
945 Posts
Thanks for the input. However, I doubt people guys making over 300 whp have changed their ewg. Maybe some of them can chime in.
You are not going to find people making 300whp and over on this forum, given the fact that almost everyone uses facebook. If you are looking for inputs, you need to join the performance group where you can meet a ton of 300-500WHP Optima owners. LAP3 Performance discussion page or K5 Optima Nation group page.

If you are looking for 300whp and over, here it is. LAP3 Stage2 ECU Tune making 316WHP on dynojet.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,430 Posts
You can see what my custom BTR tune does in my signature below. Swapping to 1 of the 2 stuffed turbo options will give me more power, however, the external wastegate mod from LAP3 (plus tune) is a large leap in power. However, as someone said, it's not cheap. (but it is fun)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts