Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know I have recently purchased the exLED LED kit in 6K color from K5 Optima Store - exLED Kia Optima Custom Interior LED Kit (FREE SHIPPING IN THE US) which I finally got completely installed yesterday.

These LEDs are simply amazing compared to the stock bulbs. Anyone looking to upgrade their stock bulbs or that wants the best in LED lighting for their Optima this is the way to go!!! The 6K is Super Bright Pure White Light!!!

The only problem I ran into was there is nothing for the double sided tape to stick to on the rear of Front Map lights (where the hole is that push button on/off switch goes through the LEDs). And on the passenger side where the front would stick the surface has a hump on the left side making it not completely flat for the double sided tape to sick to, the drivers side is completely flat in this area, (pics and details on what I did to fix these 2 minor issues below).

So here is what you get, keep in mind I got the optional glove box led which is in the little zip lock bag in the middle... Also, the boards are thick & very well made...

Front of the exLEDs

Rear/Connectors of the exLEDs

Dimmer on Front & Rear Map LEDs circled below, it is a small screw you turn to dim or increase the brightness

Now for some comparison pics over factory bulbs

Trunk Stock

Trunk exLED

Glove Box exLED with other lights on in vehicle

Vanity Light exLED (right) compared to Factory (Left)

Rear Map Lights exLED compared to Factory Map Lights Up Front

exLEDs in both Front & Rear Map Lights at factory setting

exLEDs in both Front & Rear Map Lights dimmed down to the lowest setting (still tons of light inside the vehicle)

Overall I am extremely happy with the exLED LEDs & would rate them at a 9/10... The only reason I didnt rate them a 10/10 was because I had to improvise a bit on the front map lights, passenger side more than the drivers side, which I will try to explain below...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The only thing I had to remove from the front and rear interior map lights was the bulbs themselves & the chrome reflectors...

So here is the "hump" I mentioned on the passenger side that is not present on the drivers side Front Map lights. It measures almost exactly 2mm from the flat surface the tape should stick to so I applied a extra layer of double sided tape, the 2 layers together measured just over 2mm. With the extra piece of tape it will stick to the flat part in front of this hump & the other piece of double sided tape would stick to the hump a little.

Here are some pics of what Im talking about... I have a 2012 Optima EX BTW...

Circled in this photo. The circled part is not present on the drivers side.

Measuring shows there is a 2mm difference between it and the flat surface the tape needs to stick to

Pics of extra piece of double sided tape applied to the back of the LED to make the tape stick to the flat surface in front of the hump.

With the tape stacked like this I was able to get the LED to stick to the flat surface and stay put. However, since there is nothing for the tape to stick to on the rear of the LED where the hole is it sagged a little (the passenger side sagged more than the drivers side). I even added an extra piece of 3M doubled sided tape to the rear but it didnt help it stick to anything. To fix this I stuck 4 small pieces of 3M red double sided tape together. After pushing up the LEDs to remove the sag I stuck these at the rear middle of the housing so the back of the LEDs would sit/rest on them & not sag. It was night when I installed these so I will take a pic today to show where I installed them.

After installing these rests you do have to push up a little harder to turn the lights on and off but I could care less since the LEDs do not sag at all with them in place...

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
****... i saw this come up on the classified section and got super excited that i might be able to pick it up cheap then i realized it's a review =(

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
****... i saw this come up on the classified section and got super excited that i might be able to pick it up cheap then i realized it's a review =(
LOL, Sorry I could not figure out how to put [Review] in front of it like the others...

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
I just typed that in... lol and you fancy as h*ll! you have a personal caliper? lol
I never saw anyone use it outside of labs
LOL, Sorry I could not figure out how to put [Review] in front of it like the others...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just typed that in... lol and you fancy as h*ll! you have a personal caliper? lol
I never saw anyone use it outside of labs

LMAO, yes a couple of them actually as I load my own ammo so they are a MUST just for that purpose!!! Not to mention all the other things they are very useful for in measuring... I live in the Deep South, GA, by the way...

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,061 Posts
Awesome review my friend! This is the correct place to leave the review! :thumbsup:

Thank you for leaving a review on this product!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nice work - your review and semi how-to makes this very tempting.

That should be a bumper sticker... :)
All other installs of the LEDs is straight forward, the only other one I had issues with was the trunk because I was stupid not knowing to squeeze the black connector to remove the housing...

You can see this thread on how I installed it w/o removing the housing...

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/7-optima-appearance-body-modifications/32633-exled-led-kit-6000k-color-w-glove-box-led-here-post526546.html#post526546

Awesome review my friend! This is the correct place to leave the review! :thumbsup:

Thank you for leaving a review on this product!
Your welcome and THANK YOU for supplying it to me cheaper than I could purchase it myself with the extra Glove Box LED!!!

To get yours go here! http://www.k5optimastore.com/products/interiorled

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
121 Posts
These look great but I'd like to see how the front maps plug in
is it just plug n play or not really
also how hard was it to remove the reflectors

thanks for the review

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
These look great but I'd like to see how the front maps plug in
is it just plug n play or not really
also how hard was it to remove the reflectors

thanks for the review
Yes 100% plug and play for the back after removing the reflectors... Plug and stick with double sided tape in the front after removing the reflectors... See post #2 for a few tips on the double sided tape & the extra pieces of tape I used to keep the rear part of the light from hanging down which I ran into on my 2012 Optima EX, yours may be different and may stick correctly in the front and back without issues...

The reflectors are easy to remove just some tugging and wiggling is all that is needed & they come out. You could also cut them out, I decided to take mine out in case I ever needed em (for what I dunno)... Do be careful as they have serrated edges on 2 of the tabs that hold them in place so if ur not careful u might cut yourself or scar up ur interior...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts