Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia 2014 Optima LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Optima EX. I had to replace the little flexible coupling between the power steering motor and gearbox. Replacement went fine and took just over an hour. A couple days later I noticed that the ESC light was on constantly. I did forget to connect the brake light switch after the repair and couldn't start the car until I plugged the harness into the switch. I have triple checked all of the connections multiple times and cannot find anything amiss.

I had to buy a new code scanner to read the ABS codes and when I first connected it I had 4 error codes:

C1688 (1/4) Signal Error
C1611 (2/4) HECU CAN Communication
C1612 (3/4) HECU No TCU CAN Message
C1260 (4/4) Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Signal Implausible

After seeing these codes, I suspected I may have left off a cable, but dove in and triple checked everything and didn't find anything I missed!

I used the Code scanner to reset the ABS computer (clear codes)

After clearing the codes, it returns only a C1260 (1/1) Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Signal Implausible which seems to indicate a faulty steering wheel angle sensor. But after doing some research, I find some posts claiming LED tail lights, and a few other issues can cause the TCS light to be illuminated. I have been driving the car for months without any issues and other than replacing the motor coupling on the power steering, there have been no other changes or modifications. The car is stock but I do have some LED lights but they were installed about 12 months ago without any issues or CEL lights so I don't want to believe its the LED tail lights and brake light bulbs causing the problem months after their installation.

I have uploaded the ESC error codes here: Deleted .....apparently I can't post a link!!!!

At this point, I have removed all of the connections and reinserted them again. I was not able to get the small 2 pin connector with the red and black wires out of the steering angle sensor but I can't see any issues with the wires or connector.

If anyone has any ideas where to go from here (without paying the dealer a small fortune) it will be most appreciated.

Will also state that the car is a salvage vehicle that I repaired about a year ago and other than the starter fork breaking, the car has been great for me as a commuter, no complaints!

Thanks for any insight, it will be most appreciated!

Bill
text/cell

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 Optima EX. I had to replace the little flexible coupling between the power steering motor and gearbox. Replacement went fine and took just over an hour. A couple days later I noticed that the ESC light was on constantly. I did forget to connect the brake light switch after the repair and couldn't start the car until I plugged the harness into the switch. I have triple checked all of the connections multiple times and cannot find anything amiss.

I had to buy a new code scanner to read the ABS codes and when I first connected it I had 4 error codes:

C1688 (1/4) Signal Error
C1611 (2/4) HECU CAN Communication
C1612 (3/4) HECU No TCU CAN Message
C1260 (4/4) Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Signal Implausible

After seeing these codes, I suspected I may have left off a cable, but dove in and triple checked everything and didn't find anything I missed!

I used the Code scanner to reset the ABS computer (clear codes)

After clearing the codes, it returns only a C1260 (1/1) Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Signal Implausible which seems to indicate a faulty steering wheel angle sensor. But after doing some research, I find some posts claiming LED tail lights, and a few other issues can cause the TCS light to be illuminated. I have been driving the car for months without any issues and other than replacing the motor coupling on the power steering, there have been no other changes or modifications. The car is stock but I do have some LED lights but they were installed about 12 months ago without any issues or CEL lights so I don't want to believe its the LED tail lights and brake light bulbs causing the problem months after their installation.

I have uploaded the ESC error codes here: Deleted .....apparently I can't post a link!!!!

At this point, I have removed all of the connections and reinserted them again. I was not able to get the small 2 pin connector with the red and black wires out of the steering angle sensor but I can't see any issues with the wires or connector.

If anyone has any ideas where to go from here (without paying the dealer a small fortune) it will be most appreciated.

Will also state that the car is a salvage vehicle that I repaired about a year ago and other than the starter fork breaking, the car has been great for me as a commuter, no complaints!

Thanks for any insight, it will be most appreciated!

Bill
text/cell
Had Dealer change the steering coupler and since then the ESC light comes on after diving a few miles, Must set up appointment but something in the course of repair they must have left loose or not connected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.