Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when it rains it pours. After about 1 month of back and forth with Kia and the dealership my car was finally approved for the replacement engine(small block). Picked the car up on August 30th and then without warning coming home from my birthday dinner on September 12th as I pulled out of the gas station and turned onto the main road car just slowed to a stop as I pressed the accelerator. On board diagnostics said it detected a transmission control issue and sent the report to my preferred dealership, my UVO account and scheduled an appointment. AAA towed it that night to the dealership and now I wait with baited breath for the news. Seriously how messed up is this that I have a newish engine then the tranny goes in 2 weeks time. Yes it does have 154K but my Chrysler lasted until 376K and I only gave that up because I the subframe had cracks.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
397 Posts
What a coincidence, hopefully something easy and cheap. It does remind me I need to do a drain/fill, mine is at 193k and I'm sure its original trans fluid. Luck on your situation.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
I was going to say a fluid leak, but if that were the case you probably would have noticed the fluid under thre car.
Know the pain. When the KSDS update was done, I pulled out of the stealership and after the first stop, about 1/4 mile away, the trans slipped when shifting.
Should have gone back, but drove home and it continued for a couple days, bottom line ATF temp sensor kaput. Called stealership, complained and they
said it was a coincidence and the update had nothing to do with the failure. I changed the ATF sensor and good to go.
Been around cars my entire life, and know how a problem can occur quickly, but in this instance.....................................

Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
Hmm, we recently had another member say how they had a transmission fluid leak after they got their car back from Kia doing the engine replacement.

So that's two separate situations where the engine replacement resulted in transmission issues. Could it be a new strategy or something the service centers are using, to get some more lucrative business via transmission work, instead of just doing the engine replacement?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
What a coincidence, hopefully something easy and cheap. It does remind me I need to do a drain/fill, mine is at 193k and I'm sure its original trans fluid. Luck on your situation.
Please share your experience doing the trans fluid drain/fill. I've been meaning to DIY that procedure too, and keep putting it off. Where are you going to buy/order your fluid?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Please share your experience doing the trans fluid drain/fill. I've been meaning to DIY that procedure too, and keep putting it off. Where are you going to buy/order your fluid?
I use Valvoline Max Life, Walmart @ $17 gal.

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I get a call from the dealership with a diagnosis and cost for repair. They say that "something", there technical terminology, is bad in the transmission and that the whole transmission needs to be replaced. Okay I say what's the cost. $4200. What? I ask if if there is a cheaper option such as a rebuilt transmission. That is followed by "what's a rebuilt transmission? Like from the junk yard?" I go one to explain them they come back with "Oh, it is a rebuilt transmission direct from KIA. So what part exactly went bad inside the transmission. Umm is the response. Cost for the Transmission is $1387 and the balance is labor." No way can you tell me that you are charging me $200 per hour and it takes 14 hours to replace the transmission and at the standard $109-$130 that would make the time even more ridiculous . "Oh, let me speak to our service manager" Still waiting to hear back. I was even generous in calculation labor at $200 per hour. Called another KIA dealership and they where dumbstruck by that quote. They confirmed that the rebuilt did indeed cost $1387 but they could do the whole job for $2400. I told the new dealership that I have to give the other guy the benefit of the doubt and wait to hear back from them. Perhaps the counter person got the numbers confused ? Anyway AAA is on speed dial to get my car towed across the river to the 2nd dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got a transmission installed in a non-kia. Dealer was willing to install my own transmission for $800. It’s about a 6 hour job from what they told me. Just to to another dealer if need be. Your insurance probably provides free towing.

Keep in mind that some dealers make almost ALL of their money from the service department, and some service advisors are actually paid on commission. In other words, they have in inventive to overcharge you.

I know someone who was quoted over $4000 for a repair that can be done in a hour, and the parts max out at $700. When research was done and the dealership was confronted, they tried to deny all knowledge of even quoting that vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got a transmission installed in a non-kia. Dealer was willing to install my own transmission for $800. It’s about a 6 hour job from what they told me. Just to to another dealer if need be. Your insurance probably provides free towing.

Keep in mind that some dealers make almost ALL of their money from the service department, and some service advisors are actually paid on commission. In other words, they have in inventive to overcharge you.

I know someone who was quoted over $4000 for a repair that can be done in a hour, and the parts max out at $700. When research was done and the dealership was confronted, they tried to deny all knowledge of even quoting that vehicle.
The commission thing must be why I had a service manager get really aggressive with me a few months back.

Long story short, I had an oil leak and the Kia dealer wanted $2k to fix it - apparently several major gaskets were talking failing. Got a second opinion, and the manager proceeded to trash talk the mechanic i got the second opinion from. Went with the other shop and $300 later they only needed to fix the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, Brett. I actually just saw a news special about this on YouTube. It’s like a Canadian version of Dateline or 20/20 but it applies here as well. I never assumed the Advisors were on commission.

I knew the techs were on commission , and I figured the advisors were designed to keep them in check and from exaggerating repair work. I was wrong.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
397 Posts
Hence the label, "Stealerships"...I use them only for warranty work if it applies...

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
73 Posts
A friend of mine used to be an advisor for an Audi dealership. He made buku commission. Apparently most Audi customers don't care how much stuff costs.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL Turbo
26 Posts
Hmm, we recently had another member say how they had a transmission fluid leak after they got their car back from Kia doing the engine replacement.

So that's two separate situations where the engine replacement resulted in transmission issues. Could it be a new strategy or something the service centers are using, to get some more lucrative business via transmission work, instead of just doing the engine replacement?
Yeah that was me. Ended up replacing the whole transmission myself out of pocket because the dealer & KMA refused to comp the cost for it. No way to know if issue was related to the engine failure or if it was coincidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts