Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son’s 2015 Optima suffered the rod bearIng failure and the engine is toast.

Kia is denying repair as it does not have the knock sensor update. My son bought it used a year ago and had no idea there was such as thing. Kind of hard to get an update one does not know of.

Any recommended course of action? I already went through the Kia line who said tough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
I agree, how does one know about an update, not a recall, but in the settlement, to have the engine lifetime warranty, the KSDS update must be done. If the car has ever been to a stealership since your son owned the car, they would have performed open updates and/or recalls.
At times, they try to worm their way out of a replacement even though an update has been done, but what do you do now, for once I don't have any advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My son’s 2015 Optima suffered the rod bearIng failure and the engine is toast.

Kia is denying repair as it does not have the knock sensor update. My son bought it used a year ago and had no idea there was such as thing. Kind of hard to get an update one does not know of.

Any recommended course of action? I already went through the Kia line who said tough.

Thanks!
I have a copy of the knock sensor recall send me your email and I will send it to you and take that to the dealer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The knock sensor update is not a recall, it is a ”product improvement“. If you search for recalls it does not show up.

Unfortunately we and the dealer are aware of it. Problem is, no update , no extended warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok well I have the recall notification but I did have the extended warranty so I guess that’s the difference then sorry about that

·
Registered
2013 SXL SXL
3 Posts
I was going through the exact same issue and after dealing with KIA directly a 3rd time (it didn't go well) I was surprised to get a call from the dealership stating they received approval for the engine replacement. At the time, I did not have the KSDS update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going through the exact same issue and after dealing with KIA directly a 3rd time (it didn't go well) I was surprised to get a call from the dealership stating they received approval for the engine replacement. At the time, I did not have the KSDS update.
Anything seem to help. Were you able to go to a higher authority?

Maybe just keep calling?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts