Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I was on my way to my mother-in-law's and after acceleration from a stop sign the engine stopped. It was difficult to get the vehicle started at first, the engine would turn over once then stop. This happened for the first few tries, after waiting 30 or so minutes I tried again and the engine started. When I put it into drive it started rolling, but when I gave it some gas the engine stopped again. I started the engine again, and tried moving and the engine stopped again. I had it towed to an auto shop to try and diagnose the issue, they couldn't get the vehicle started despite the battery and alternator being OK. After putting the vehicle in neutral they were successful in starting the vehicle, and even drove it around a bit to make sure it was running. During a phone call they mentioned it may be a parking neutral safety switch or something along those lines.*

I was wondering if a replacement part is needed or if there's another issue that may be causing this to happen. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

edit: shop's suggested issue

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So did anyone read the CEL codes? Even if not set on dash, it may be a pending code.
No check engine light came on as far as I'm aware, even when I tried turning it over a light never came on. I'll call the shop tomorrow morning and see what they had and update this.

A neutral safety switch won't stop the car from running.
As above if the CEL came on what were the codes?
I'll call the shop and let them know, thank you so much for the input!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,283 Posts
Normally when these crappy engines stop while in motion, my first thought would be the, what
I call the notorious bottom end engine problem, but as it's now running properly, guess not.
I take it the oil was full or at least in the safe area, other than that, tuff without troubleshooting.

As the engine cranked while in park, I say just an anomoly when it started in neutral.
The engine will sound and act the same when the in tank fuel pump goes, hard to start, might
catch for a second, then die again, and I've seen some that come back to life for a short period,
but once again, yours has been fine for weeks. Guess it's a wait and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the shop this morning to ask if there were any CEL codes on history/pending and was told there were none that came up recently. I asked the guy on the phone to start it up for me and give it some juice to try and replicate the problem I was having in the first place since it didn't seem like I got my point across the first time around when I told them the engine died while I was driving it. He said he'd give it a shot and call me back and I got no call back from 9am to 5pm (when they closed). So I'm assuming they either ran into an issue or don't care to test it, I'll update this thread tomorrow when I go to potentially pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,283 Posts
Good luck. Sometimes a fault occurs and if not diagnosed when it occurs, difficult for a shop to replicate the issue.

Years ago the daughter's Maxima shut down when driving and as she was the shore for the weekend, the wife and I drove down and picked up the car. Drove it all weekend, no problem. It happened again to her, so as she had an extended warranty off to the Nissan dealer. They couldn't find the problem even though it happened to the mechanic when out for a test ride. Guess I had to get involved, bottom line, took ohm readings on the IAC, no good, so replaced and good to go.

Had a Cadillac that the Caddy dealer couldn't find the problem, so I drove it around off and on for two day with the scanner and never did find the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts