Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 optima
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the forums. Really need some good advice. I have a 2012 Kia Optima, I was driving today and my car started slowing down all the sudden and shut off. My coolant, battery, and oil lights all came on. Tried to jump car thinking it was the battery and still nothing. We tried to rev the other car to get more vaults and started seeing smoke coming from the engine. Smelled like burning electrical. We stopped and lowered the throttle. We pushed it across the street and off the road. Getting car towed tomorrow. I'm thinking its ignition coil has anyone had this problem or similar. Trying to get much advice as I can before I go. All advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX
229 Posts
All the lights coming on- those come on when engine stalls. They don't mean anything. Burning electrical smell.- that's caused from you jump starting.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,491 Posts
welcome to the forums, I wish under better circumstances. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, new to the forums. Really need some good advice. I have a 2012 Kia Optima, I was driving today and my car started slowing down all the sudden and shut off. My coolant, battery, and oil lights all came on. Tried to jump car thinking it was the battery and still nothing. We tried to rev the other car to get more vaults and started seeing smoke coming from the engine. Smelled like burning electrical. We stopped and lowered the throttle. We pushed it across the street and off the road. Getting car towed tomorrow. I'm thinking its ignition coil has anyone had this problem or similar. Trying to get much advice as I can before I go. All advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Kia Optima as well. I was driving home from work and my car just died. When I went to start it it blew out a puff of smoke that smelt like something burning. I changed the battery, the ,alternator, and the starter. Went to start my car and it just blew out a puff of smoke again. It started with a small puff then a big cloud came after. Looked like it was coming from under the battery so I pulled the battery again to check it but nothing from the wires were hot. What could the problem be. Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Was driving home from work and my car just shut off. Tried to start it and it blew out a cloud of smoke. Smelt like something burning. Like plastic. I changed the battery, the alternator and the starter. Went to start it again and it blew out a puff of smoke then turned into a cloud and again smelt like burnt plastic. The smoke looked like it was coming from under the battery. I pulled the battery again and checked the wires none of the were hot and all ground wires are connected. Everything works from lights to wipers and I can switch gears. Just cant figure out why the smoke and why it wont start if anyone can help i would be very grateful. Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Was driving home from work and my car just shut off. Tried to start it and it blew out a cloud of smoke. Smelt like something burning. Like plastic. I changed the battery, the alternator and the starter. Went to start it again and it blew out a puff of smoke then turned into a cloud and again smelt like burnt plastic. The smoke looked like it was coming from under the battery. I pulled the battery again and checked the wires none of the were hot and all ground wires are connected. Everything works from lights to wipers and I can switch gears. Just cant figure out why the smoke and why it wont start if anyone can help i would be very grateful. Thank you
Did you find out what was wrong with your vehicle? I’m having the same problem.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,550 Posts
Best to list year, model, engine, and mileage, but welcome and did you have the ecu scanned for any stored codes, and does the car start or at least turn over when the button is pushed, or the key is turned?
Many have found that when the engine shuts off with smoke etc, the engine gave up and needs replacement. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if the engine happens to be kaput, Kia has a lifetime warranty on the engine given the updates have been performed.

Just need more info.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,706 Posts
Agreed, need more details on how the car is not working, what it's doing etc.

Like, if you press the start button and no sound is made, that's a different diagnosis compared to when you press the start button, and you hear the engine cranking over, but it fails to 'catch' and run.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am just had the same exact problem happen to my 2014 optima sx turbo. was driving my car then out of no where slowed down to a complete stop. i tried to start it but nothing was happening. opened the hood to see it lightly smoking with a smell of electric burning.

·
Registered
1 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts