Kia Optima Forums banner

501 - 520 of 520 Posts

·
05/2015 ROTM
2011 Kia Optima
535 Posts
Yes, thank you for creating this many moons ago! :D

Service manager called and he told me my BOV was the cause :lmao:. I just laughed and gave him the service alert (ENG009r3). I politely explained what the actual problem is. After about an hour he calls back and says "you're right sir, there is a fix for that, but the car has to be completely cold for the tech to actually do it." I guess my car will be there for another day. They offered to get me a rental, but I didn't want the hassle of having to go pick one up and I already have a ride to work for the day.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well long in the tooth on this. This problem has happened three times now. The error code determined it was the ECU. Dealer replaced it. About 6 months later, happened again. Code determined it was the waste gate. Dealer replaced. All good for the moment.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Well long in the tooth on this. This problem has happened three times now. The error code determined it was the ECU. Dealer replaced it. About 6 months later, happened again. Code determined it was the waste gate. Dealer replaced. All good for the moment.
My 2014 Camaro SS has given me no issues... The optima simply didn't quit having new issues to deal with :(

·
Registered
2011 Optima EX 2011 Optima EX
4 Posts
I too had this issue back in 2013 with a 2011 Optima EX turbo.

Fast forward to now. It has come back. No turbo, restart and turbo works. Eventually the CEL triggers and no turbo, restart will not fix. Clear code with inexpensive reader. Turbo is back. I'm not sure for how long....

Recently I had the turbo oil feed line replaced per SA300B. They messed up and didn't reattach the rod (found hanging)... so obviously no turbo. Went back and they reattached the rod (special c-clip needed). Turbo worked OK for about 2 months... I thought OK' its fixed. Not so, it has came back.

I tried to measure the voltage, but I'm 65 and its below freezing here in Minnesota and my cold hands and cheater glasses don't make for easy work in tight spaces. I did measure 4.85 vdc, so it is way out.... but I'm not 100% if I measured the right wire (yellow) at plug.

So has anyone else had this problem? Will the electronic waste gate settings move over time? Multiple rod adjustments needed?
I guess I'm going to take it back and see if they will check for free ... but probably not. I don't think I want to try adjusting the rod, at least not at this time of year.

Also per this thread, I did order some high temp graphite. I'm not sure if it will help this issues, as out of upper control limit is out. Lubricant should just help it be smoother when it is working.??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can I join this club? I'm pretty sure I qualify...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this thread is alive, But i guess ill describe my problem, 2012 Kia Optima SX GDI. got a P2562 Code and it feels like the turbo doesnt want to work at all, was told it was the switch needing replacement but i cant find anything under a good ol $400 mark, not sure if anyone has any other parts theyve bought.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, I fixed the problem by trading in the Optima for a 2019 Stinger GT2. Certainly no turbo issues now!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this post, but I've got an issue. 2011 SX Turbo, and now that it's cold, we have been having the "no power/acceleration" issue, but we could turn the car off and back on and it would be fine. However, yesterday we tried that and this time the check engine light came on and still no power.
Took it to the dealer this morning and they called and said that we have a bad Wastgate and that it needs to be replaced. Price - $790.55.
So I quickly did some research and found that 100's of people have had this exact issue and that TSB ENG099 was the fix.
I do remember about 5 years ago taking it in for the cold start rattle and we had the TSB104 completed, but I don't see anything in my paperwork that they also performed ENG099.
So I called the dealer back and explained that their is a TSB on the issue and said that they first need to try what KIA said and gave him the ENG099 TSB to look up. He sounded pretty upset and tried to tell me that TSB's are only suggestions and that their tech guys already determined that the Wastgate was bad. He then said that I would have to pay for that service and when that wasn't the fix, I would have to pay for the initial suggestion.
I asked him to first show the tech the ENG099 TSB, and then request for approval for the TSB since I am out of warranty.
Note - they had to put in a new motor 11 months ago after it locked up (warranty), but I've had to take it back several times for things not hooked up correctly. I'm wondering if they just didn't adjust the Wastgate bar when putting it all back together.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this post, but I've got an issue. 2011 SX Turbo, and now that it's cold, we have been having the "no power/acceleration" issue, but we could turn the car off and back on and it would be fine. However, yesterday we tried that and this time the check engine light came on and still no power.
Took it to the dealer this morning and they called and said that we have a bad Wastgate and that it needs to be replaced. Price - $790.55.
So I quickly did some research and found that 100's of people have had this exact issue and that TSB ENG099 was the fix.
I do remember about 5 years ago taking it in for the cold start rattle and we had the TSB104 completed, but I don't see anything in my paperwork that they also performed ENG099.
So I called the dealer back and explained that their is a TSB on the issue and said that they first need to try what KIA said and gave him the ENG099 TSB to look up. He sounded pretty upset and tried to tell me that TSB's are only suggestions and that their tech guys already determined that the Wastgate was bad. He then said that I would have to pay for that service and when that wasn't the fix, I would have to pay for the initial suggestion.
I asked him to first show the tech the ENG099 TSB, and then request for approval for the TSB since I am out of warranty.
Note - they had to put in a new motor 11 months ago after it locked up (warranty), but I've had to take it back several times for things not hooked up correctly. I'm wondering if they just didn't adjust the Wastgate bar when putting it all back together.

Thoughts anyone?
Quick Update - They called me and said that they never did the ENG099 because that TSB doesn't come up when they put in my VIN. He said that he recommends replacing the Wastegate, but that he has not checked the voltage. He then said "I've worked for KIA for 5 years and this issues all end up coming back in for us to replace the wastegate." So, I said to check the voltage and get back with me. But he said that since the ENG099 doesn't come up on my VIN, they will not put in a request for DPSM approval for KIA to pay for it. Pfffft!

·
Registered
2013 Optima K5 Optima
11 Posts
I've replaced the wastegate and still get the problem on and off. I'm trying to find the where someone posted directions to adjust the voltage yourself. I believe it's within this thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quick Update - They called me and said that they never did the ENG099 because that TSB doesn't come up when they put in my VIN. He said that he recommends replacing the Wastegate, but that he has not checked the voltage. He then said "I've worked for KIA for 5 years and this issues all end up coming back in for us to replace the wastegate." So, I said to check the voltage and get back with me. But he said that since the ENG099 doesn't come up on my VIN, they will not put in a request for DPSM approval for KIA to pay for it. Pfffft!
Update: They called me back and said that the voltage is "out of wack" (real quote). I asked them to do the TSB ENG099, and he said that they would do it for $100, but then he said that he would see me back in there in a few weeks with the same problem and that I should just replace the Wastegate now. So, I should believe what he is saying and pay $790.55, or believe what others have done here on this thread and pay $100 (which I don't think I should pay, but will).

I'm having the TSB done for $100 and will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
I'd be concerned that he will intentionally do the TSB incorrectly so that he doesn't look dumb for saying you'd be back.

He's invested in making sure you come back, he already committed to that hard sell.

Luckily you can check the wastegate voltage on your own now before you take the car in (take a photo), confirm it is wrong, and then repeat the test when you get the car back.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,063 Posts
To see how to set the wg voltage, and I'd set it 4.0 +/- 0.10 volts (Hyundai specs):
Just google setting wastegate voltage Hyundai Sonata and take your pick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: They called me back and said that the voltage is "out of wack" (real quote). I asked them to do the TSB ENG099, and he said that they would do it for $100, but then he said that he would see me back in there in a few weeks with the same problem and that I should just replace the Wastegate now. So, I should believe what he is saying and pay $790.55, or believe what others have done here on this thread and pay $100 (which I don't think I should pay, but will).

I'm having the TSB done for $100 and will let you know how it goes.

Just FYI - picked the car up, paid the $100 and it runs great! It's been a few days and no problems. When I picked it up, he told me that they didn't suggest doing the TSB ENG099 because it didn't come up on my VIN. I reminded them that they did the cold engine start rattle TBD104 years ago, and that this should have been done at that same time. He disagreed. I took the keys and just left.

501 - 520 of 520 Posts