Kia Optima Forums banner

481 - 500 of 520 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Update- Well it happened 6 times in a row that my car were in limp mode and by the time I got to the dealer it became normal, Arghh. I told them maybe because the car has warm up so the problem has gone away, they told me there's nothing they can do until they see the problem because they check everything including the wastegate and its all within specs. So I told them to leave my car at their dealer and started up tomorrow morning then they'll see and then I left. Those of you that has this problem fixed, what is the most common thing besides the TSB 110, 0099, 104? Keep in mind I have a Canadian model and don't know if there's a difference or not. Did it come back afterwards? They won't do anything unless the CEL lights comes on is basically what they're telling me :angry:, Sigh. If they actually fix this and it happens again a few times then I have no choice but to get rid of this car even though I don't want to and look for a V6 sedan instead. Hopefully it doesn't happen or I might use it as an excuse to get a new car lol. Please chime in and give me some advice on what to do. Also the service department is willing to listen and work with me so I have no problem with that and it's not their fault and it just pisses me off that they can't find the problem lol. Sorry for the long RANT guys as I'm fucking pissed right now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Update- Well it happened 6 times in a row that my car were in limp mode and by the time I got to the dealer it became normal, Arghh. I told them maybe because the car has warm up so the problem has gone away, they told me there's nothing they can do until they see the problem because they check everything including the wastegate and its all within specs. So I told them to leave my car at their dealer and started up tomorrow morning then they'll see and then I left. Those of you that has this problem fixed, what is the most common thing besides the TSB 110, 0099, 104? Keep in mind I have a Canadian model and don't know if there's a difference or not. Did it come back afterwards? They won't do anything unless the CEL lights comes on is basically what they're telling me :angry:, Sigh. If they actually fix this and it happens again a few times then I have no choice but to get rid of this car even though I don't want to and look for a V6 sedan instead. Hopefully it doesn't happen or I might use it as an excuse to get a new car lol. Please chime in and give me some advice on what to do. Also the service department is willing to listen and work with me so I have no problem with that and it's not their fault and it just pisses me off that they can't find the problem lol. Sorry for the long RANT guys as I'm fucking pissed right now.
Damm I'm sorry to hear that, did they check the voltage on the wastegate?? When it happened to me my check engine light went on and off twice within 4 days but when heading to the dealer it had shut off, they knew what the problem was right away when I examined to them. All they said was it needed a turbo adjustment. Also the problem hasn't come back since, thank god!! If they keep giving you a hard time try taking it to another dealer maybe? It literally took them 10 min to fix

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Damm I'm sorry to hear that, did they check the voltage on the wastegate?? When it happened to me my check engine light went on and off twice within 4 days but when heading to the dealer it had shut off, they knew what the problem was right away when I examined to them. All they said was it needed a turbo adjustment. Also the problem hasn't come back since, thank god!! If they keep giving you a hard time try taking it to another dealer maybe? It literally took them 10 min to fix

Thanks, don't know what they check but according to the technician everything is within specs as it should be, actually I just called earlier and they still did not find the issue. To make matters worse the light did not come on at all so its not easy for them to detect the problem. The car currently parked at the dealer overnight and I will find out in the morning once they try to start the car. Regardless I know it will come back and if it does happen then I will drive it straight to the dealer and show them. :mad:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
224 Posts
**** =\ hopefully it does it on them when they try in the morning, also if not tell them you'll record a video of it to prove them. It's weird that nothing is showing up on them and they say everything is up to spec, but anyways good luck !!

·
Registered
185 Posts
the same thing just happened to my car as well. I'm taking it in after I remove the BOV. I don't want them to see that. lol

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
the same thing just happened to my car as well. I'm taking it in after I remove the BOV. I don't want them to see that. lol
LOL and hopefully you'll get it fix. Ever since I went for a dealer visit last week it never came back but the funny thing is they didn't find anything wrong with my car so they didn't do anything to fix it lol. Anyways GL and keep us posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been having this same issue on my Canadian 2011 SX for a few months now. It started about 2 or 3 months ago and when it would happen, the engine light went on and I had ZERO acceleration... brutal on the highway, not so bad around town. Then went off and was all good again. Shortly thereafter, it came on and I brought it to the dealership. They removed the error code on the car and told me that this just happens as its cold outside. The light came back on shortly after the visit and I still have no acceleration (weeks now). If anyone knows what the exact issue or fix is on this please share, as I will then share with KIA who do not know how to fix their own cars.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
I have been having this same issue on my Canadian 2011 SX for a few months now. It started about 2 or 3 months ago and when it would happen, the engine light went on and I had ZERO acceleration... brutal on the highway, not so bad around town. Then went off and was all good again. Shortly thereafter, it came on and I brought it to the dealership. They removed the error code on the car and told me that this just happens as its cold outside. The light came back on shortly after the visit and I still have no acceleration (weeks now). If anyone knows what the exact issue or fix is on this please share, as I will then share with KIA who do not know how to fix their own cars.
Yep, it came back after they adjusted my wastegate on New Year eve and last night the CEL actually came on so it will give them something to work on. Really like this car but this limp mode $hit is killing me. Currently at the dealer right now and they will order a new wastegate, sucks and I dont know if ordering a new one will solve the issue but better than nothing I guess.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the wastegate issue a few months back. I will give huge props to my local Kia service department (their sales department sucks a fat one). I called them and explained the issue and what I believed it to be (wastegate off voltage). Brought the car in and dropped it off over night. They didn't need to test drive it as they trusted my judgement, checked the voltage, and sure enough it was off. They adjusted it and then did an ECM update. I picked the car up and what do you know? POWER!!!

Next day, cold start, limp mode again. I call Kia, they tell me to bring it up after work and they will get right on it. Pull the car in, check the voltage, off again. When the technician did the ECM update he hadn't done the drive test to save the voltage settings. They fixed it and I have no issues since. -4 degree start this morning, and aside from my battery struggling, no limp mode at all. Keep an ear out for them doing an ECM update if they work on the car to be sure you don't have to go back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the wastegate issue a few months back. I will give huge props to my local Kia service department (their sales department sucks a fat one). I called them and explained the issue and what I believed it to be (wastegate off voltage). Brought the car in and dropped it off over night. They didn't need to test drive it as they trusted my judgement, checked the voltage, and sure enough it was off. They adjusted it and then did an ECM update. I picked the car up and what do you know? POWER!!!

Next day, cold start, limp mode again. I call Kia, they tell me to bring it up after work and they will get right on it. Pull the car in, check the voltage, off again. When the technician did the ECM update he hadn't done the drive test to save the voltage settings. They fixed it and I have no issues since. -4 degree start this morning, and aside from my battery struggling, no limp mode at all. Keep an ear out for them doing an ECM update if they work on the car to be sure you don't have to go back.
Okay, this is great... so to confirm, you didnt need a new wastegate, just the voltage adjusted? I am bringing mine into the dealer to fix this weekend. I went in this week just to do a test drive with the mechanic to show him the issue. I put my foot to the floor and NO EXCELLERATION... so I said to him, see? He said, "yeah, you might have an acceleration problem or something". I was just a bit frustrated that he didnt seem to see a problem the issue that I thought was so obvious.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Okay, this is great... so to confirm, you didnt need a new wastegate, just the voltage adjusted? I am bringing mine into the dealer to fix this weekend. I went in this week just to do a test drive with the mechanic to show him the issue. I put my foot to the floor and NO EXCELLERATION... so I said to him, see? He said, "yeah, you might have an acceleration problem or something". I was just a bit frustrated that he didnt seem to see a problem the issue that I thought was so obvious.
Just to let you know they adjusted my wastegate too and the limp mode came back even though they erase the CEL light on my car. Ive been driving around for 4 days now in limp mode and still waiting for the part to arrive at the dealer. Adjusting the wastegate usually works but some members had no choice but to replace it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So, I have 38K miles on my 2011 SX. It's been extremely cold over the last few weeks and I've finally experienced the lack of power issue. Is the final word on the issue to have TSB-110 performed? Everywhere I've looked says this is for the 2012 SX. Any clarification you all can give would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anyone? I've read through the thread and it's not clear which one(s) need to be used.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer and let them look at it ASAP. I have a 12 SX and have had it in twice, first for just a wastegate adjustment (early this summer) and now again because the winter weather needed another adjustment and an ECU update.

Not sure if it's the same, but I'd put money your wastegate is just out of whack related to the temperature. The first time I eventually had the car permanently go into a limp mode, this second time my CEL came on and off by itself several times, but really is something where the car seems to need to be heated up in these single degree temps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks, Throwdown. I haven't had any issues with my '11 SX. Hopefully this isn't just the beginning.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Wow 3 years later & this thread still going strong!

When I first started it I thought "**** nobody gonna respond, I'm screwed!"

Well even thou I no longer have the nice yet problematic optima, I will say that it was fun 3 year ride :)

Sent from a JB iPh5S v7.0.6

·
05/2015 ROTM
2011 Kia Optima
535 Posts
My car did this yesterday. At first I was freaked out, and thought I broke something! Came here, and this thread eased my mind. Car is in the shop today, for a different issue which was scheduled last week, so hopefully they can knock both issues out in one visit. Will update when I pick it up.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
My car did this yesterday. At first I was freaked out, and thought I broke something! Came here, and this thread eased my mind. Car is in the shop today, for a different issue which was scheduled last week, so hopefully they can knock both issues out in one visit. Will update when I pick it up.
Glad my thread helped ease your mind. Welcome!

Sent from a JB iPh5S v7.0.6

481 - 500 of 520 Posts