Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning car started normal, but as I drove to work I immediatly noticed, it only had HALF the power, almost like it running 2cyl instead of 4cyl... yes, I'm clueless about cars in general lol

so once I stopped the car after a 30min drive on the highway (on the slow lane since I couldnt even pass a honda civic), I stopped at my 1st red light and shut car off, then turned it back on... and it was fixed!~ WTF??

any ideas what went wrong??

Thx guys

·
Registered
468 Posts
First it sounded like the waste gate. is this a turbo car???? If it is time to go to the dealer and see if the waste gate needs adjustment or replacing.. a turbo car running with out the turbos help is like driving a 3 cylinder geo metro LOL.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've noticed that it lacks the get up and go while cold/warming up. Typically on forced induction motors you want to wait for it to reach full operating temps before really getting on it, perhaps this is what you were experiencing.

As Berto mentioned it could very well be related to the ECU controlling the wastegate, not allowing you to fully boost. A boost gauge would confirm or deny this.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I thought I read on the forum on another thread that on the turbo motor, during a cold start the ECU tells the wastegate to stay open until warm, then operate normally.

I thought another member was experiencing the problem that the wastegate was getting stuck open. Maybe search for that and start there?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am starting to believe this is how eco mode works as well, with it on, it holds the wastegate open (maybe not fully) forcing the boost to come on only if putting the pedal to the metal. I think its lame, they need to do away with all this electronic crap and stick to the basics, at least with the SX model.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok guys sorry for late reply, it happend again this morning! I had to shut car off at stop sign & restart car to fix (just like yesterday)

I have 9k miles & yesterday/today are the coldest mornings (cold front) since I got the car (June)... I started to think it has some correlation.

Also I got that TSB performed 3 weeks ago (cold start rattle)

I'll check out the links posted above after work, thx

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have just rolled over the 9K.. Oh yea.. do I get to look forward to this as well?

·
01/2012 ROTM
2,434 Posts
Im in South FL, also and i havent had any problems with my SX with cold start.
I assume that's a joke..............:eusa_clap:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Happened again this morning - hopefully dealer can re-flash back to factory settings, this is way worst than morning rattle :-/
Just curious, are you just getting in and going or do you wait a minute or so after starting the engine to put it in gear?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mine did it again today too, coldest day of year so far 45degrees.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I want to know why this isn't setting off the CEL as well.....

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
It has nothing to do with how long you wait. This is not a driver error, but an ECM glitch. A reflash instantly solves it.
Adrian you don't need to drive at all then restart at a light/stop sign..all it takes is this: Start it for 10-15 seconds, then turn off, then turn back on and it will being normal. Like clock work.
Thats all electrical. I've hadn't had the problem since the reflash.

BuyLow, I posted this before to you but no CEL comes on because the ECM is telling it to happen in error. It can't report a "no-no" when it views it as alright. I got a CEL after a while because a sensor error...I was lucky IMO.

Just do yourselves a favor and drop it off over night and tell them to test it and experience it for themselves (assuming they won't just reflash it based on your word). They'll feel the same thing.Call KIA. KIA will say "reflash". the end.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Did it again today, gonna swing by today and see if they will reflash the ECM on my word.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what is a reflash?
In this case reflash just means re-installing a software update.

TSB software update 104 cures the "cold start rattle", but also in some random cases introduces a software glitch that will cause your turbo not work on cold mornings on "cold starts/1st start of day".

As redhotdam has figured out is that having the dealer "re-do" the TSB it has fixed the glitch. Hope that explains it.

Welcome to the forum btw:yahoo:

1 - 20 of 520 Posts