Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Optima LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if its normal for the 2.4L engine with low miles to make a rumble sound in low speeds? It goes away on the highway and higher gears. But in low gears/speeds the engine makes a lot of noise while its going along.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,596 Posts
Maybe see if you can figure out if the noise is based on speed, gear, or engine RPM.

If speed-based: maybe it's your wheel bearings, and not the transmission or engine

If gear-based: maybe it's the transmission

If RPM-based: maybe it's the engine

Could you try driving and varying the engine RPMs and gears while staying at the relatively same speed?
For example, accelerate on the highway so the car downshifts into lower gears and see if the noise comes back, and also monitor sounds while the car upshifts as you ease off the accelerator.

Does the noise happen at idle?

·
Registered
Kia Optima LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely RPM based, low rpms. It doesn't happen at idle. I hear it on downshifts in City driving from zero to 25, not on upshifts like on the highway. I took it to the dealer because I thought maybe one of the nuts or bolts around the exhaust manifold areas was loose and they said they're all tight and no codes 🤷 I need to drive another 2019 or 2020 Optima to see if it makes the engine rumble noise. My wife has a 2019 sonata with the exact same engine and transmission and it's very quiet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if its normal for the 2.4L engine with low miles to make a rumble sound in low speeds? It goes away on the highway and higher gears. But in low gears/speeds the engine makes a lot of noise while its going along.
I have the same issue. At idle when car is stopped or at very low speeds going around the corner or up hills it sounds very rumbly or throaty. I have a 2014 Kia optima that just started about 5000 miles ago.
so at 75,000 miles.I just had a mechanic put synthetic oil in it and it did seem to help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. At idle when car is stopped or at very low speeds going around the corner or up hills it sounds very rumbly or throaty. I have a 2014 Kia optima that just started about 5000 miles ago.
so at 75,000 miles.I just had a mechanic put synthetic oil in it and it did seem to help
Mine is SX, no turbo

·
Registered
207 Posts
My Chevy truck does this at 1500 RPMs. It's due to harmonic exhaust vibration. Dealer said they could put a stainless wire pipe inline to stop it. I just learned to live with it. Our Toyota Sienna does this a little also. Both seem worse when it's cold outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.