Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard that the engine recalls mostly affects US built rather than both korean and american manufactured Kias. is that true?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,499 Posts
I quickly picked the Hyundai list, but here's the Canadian settlement, if you own one, it's included:
January 4, 2021 — A Hyundai Canada engine settlement has been reached after customers complained the Theta II engines were defective in these vehicles.

• 2011–2019 Hyundai Sonata
  • 2013–2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
  • 2014, 2015, 2019 Hyundai Tucson

Those vehicles are equipped with 2-litre and 2.4-litre Theta II gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines.

Did see this in the settlement that differs from the US terms:
If a vehicle needs a new engine but has mileage at or above 200,000 km and is more than eight years from the original in-service date,
Hyundai has the option of buying back the vehicle at its fair market value instead of replacing the engine.

Owners will surely get the shaft on this stipulation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The engine on my 2011 SX was replaced with a new engine a week ago. I am at about 94000 miles. When I got my car back with the new engine I was so excited to give it a spin. The engine I have now is different than the engine that was originally in the car. The car drives smoother but it's slower and doesn't drive as sporty as it once did. Drives more like a family car. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,499 Posts
The engine on my 2011 SX was replaced with a new engine a week ago. I am at about 94000 miles. When I got my car back with the new engine I was so excited to give it a spin. The engine I have now is different than the engine that was originally in the car. The car drives smoother but it's slower and doesn't drive as sporty as it once did. Drives more like a family car. Has anyone else had this experience?
What's different about the engine? Performance?
The replacement is the same, in fact there have been reports of replacement engine failures.
Check boost pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn't feel like a turbo engine any longer. The car actually is a little quieter and smoother but it doesn't have that power that it once had. Before, if I had to get pass someone, I could do it with ease. Now, I don't think I could get pass many people. So my only issue is that it's not fast any more. I thought I read something about some type of engine adjustment that they are supposed to do but now I am not sure if I misunderstood what I read. Please help. The dealership is trying to return my car to me and I want them to fix it. I just want my car to drive the way it did before. It drives more like a family sedan now.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,499 Posts
As I stated previously, check boost pressure. If boost is low, could be a leak in the intake system. When the morons did my engine, they left the clamp on the hose to
the turbo loose, so had to get under the car and tighten it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Tubonut. I will share that with them when they call me back today. Would you please describe what boost pressure is for a novice like myself?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts