Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 2014 Kia optima when I parked it for the night everything was normal not so much as a hint of trouble, no abnormal noises no check engine light's nothing to signal that there was any issue what so ever but the following morning when I went to start it I pressed the break and the start button as per usual but instead of the usual response what i got was a motor with zero compression now my question is why? Why would it loose compression while parked? Do I need a new motor? Can I fix this one? 0

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor turns over but theres no pop so to speek ,the thing is Im no stranger to turning a wrench, I'm actually quite good at it but there's always something that points to something when they break a noise a shutter an idiot light hot temperature but there was absolutely nothing abnormal when I parked it, the real deal is it was my mom's car and she was killed in a head on collision April 19 of this year and I really don't want to tear into it without understanding exactly what im looking at.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, I'm no expert but here we go.

1. I assume this wasn't the car in the accident.
2. An engine doesn't lose compression from sitting overnight after running fine the day before.
3. Starter is turning the engine but it won't start, so battery is not the problem.
4. There are no idiot lights coming on.
5. Lack of idiot lights is weird unless maybe you're just out of gas? If there is a mechanical problem with a sensor, fuel or spark I would think it would throw a code.
6. Next thing to look at would be fuses, (check them all)
6. It's either fuel or spark causing the engine not to fire (unless a squirrel filled your air intake overnight) but with no check engine light you will need to diagnose. You could pull a plug and see if they are firing when cranking the engine. You could loosen the fuel rail and see if gas sprays out of it when turning the engine over.

as I said, im not an expert, just some thoughts and what I might do if it were me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean yeah that's it, its getting plenty of fuel and Its getting fire what its not getting is compression. Its like when a centrificle clutch on a chainsaw free spools there's movement but no action so, actually you know what though it did just have a new alternator put on it two days prior, I had totally forgotten about that but still it was fine when I parked it

And no my mother actually had just gotten a brand new Kia sorento in January that's the one she was killed in either way her optima isn't just a car to me anymore

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
Don't be too quick to dismiss the battery. It can make weird things happen as it wears out over time, even if you charge it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like the starter may not be engaging the teeth on the flywheel... or a weak battery. More likely...Have them checked .. Battery first

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I'm no expert but here we go.

1. I assume this wasn't the car in the accident.
2. An engine doesn't lose compression from sitting overnight after running fine the day before.
3. Starter is turning the engine but it won't start, so battery is not the problem.
4. There are no idiot lights coming on.
5. Lack of idiot lights is weird unless maybe you're just out of gas? If there is a mechanical problem with a sensor, fuel or spark I would think it would throw a code.
6. Next thing to look at would be fuses, (check them all)
6. It's either fuel or spark causing the engine not to fire (unless a squirrel filled your air intake overnight) but with no check engine light you will need to diagnose. You could pull a plug and see if they are firing when cranking the engine. You could loosen the fuel rail and see if gas sprays out of it when turning the engine over.

as I said, im not an expert, just some thoughts and what I might do if it were me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts