Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the 2013 Kia Optima sxl and id like to gain some hp is there anything i could do to get that can someone help me out with some ideas thanks

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
This comes up probably every week, but the products are only limited to your available bank account.
K5 store for example, have what they call a chip, but nothing more than feeding the ecu altered information, $500 plus you'll need special plugs, then there is a completely reprogrammed ecu maybe $1000 plus the plugs, downpipes, exhaust systems, air intakes, and much more depending on your wants.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
If you purchase the "chip" from the K5 store, it might take 15 minutes to install, but you'll need the "special" spark plugs that you can do or have a local shop do the install.
An oil catch can would also be advised, at least on the PCV valve side, once again do it yourself or have a shop do the job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay im also trying to put in a new intake from the k5 store im looking at the oem set up what do you think? Also is there a better BOV i can get for this thing i wanna hear that turbo more

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
Leave stock intake on unless you get an intake that goes directly to the outside, can't remember the name right now, but with lower air intake have seen some suck up water in heavy rain/flooding areas.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,739 Posts
Im new to the 2013 Kia Optima sxl and id like to gain some hp is there anything i could do to get that can someone help me out with some ideas thanks
Tons of things you can do, intake, exhaust, downpipe, tune, etc. You can find a ton of Performance stuff we carry on our site here: Performance Product Collection - K5 Optima Store

Okay im also trying to put in a new intake from the k5 store im looking at the oem set up what do you think? Also is there a better BOV i can get for this thing i wanna hear that turbo more
If you have the 2013 Optima SX-L, I would recommend going with the Kia Optima/ Hyundai Sonata - Injen Intake Systems - K5 Optima Store This is a SRI unit, meaning it will not suck up wated from the floor if you were to drive through a major puddle or in rainy conditions. It will also allow you to hear the turbos spool up much louder as well.

K5 store for example, have what they call a chip
Just for clarification, we don't just call it a chip, the manufacturer in S. Korea who manufactured and developed the product named it what it is called, and exactly what we have it named on our website after: The LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune.

but nothing more than feeding the ecu altered information
This us absolutely correct and accurate. All of the major legitimate piggyback tuners on the market feed the ECU altered information, that's how they make the extra horsepower. JB4, LAP3, RaceChip, etc, all alter the information the ECU sees, as that is how the performance gains are made.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
If you have the 2013 Optima SX-L, I would recommend going with the Kia Optima/ Hyundai Sonata - Injen Intake Systems - K5 Optima Store This is a SRI unit, meaning it will not suck up wated from the floor if you were to drive through a major puddle or in rainy conditions. It will also allow you to hear the turbos spool up much louder as well.
That Injen certainly won't suck up water, but instead the engine will ingest extremely hot air, so my opinion is to leave the OEM in place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if its gonna injest extremely hot air what do i need to do about that. A bigger radiator or fan?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
My opinion-No, you need an air intake system that brings air in from the outside, not from within the engine bay.
Look a the OEM that has the air intake above the bumper and that supplies the engine with "fresh" air.

The only difference is that with the aftermarket intake it will make the go-fast sound.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,739 Posts
That Injen certainly won't suck up water, but instead the engine will ingest extremely hot air, so my opinion is to leave the OEM in place.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we can agree to disagree on this one. I’m not interested in debating it with anyone, just providing information for members who are looking for the parts that we carry.

So if its gonna injest extremely hot air what do i need to do about that. A bigger radiator or fan?
Don’t read into everything that you see people post about. An aftermarket intake sucks in so much more air than the factory airbox, that whether or not it’s hot air, doesn’t make a difference because your vehicle will automatically adjust based on the air intake temperatures. Plus the SX-L already has an intercooler to handle that. You could always upgrade the intercooler for better performance, but it’s not necessary when just upgrading the intake.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
Don’t read into everything that you see people post about. An aftermarket intake sucks in so much more air than the factory airbox, that whether or not it’s hot air, doesn’t make a difference because your vehicle will automatically adjust based on the air intake temperatures. Plus the SX-L already has an intercooler to handle that. You could always upgrade the intercooler for better performance, but it’s not necessary when just upgrading the intake.
Have any proof of that statement that the aftermarket intakes sucks in so much more air than the factory airbox? Certainly would like to see this one.

Maybe this might help:

And with the intake far back in the engine compartment, more hot air will be sucked in lowering the power.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,739 Posts
Have any proof of that statement that the aftermarket intakes sucks in so much more air than the factory airbox? Certainly would like to see this one.
That’s something that you can check with the manufacturer on, as they do have Dyno sheets and guarantee an increase in performance. However, as I stated, I have no interest in debating with you or anyone else on the topic.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
Devil's advocate here, nothing more--I am not disputing the K&N numbers David posted in his reply, but I will ask this--wouldn't the PCM (via the MAF sensor) adjust accordingly so that the proper air/fuel ratio is maintained regardless of what air intake is in use and/or how much (or how little) air (along with intake air temperature) is being ingested throught the air intake, plus I know of no air intake that by itself has the ability to change the A/F ratio.

I will say this--adding only an aftermarket air intake (i.e., no other performance mods) like the K&N isn't gonna make a difference in normal day-to-day driving; sure you can say numbers don't lie but look at the chart--the 7.63 HP gain is realized at a higher RPM (4800+) than that of the factory peak HP measurement, and anyone who tells you that they can feel the gain in power during normal driving is either full of it or else it's their butt-dyno speaking for them. And yeah it'll probably sound way cooler too since that nice intake sound is probably good for an extra HP or two just on its own...:p

But hey, don't let my opinions get in the way of anybody wanting to buy an aftermarket air intake for whatever reason that supports their justification for wanting to do so. I know some folks who buy one just because it "looks" way cooler than the plain OEM one, while others buy it just so that they don't have to spend money on replacement air filters...but if you're looking to buy one because you're looking to squeeze more power out of your engine--best if you do so as part of a greater plan to upgrade/add other performance components.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,739 Posts
Devil's advocate here, nothing more--I am not disputing the K&N numbers David posted in his reply, but I will ask this--wouldn't the PCM (via the MAF sensor) adjust accordingly so that the proper air/fuel ratio is maintained regardless of what air intake is in use and/or how much (or how little) air (along with intake air temperature) is being ingested throught the air intake, plus I know of no air intake that by itself has the ability to change the A/F ratio.

I will say this--adding only an aftermarket air intake (i.e., no other performance mods) like the K&N isn't gonna make a difference in normal day-to-day driving; sure you can say numbers don't lie but look at the chart--the 7.63 HP gain is realized at a higher RPM (4800+) than that of the factory peak HP measurement, and anyone who tells you that they can feel the gain in power during normal driving is either full of it or else it's their butt-dyno speaking for them. And yeah it'll probably sound way cooler too since that nice intake sound is probably good for an extra HP or two just on its own...:p

But hey, don't let my opinions get in the way of anybody wanting to buy an aftermarket air intake for whatever reason that supports their justification for wanting to do so. I know some folks who buy one just because it "looks" way cooler than the plain OEM one, while others buy it just so that they don't have to spend money on replacement air filters...but if you're looking to buy one because you're looking to squeeze more power out of your engine--best if you do so as part of a greater plan to upgrade/add other performance components.
I appreciate this response, and I agree with much of what you are saying as well. The thing is, the OP posted in post # 6 "i wanna hear that turbo more" and by adding an aftermarket intake, that is one of the best ways to accomplish that, plus if he does end up tuning the car, which he also mentioned wanting to do, then the HP gains from the intake will definitely be felt. However, as I mentioned initially, I agree with much of what you posted, if not all of it.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
David, I appreciate your feedback; just to be clear (to anyone reading my responses in this thread) I am not trying to pick a fight, and I don't pretend to know anything about everything; like many others who visit this forum I am always looking to learn about new things or learn how to do things with our Optimas. IOW I won't take it personal as to any disagreements about anything I say since like I said, I don't know everything about cars.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,739 Posts
David, I appreciate your feedback; just to be clear (to anyone reading my responses in this thread) I am not trying to pick a fight, and I don't pretend to know anything about everything; like many others who visit this forum I am always looking to learn about new things or learn how to do things with our Optimas. IOW I won't take it personal as to any disagreements about anything I say since like I said, I don't know everything about cars.
Very well said, and I appreciate this post! 🍻

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
But you know than most and always reply in a courteous manner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.