Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Optima EX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me the latest on the engine lawsuit, are we basically stuck with what we have ie a defective oil burning modern car? I was told at my dealership that Kia is no longer replacing engines and that it is best to keep a quart of oil in the car at all times. The more i think about this the dumber it sounds. I could see if i had an old classic car but having to do this on a 2016 model car?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
Can someone give me the latest on the engine lawsuit, are we basically stuck with what we have ie a defective oil burning modern car? I was told at my dealership that Kia is no longer replacing engines and that it is best to keep a quart of oil in the car at all times. The more i think about this the dumber it sounds. I could see if i had an old classic car but having to do this on a 2016 model car?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Well, it's a Kia and yes, '11-'19 , 2.4 & 2.0T have the potential for oil burning, engine seizure concerns. Just make certain all the recalls and updates have been done and hope it doesn't seize when away from home. Did come across the following, but believe it to be nothing but a smokescreen as the engines
that have seized that I'm familiar with, all have been full, or at least past the add oil line when it occurred. Not certain as to who will pay for all the labor involved with the testing, but being a TSB and not a recall or update, assume the customer will pay. Would also assume this isn't written in stone and find it hard to believe that if the engine was found to use a qt p/900 miles, Kia would do a replacement. Also, all maintenance records are required, and this is just another way for Kia to reject a claim.

·
Registered
2016 Optima EX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's a Kia and yes, '11-'19 , 2.4 & 2.0T have the potential for oil burning, engine seizure concerns. Just make certain all the recalls and updates have been done and hope it doesn't seize when away from home. Did come across the following, but believe it to be nothing but a smokescreen as the engines
that have seized that I'm familiar with, all have been full, or at least past the add oil line when it occurred. Not certain as to who will pay for all the labor involved with the testing, but being a TSB and not a recall or update, assume the customer will pay. Would also assume this isn't written in stone and find it hard to believe that if the engine was found to use a qt p/900 miles, Kia would do a replacement. Also, all maintenance records are required, and this is just another way for Kia to reject a claim.
Thank you Turbo, its disheartening to say the least. Cant believe they were able to pay their way out of responsibility!! This is my 3rd Optima but with this going on i am not sure i am gonna get another one and if i do it would have to have a different engine in it! Thanks again for the answer/ explanation! Need more people like you on the forum!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts