Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2016 LX Optima ( currently 58,500 miles). When I release the brakes after sitting in traffic, traffic light or stop sign, the rpms drop to about 500 or sometimes lower and the car hesitates & vibrates for at least 1-2 seconds before actually moving. It almost feels like the car is rolling back sometimes when it happens. There is also a faint knocking or metal clanking sound when parked and idling.
Idk if this is related to my main problem but I also noticed it sometimes hesitates when I try to accelerate at highway speeds, which has caused many close calls. It’s like the car loses power and suddenly wakes up after 2 secs. Sometimes I have let off the gas because I’m afraid I may blow my engine when it does it.
I’ve tried talking to the dealer about the problem but since it’s an “intermediate” issue, they want to charge me if they can’t replicate the problem. I hope it’s not the engine knock problem everyone’s talking about😞. I had the knock sensor recall installed at 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*Update. I went to check my oil and smoke was coming out the engine from the oil cap hole. I don’t know it this is a good or bad thing.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
You've had problems with the car for the last 10,000 miles, back and forth to the dealer, so it seems as though the car is far from trouble free and difficult to pinpoint a problem especially when the ecu doesn't detect an ongoing problem.

Minimal smoke coming out when the engine off is normal, but first I'd check the PCV valve to be certain it's functioning. Knocking sound is never normal and if truly a rod knock, with the update the sound should be detected and cel on.

2016 should still be under full warranty so any detected problem will be covered, but sometimes having a service center pinpoint the reason is the challenge.

Never one to randomly disconnect the battery, but might want to try to relearn the system, but must say that after a disconnect sometimes it takes days to do a relearn and idle/drive-ability anomalies can be noticed.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've had problems with the car for the last 10,000 miles, back and forth to the dealer, so it seems as though the car is far from trouble free and difficult to pinpoint a problem especially when the ecu doesn't detect an ongoing problem.

Minimal smoke coming out when the engine off is normal, but first I'd check the PCV valve to be certain it's functioning. Knocking sound is never normal and if truly a rod knock, with the update the sound should be detected and cel on.

2016 should still be under full warranty so any detected problem will be covered, but sometimes having a service center pinpoint the reason is the challenge.

Never one to randomly disconnect the battery, but might want to try to relearn the system, but must say that after a disconnect sometimes it takes days to do a relearn and idle/drive-ability anomalies can be noticed.
Reset the ECU this morning, and I also took off the oil cap while the engine was running. A lot of Oil and air was blowing out the hole.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
While the car is running, normal to have oil/mist come out of the oil filler. Ever try and put STP or the like into the engine when it's running, it will blow back with these engines.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how m
While the car is running, normal to have oil/mist come out of the oil filler. Ever try and put STP or the like into the engine when it's running, it will blow back with these engines.
how much blow by is too much? Sometimes I can smell burning oil outside of my car after moderate or 20 mins drives. I don’t visibly see any leaks, but i do know the car loses about a Quart of oil, 1,000 miles into every service interval. (Changed every 5,000 miles according to the dealer)
This has been happening every since I had the ecu update and knock sensor recall that was supposedly “defective” after they installed it. Turns out, the ecu update was installed but the sensor was never installed until after my car went into limp mode multiple times. (Idk if that caused damage that I’m experiencing now)
I’m almost about to give up on my car. I feel like the dealer knows what’s going on with my car but won’t address it until I pass my 60,000 powertrain warranty. I even get the classic “can’t diagnose the problem without a CEL” . Honestly starting feel like I got a Lemon 🙁
I’ll try one more thing, a Combustion Leak Test. If that doesn’t detect anything, I give up.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*Update 2. I did a Combustion Leak Test and the liquid in the tester went from blue to to a light greenish color. While doing this I also noticed my antifreeze tank and radiator had metal shavings (ALOT). This is not good.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
684 Posts
Definitely should show that to the dealer if you haven't already done so...although LOL I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer comes back and tells you that they can't diagnose the metal shavings in the radiator w/o a CEL--and yeah I was semi-j/k about that comment.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely should show that to the dealer if you haven't already done so...although LOL I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer comes back and tells you that they can't diagnose the metal shavings in the radiator w/o a CEL--and yeah I was semi-j/k about that comment.
Sorry for the late update. Had a mechanic at a nearby dealer examine the car and fluid. Basically either I have a messed up piston or cracked block (probably both). Due to the amount of shavings in the coolant. Was told I can use some type of sealant but it may cause the motor to stop functioning. The car under warranty but I don’t think I can deal with another headache from this car. I might just trade for something else at this point while it’s still running. Probably a stinger. I would get another Optima but it will take some serious convincing to get another one. 😞

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
684 Posts
Understand your skepticism but at least once the motor is replace it'll have a lifetime warranty attached to it, presuming that the failure was due to the well-documented shavings in the engine debacle for which many an engine has been replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts