Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Kia Optima brothers, my 2011 Optimus (what I call it) SX’s engine has seized at only 62k miles. I am very bummed. On Saturday I was traveling and at only 16 miles from my destination the heart beat gave up. I was able to get it towed to my destination that evening and have reserved another tow to the nearest dealer and taking a one way rental back home. I know about the engine seizing recall. Any advise as to what to say to the service advisor? Thanks.
-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
Hopefully the inside of your engine is relatively clean and not missing two quarts of oil.
Hopefully your dipstick shows regular wipe-down intervals. Some dipsticks show that they were never wiped and the oil level was never checked.
Hopefully you saved all your oil change/various filters receipts. They may ask for them or they may not

Good luck and please keep us posted on what transpires at the service center.

Reactions: DINO2K

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Maintenance records are not needed as stated in the class action suit, but don't really need to say anything but the engine appears to have seized, hand him the keys and they'll call when the car is done. They should give you a loaner free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully the inside of your engine is relatively clean and not missing two quarts of oil.
Hopefully your dipstick shows regular wipe-down intervals. Some dipsticks show that they were never wiped and the oil level was never checked.
Hopefully you saved all your oil change/various filters receipts. They may ask for them or they may not

Good luck and please keep us posted on what transpires at the service center.
Level is fine, I made sure before the trip. I will let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maintenance records are not needed as stated in the class action suit, but don't really need to say anything but the engine appears to have seized, hand him the keys and they'll call when the car is done. They should give you a loaner free.
Thanks, will do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi all, UPDATE : so the dealership did their investigation and determined “engine failure” due to the recall. I don’t have any engine performance upgrades but, all stock maybe that made it easier and quicker to determine at only a week later after I dropped it off. They got me a rental to move around. I picked it up yesterday with a new engine, new turbo, new intake manifold, and new starter. The tow truck driver that took it to the dealership said it was like his 25th seized optima , Kia covered everything but said it is a $10k job out of pocket. So happy to have it back!

-Mike

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts
You received a new engine, or a refurbished one?

Congrats on getting the free warranty work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts