Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2011 Kia Optima EX 2.0T
  • Engine/Performance Mods: None
  • Mileage at the time of failure: 146K
  • Determined cause of engine failure: Barring's
  • Was proper maintenance performed? Yes, since brand new
  • Was it covered under warranty? Yes, under settlement
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Yes
  • What was the outcome? Engine replaced but with many issues
I have had my car since 2011 with absolutely no issues, kept all maintenance up at the dealership in the city I lived in. Last month engine seized while pulling out of a parking lot. Everything was covered based on the Kia Settlement.

However, now that engine has been updated I continue to have issues that I have never had before. Upon picking it up and starting it, the engine was noisy as **** and you can hear the barrings in the pulleys were out (they were supposed to be new pulleys). They had to keep it again even though I never pulled it out of dealership. After a few extra days I brought it home and drove out of town a few times in the first 10 days. I noticed the motor was leaking as there was puddles in the garage, car wasn't starting when button was pushed as it took a few cranks but would start, and car idled rough while in park. Called the dealership back and they said bring it back in. Received another rental paid by them. It turns out they didn't reprogram computer to match new motor (blamed Kia for not telling them to do that), Was told the original fuel pressure rail was used from my old motor and it isn't reading any PSI upon startup and was told they couldn't see a leak (even after pressure washing the under carriage). Car runs quitter now after computer was updated, I had to fork out $834 for a new fuel pressure rail after arguing the car started fine with older motor, and said I would drive car more to see if it is still leaking since they couldn't seem to find one. Sure enough motor was leaking and this time took the time to put up on jack stands and within 5 seconds see the turbo is leaking (this pissed me off and was the last straw). I was able to speak with Kia Corporate (she was worthless and received same treatment as I have from dealership), then spoke with GM of dealership and I was able to send pictures of leak and explain what the process has been that got us here and this was the last straw (he basically got onto everyone in the service dept.). It is now back in the shop and was told today the Turbo is bad and it could be a $2500 bill but they would speak with Kia. I kept it cordial but will see what they come back with. I think this may end up being a big fight that may get nasty.

Has anyone on here experienced or know of other owners that have had parts (older previous car parts) fail after getting new motor? (I was told by the service manager that the new motors compression, it is causing these parts to fail)

I am trying to figure out next steps as I am down with this dealership and was told by Kia since they did the motor I am not able to take it to another dealership to get corrected.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sounds like somebody effed it up in the garage...imo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick questions...

With getting the new replacement engines, how's everyone's transmissions holding up?

I'm paying out of pocket for new belts & hoses...what else (if anything) should I have replaced while they're swapping the engines? My car is a 2014 Optima SX with 90,633 miles.
2013 Kia Optima
Engine replaced after going into limp mode End of January beginning of Feb 2021. Once I got the car back I called them at least 4xs of a month period to inform the the car would not accelerate correctly. It was like it wasn't getting gas. I always got the same response from them unless the check engine light was on there is nothing they can do. Well a little over that month the light came on and I called on a Friday they could look at my car until that next Tuesday. Before they called me they sent a link via text for financing. I needed a belt, rear o2 sensor and a cat converter $2800 worth of stuff. I went to research things for myself and found out that when the engine went into limp mode and pulsated 4 hard times it spit all that junk into the exhaust. I talked to multiple exhaust shops that confirmed this. After 3 denials of goodwill help they finally agreed to pay for the cat cost. I paid for the o2 sensor and labor I also added a drain and fill of the transmission as I was advised against a flush so $600 later. No belt was replaced. I haven't driven my car more then 500 miles and the check engine like is on again. Code P0139 O2 sensor that was just replaced. Im over this **** car. I had no problems until the engine was replaced. HELPPPPPPPP what can I do Im tired of paying on this lemon. [email protected]

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,300 Posts
2013 Kia Optima
I haven't driven my car more then 500 miles and the check engine like is on again. Code P0139 O2 sensor that was just replaced. Im over this **** car. I had no problems until the engine was replaced. HELPPPPPPPP what can I do Im tired of paying on this lemon. [email protected]
Although I do agree that these cars leave a lot to be desired, but would think this problem can be attributed to the people that work on the car, can't call them techs, so will just use people to be nice. Although that code is technically from the second or downstream O2 sensor, that in itself doesn't mean the sensor is bad. The sensor detects a problem, tells the ECU and then the CEL comes on, so if the sensor was replaced, still a problem, I would look for an exhaust before going any farther.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had to fight Kia on getting a new engine? My Sportage has the knock, is throwing the code, but Kia is declining coverage because I hadn't had the Knock Sensor Update which I don't recall ever getting anything about.

601 - 605 of 605 Posts