Registered
19 Posts
Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2013 Kia Optima LX
  • Engine/Performance Mods: None
  • Mileage at the time of failure: 146K
  • Determined cause of engine failure
  • Was proper maintenance performed?
  • Was it covered under warranty?
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
  • What was the outcome?

I haven’t answered some of these because I haven’t taken it to the dealer. This problem happened yesterday and I just found out today my problem is because of the engine fail P1326 code.

I do have a question. I realized after my last oil change I don’t have all my oil change records. Do they ever deny the claims because I can’t prove I keep up with my oil changes?

also someone said I should call consumer affairs. Is that 1-800 4Kia roadside number or something else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine just died...

2012 Optima SX Turbo
2.0L Turbo, no mods
195,000 km
Knock sensor malfunction
Oil changes done every 8,000 km with synthetic oil
Covered under warranty (but probably not 5,000 km later)
Rental car covered
Wanted to charge me $400 for a new starter, called Kia Canada to complain and they included it in the claim.
Only took 1 week to replace and get it back! Everything is running great.
Just wondering why they say it doesn't need a break in but confirmed it is a new engine...?
What number did you call to speak to KIA about paying for your starter?
In September 2019 had my engine replaced due to recall. My 2013 KIA Optima would stall out as I was driving or sometimes wouldn’t start then my engine starting making noises. Took my Kia Optima 2013 into Kia dealership they replaced the engine but not the starter. After I got it back it wasn’t starting sometimes, I bought a new battery and then the starter went out. Then Covid19 happened and we’ve been in locked down since March 2020 & my Kia has been parked all year. Kia wouldn’t pay to have my car towed so I Got my car towed to Kia and they told I have to pay around $800 to replace starter because they say it’s been a year since my engine was replaced they won’t cover it under warranty from the engine recall! Does anyone else have problems with their starter & battery after engine recall replacement?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey folks, had the same thing happen here as well.
- Year, Make, Model, Trim
2012 EX 2.0t
- Engine/Performance Mods
None yet
- Mileage at the time of failure
Approx 153,000
- Determined cause of engine failure
Nothing other than seizure, failure.
- Was proper maintenance performed?
Yes, regularly
- Was it covered under warranty?
Yes! Thankfully
- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
Yes
- What was the outcome?
Still at the dealership waiting on engine delivery.

Engine failed on 8/4 after having $3300 worth of work and a new set of tires put on. Was sick to my stomach!
My son and I were driving it in an inbuilt neighborhood as he’s learning to drive. We traded seats to head home and revved it pretty high from first to second. Sadly it never made it to second. No pop or noise, just coasted to a stop with some smoke coming from under the hood. Electrical all still operating, but she was dead dead.
Called my wife to come get us and then a tow truck. While waiting on the tow, was debating on taking back to the mechanic shop who performed the recent work or to the dealership. Started reading online and thankfully found many other similar stories and decided to tow it to dealership which turned out to be the right decision.
Will post update when she’s back in my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick question my Kia Optima is also at mechanic shop at the moment but they haven’t looked at it yet. Idk when they will look at it should I just take it to the Kia dealership instead. Also I have a custom exhaust should I put the stock exhaust back on ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
  • Year, Make, Model, Trim 2012, KIA, Optima, EX-T
  • Engine/Performance Mods 2.0T, None
  • Mileage at the time of failure 158,695 Km. (98,609 miles)
  • Determined cause of engine failure Rod bearing failure
  • Was proper maintenance performed? Yes
  • Was it covered under warranty? Yes
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? No (their lame excuse was no courtesy cars were available)
  • What was the outcome? Car was checked into Service on a Monday (in limp mode) and picked up with a replacement engine by Friday

Car went through many odd symptoms prior to going into limp mode though:
  • 2020-11-27: Engine stalled three times, each time after releasing gas pedal following full throttle acceleration. Replaced spark plugs next day (they were due to be replaced anyway) but I never got the chance to repeat the stalling test due to wet streets/congested traffic. It took weeks before I could test it again but no stalling occurred then.
  • 2020-12-04: Noticed faint engine knocking sound would occur between 2000 to 3000 rpm under light acceleration, but not under heavier acceleration. Could also duplicate knocking when in “Park” if engine was warm and revved lightly between 2000 to 3000 rpm. Checked oil level and found it slightly higher than normal, so I changed the oil the very next day. Coolant level seemed lower too.
  • 2020-12-12: Took car to a performance service station to check for possible head gasket leak. No coolant found in oil and no oil found in coolant. They knew about the new spark plugs so they pulled them and found two plugs had a surprising amount of carbon fouling. (didn't report which ones though) They then did a leak test by temporarily applying high pressure to the fuel injector rail and then tried starting the car afterwards. Engine required extensive cranking before it would fire, and since the engine was cold the RPM's jumped high enough to cause the knocking sound. Technicians recognized sound as loud bottom end knocking and aborted further tests.
  • 2020-12-21: Dropped car off at KIA dealer under a knocking engine complaint. Car did not fail knock test (I knew it wouldn't) because official knock test is run at 2000 RPM, whereas my engine only knocked around 2400 RPM or higher while under light acceleration. Technicians could duplicate knock and even sent a video of it to KIA Canada.
  • 2020-12-23: KIA Canada decided NOT to honour free engine replacement in its current state. (i.e., would not fail the knock test, no P1326 engine trouble code) Service person suggested I continue to drive the car but to push it a little harder to accelerate the inevitable upcoming engine failure.
  • 2021-01-03: Engine power output dropped suddenly while on freeway due to flashing “check engine” light on dash, confirming car was in “limp” mode. Could not coax engine to spin faster than 1900 rpm, but using cruise-control allowed car to remain at 100kph (62mph) even while going up hills. Dropped car off at same KIA dealer parking lot on a Sunday afternoon, and went there early Monday morning with spare keys and made an appointment to get it checked out. KIA Canada finally approved engine replacement. (it had P1326 engine trouble code and engine would finally knock at 2000 RPM, once engine was warm)

Extra work done:
  • Got them to replace the serpentine belt as it was getting hard and making noises above 1800 RPM.
  • Got fuel injector cleaning service done. Even the tech said it was carbon-ed up quite badly.
  • Rear brakes got new pads + rotors + caliper servicing because passenger rear caliper was just starting to seize a little. (normally do this kind work myself, but I just didn't have the time, plus I received some cash for Christmas so all the extra work was essentially free)

Car runs great now. Like a young puppy compared to an old dog, it just wants to go faster.
I am taking it easy on the engine though, to let it break-in a bit. Gas mileage was really good while driving around in the country over the weekend.

I took pictures of the my old engines intake runners while I was at the dealership. No catch can was ever used: (noticed 4 other engines sitting beside mine!)
Cylinder intake #1:

Cylinder intake #2:

Cylinder intake #3:

Cylinder intake #4:

Done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, add me to the list. My 2014 Optima SX stalled and shut down on a busy road last night. Odometer reads just a tad over 90K miles. There was a burning electrical smell and a bit of smoke coming from under the hood. After I put the vehicle in park, I wasn't able to get it back in gear. It wouldn't start or even attempt to turn over. Local police officers had to get it off the road while we waited for the tow truck. I had it towed to my apartment and a mobile mechanic came by and diagnosed it today. Metal shavings in my oil. He removed the spark plugs and the drive belt to crank it by hand and it wouldn't turn. It's being towed to the Kia dealership tomorrow (I'm responsible for towing fees at this point). I still owe over $11K on the car, so I sure hope this is covered!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, add me to the list. My 2014 Optima SX stalled and shut down on a busy road last night. Odometer reads just a tad over 90K miles. There was a burning electrical smell and a bit of smoke coming from under the hood. After I put the vehicle in park, I wasn't able to get it back in gear. It wouldn't start or even attempt to turn over. Local police officers had to get it off the road while we waited for the tow truck. I had it towed to my apartment and a mobile mechanic came by and diagnosed it today. Metal shavings in my oil. He removed the spark plugs and the drive belt to crank it by hand and it wouldn't turn. It's being towed to the Kia dealership tomorrow (I'm responsible for towing fees at this point). I still owe over $11K on the car, so I sure hope this is covered!
That part kind of gives me worry for you. Part of the knock test if I have it correctly is they drain the oil and then change it to inspect the old oil and to hear the car. Let us know what happens man, good luck to you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2013 Kia Optima LX
  • Engine/Performance Mods: None
  • Mileage at the time of failure: 146K
  • Determined cause of engine failure: Engine Recall issue
  • Was proper maintenance performed? If you mean like regular oil changes, yes.
  • Was it covered under warranty? Yes
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
  • What was the outcome? This one is the kicker. They told me it would take two weeks . That was last Friday. I picked it up yesterday. I hope they replaced it with a new engine. Is there a way for me to tell?
  • Also they HAVE NOT yet reimbursed me for the tow. I tried calling the 1.800.333.4KIA number and got no where. Sad day. Any ideas on what I should pick?

·
Registered
2013 Optima
7 Posts
  • Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2013 LX 2.4L; purchased new in 2012.
  • Engine/Performance Mods. Oil catch can (thanks Scotty Kilmer)
  • Mileage at the time of failure. 130K miles. Never got to failure point. Once I knew about engine issue, checked oil weekly as I drive 400+ miles/week after taking new job October of 2018. Was adding 1-quart every week!
  • Determined cause of engine failure? KIA recommended the cylinders be visually scoped (had to approve $500 cost to get that done). Didn't have to pay it once KIA approved engine replacement.
  • Was proper maintenance performed? Always! 100% synthetic oil change every 5K miles (even when I was adding a weekly quart).
  • Was it covered under warranty? Yes!
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Yes, Dealer also sold Fords, so I was rented (at no cost) a Ford Escape (did not like, range of it sucked compared to Optima; 385 of Escape range versus 500!)
  • What was the outcome? I'm happy as the engine and compartment looks like it did when I first got the vehicle.

One other thing, my KIA dealer service rep was on my side. They knew the engine had problems but they could not contact KIA to say, "you got to replace this." They gave me the customer affairs number and I had to advocate for myself. The person at KIA customer affairs said I had to perform three (3!) oil consumption tests BEFORE THEY could do anything. I did two, and at the second the vehicle was down 1 1/2-quarts at 600-miles. So I called customer affairs and said I was not performing a third test, to do so is ridiculous, and that I had received a letter from the attorneys who are representing the plaintiffs in the suit against you (KIA) and your engine problems. The customer affairs person immediately gave me a case number. I gave the case number to my KIA dealer service rep, and they took it from there. Time from when car was taken in for second oil test to new engine was a month. This means you must have patience. Luckily, before I was offered the rental, I had my wife's Soul to drive to and from work. I know this is not the norm for many. My advice is be nice to the KIA dealer service rep and they'll work with you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a call this morning from Kia---they are covering the cost of the new engine, plus anything else that may have been damaged during the failure (starter, maybe). I asked if I could pay for all new belts and hoses and they quoted me $270 since the labor will cost $0. Very happy with that.

They gave me a rental car through Enterprise (horrible service with enterprise) and told me they were ordering my new engine today. They anticipate my car won't be ready for 2 weeks.

The engine seized on 1/13/21.
I had it towed to Kia Dealership on 1/18/21.
I got the approval today, 1/20/21.
Anticipated completion date of engine replacement: 2/03/21
So long as I have a loaner/rental--they can keep my car as long as they need. I won't even call them. :)

I was asked ZERO questions about maintenance records (i had them all ready to hand over).. Actually, zero questions at all.

I was super stressed for the past week. I got a huge sigh of relief when I found out Kia was standing behind their warranty. I wish you all the best and hope it's as easy for you should the unfortunate happen.

I will update once I receive my Optima back. I'm in the Central Texas area if anyone is wondering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick questions...

With getting the new replacement engines, how's everyone's transmissions holding up?

I'm paying out of pocket for new belts & hoses...what else (if anything) should I have replaced while they're swapping the engines? My car is a 2014 Optima SX with 90,633 miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I got a call this morning from Kia---they are covering the cost of the new engine, plus anything else that may have been damaged during the failure (starter, maybe). I asked if I could pay for all new belts and hoses and they quoted me $270 since the labor will cost $0. Very happy with that.

They gave me a rental car through Enterprise (horrible service with enterprise) and told me they were ordering my new engine today. They anticipate my car won't be ready for 2 weeks.

The engine seized on 1/13/21.
I had it towed to Kia Dealership on 1/18/21.
I got the approval today, 1/20/21.
Anticipated completion date of engine replacement: 2/03/21
So long as I have a loaner/rental--they can keep my car as long as they need. I won't even call them. :)

I was asked ZERO questions about maintenance records (i had them all ready to hand over).. Actually, zero questions at all.

I was super stressed for the past week. I got a huge sigh of relief when I found out Kia was standing behind their warranty. I wish you all the best and hope it's as easy for you should the unfortunate happen.

I will update once I receive my Optima back. I'm in the Central Texas area if anyone is wondering.
My car(2012 SX 2.0 Optima) went into limp mode back in early November, and had it towed to local KIA dealership. They did some tests the following day and said it needs to be replaced, and about 2 days later local dealership received approval from KIA for the engine replacement. The dealership told me it would take 4-6 weeks before i get my car back as they have a long line of cars already waiting for engine replacements.

Here is the catch...Dealership said i need to get a rental car and pay for it myself as they stopped taking care of the rental car costs for customer due to them being stuck with additional rental costs in the end...Their Words. Then when i get my car back after the engine replacement, i turn in my rental receipt from Enterprise over to the dealership and have to wait an additional 4-6 weeks to get reimbursed. Well its been over 6 weeks and no updates, called the dealership as a followup and they are not returning my calls. I might have to make an in person visit with the dealership on this matter or do i contact KIA consumer affairs for the reimbursment? thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine failed last year.
- Year, Make, Model, Trim 2011 optima sx
  • Engine/Performance Mods none
  • Mileage at the time of failure 68000
  • Determined cause of engine failure cylinder 2 rod failure
  • Was proper maintenance performed? i bought it with 61k, dont know
  • Was it covered under warranty? 3rd owner, no warranty
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? didnt even go to kia
  • What was the outcome? found a 2014 3k motor online and had it installed

used mobil synthetic 5/30 changed at 5k like i always have using OE filter, now using 5/40 oil changing at 3k.
scared to death this thing will blow again, now i baby it.
I believe as a part of the settlement, Kia will reimburse you for the cost of the engine. Have you looked into it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My car(2012 SX 2.0 Optima) went into limp mode back in early November, and had it towed to local KIA dealership. They did some tests the following day and said it needs to be replaced, and about 2 days later local dealership received approval from KIA for the engine replacement. The dealership told me it would take 4-6 weeks before i get my car back as they have a long line of cars already waiting for engine replacements.

Here is the catch...Dealership said i need to get a rental car and pay for it myself as they stopped taking care of the rental car costs for customer due to them being stuck with additional rental costs in the end...Their Words. Then when i get my car back after the engine replacement, i turn in my rental receipt from Enterprise over to the dealership and have to wait an additional 4-6 weeks to get reimbursed. Well its been over 6 weeks and no updates, called the dealership as a followup and they are not returning my calls. I might have to make an in person visit with the dealership on this matter or do i contact KIA consumer affairs for the reimbursment? thanks for any advice.
i would contact Kia consumer affairs for the reimbursement, and I would go there in person. Are they done with your car or still working on it? It only took one week to fix my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Kia Optima engine seized while myself & 4 year old where on highway. No warning lights no nothing until the car wouldn’t restart then every light imaginable came on. I almost paid out of pocket for an engine until I called the an actual service agent. At first when I called the agent was foreign & seemed to know nothing about a recall (even after specifically calling about that) He even took my vin number & told me I’m not in warranty. So I was without my car for over 1 month . Trying to come up with the money while this small business shop was waiting for me to give him $4,000. Luckily I stay persistent & stuck with my gut. I’ve also kept up with the maintenance. I did some reading & im wondering if they’ll even offer me a loaner. I’m a single mother with 2 kids & i wonder if they’ll make me jump through hoops just to get one 💔

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
91 Posts
2014 Kia Optima engine seized while myself & 4 year old where on highway. No warning lights no nothing until the car wouldn’t restart then every light imaginable came on. I almost paid out of pocket for an engine until I called the an actual service agent. At first when I called the agent was foreign & seemed to know nothing about a recall (even after specifically calling about that) He even took my vin number & told me I’m not in warranty. So I was without my car for over 1 month . Trying to come up with the money while this small business shop was waiting for me to give him $4,000. Luckily I stay persistent & stuck with my gut. I’ve also kept up with the maintenance. I did some reading & im wondering if they’ll even offer me a loaner. I’m a single mother with 2 kids & i wonder if they’ll make me jump through hoops just to get one 💔
So your seized engine-vehicle is at the dealer and awaiting a free remanufactured engine block?
If so, congrats. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright so I have a 2015 Kia Optima ex with 53,000 miles and the engine failed a few weeks ago. Kia gave me a new long block, my question is what is the warranty on my new engine? I’ve seen some people on here saying it’s lifetime warranty but the dealership told me 12 months unlimited miles. Also I first had it towed to a mechanic in town who first diagnosed it as a seized engine and the starter was fried. ( I took it there cause it was past warranty and was not aware of the lifetime warranty they put on the engines because of the KSDS update) I didn’t ask Kia to reimburse me for the towing but I tried to get them to pay me for the starter but said they wouldn’t cause the “ fried” one wasn’t in the car when I towed it to them. Should they be reimbursing me for the starter and towing also? My main concern is the warranty on the new engine, cause if it’s not longer that 12 months I’m selling this car, Altho I don’t want to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correct. And if you have a tune (ECU canned tune) like me, I found that I will have to re-pair my updated stock ECU to the module in order to add back the Stage 1, Stage 1.5+ (or Stage 2) tunes for my LAP3USA device for a fee of $150 (to LAP3USA). I'm fine with that since that then gives me the unlimited miles warranty to go along with the new engine.
what software update are you talking about here? I have a 2015 Kia Optima ex 2.4 that just had its long block replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
  • Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2015 Kia Optima LX
  • Engine/Performance Mods:
  • Mileage at the time of failure: 83000
  • Determined cause of engine failure:
  • Was proper maintenance performed?: All maintenance was done on my car at scheduled time
  • Was it covered under warranty?: recall covered cost
coverestimate
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?: Now at 1st I was told Kia wasn’t paying for rental on engine replacements any longer by the dealership, so I called Kia directly and asked about this and they told me that they hadn’t heard that but what I could do is have a rental submit it when my car was done to the dealership and they would submit it to Kia and get me reimbursed so I interned told my service worker at the dealership and all of a sudden a loaner became available. So I did get to drive the new K5 for two weeks and in that two weeks I wasn’t very impressed with the vehicle I really love my car better seems to handle better than the basic model that they gave me
  • What was the outcome?: I was told it was going to be 3 1/2 to 4 weeks before my engine could be put down and low and behold I got my car back in two weeks so all in all my experience was pretty good I have no complaints except for the rental thing I had to do a little bit of extra digging on that part but I love my car and I got her back

·
Registered
3 Posts
  • Year, Make, Model, Trim - 2015 Optima LX
  • Engine/Performance Mods - None
  • Mileage at the time of failure - 69k
  • Determined cause of engine failure - Seized while driving
  • Was proper maintenance performed?- Yes
  • Was it covered under warranty? - THey are looking at it now says most likely as mine was under recall
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? - No loaners available.. says they might cover rental.
  • What was the outcome? Aprroved Today ! 5 cars ahead of mine so will be a couple weeks

581 - 600 of 602 Posts