Kia Optima Forums banner

561 - 580 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,992 Posts
To try to diagnose the P1326 fault code my car threw, the shop cleared the code and performed the bearing test and the engine passed.

The shop installed a software update to the Engine Control Module (ECM) and the Power Control Module (PCM). They drove the car over 12 miles but the check engine light stayed off and there were no additional fault codes.

I was advised to continue driving the car. If the check engine light and limp mode returns, the shop will perform the diagnostic again.

Has anyone gotten the P1326 fault code, but it was just a false alarm? Am I the first one where this happened?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2015 Optima SXL Turbo with this code and flashing engine light and wanted to see what your resolution was? Just before this issue the temperature light came on so I added coolant which resolved that, but then the engine light started to flash and now there is reduced acceleration at higher speed so I had it towed tonight to the dealership. I have 72K miles and regular oil changes, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
537 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2015 Optima SXL Turbo with this code and flashing engine light and wanted to see what your resolution was? Just before this issue the temperature light came on so I added coolant which resolved that, but then the engine light started to flash and now there is reduced acceleration at higher speed so I had it towed tonight to the dealership. I have 72K miles and regular oil changes, etc.

Thanks
If it comes back having passed the knock test, try running mid-grade gas, especially if all you've been using so far is the low-end stuff. High compression engines, especially turbocharged ones, don't like low octane fuel, it's harder to retard ignition timing, and can lead to knock. Use mid or high octane gas. Also, check and see if your intake valves have been cleaned recently. If not, have them cleaned, and install a catch can.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, new here. Well, I too fell victim to the Kia engine failure which happened 2 weeks ago while driving home. I have the 2.4 liter and I just hit 110k miles on the odometer when within a mile of hitting that milestone the check engine light came on. The engine went into limp mode and shut off completely while doing 70 mph on the highway. Got it coasted off the highway and into a hotel parking lot. Then got it towed to the dealership were they did the test on the engine and it failed. Since the engine had the lifetime warranty from the recall it was replaced at no cost and a rental was also covered by the dealership.
The dealership had the car for a week and a half and since picking the car up last Friday, I have noticed that the fuel mileage has dropped significantly. Also, I have noticed the car now feels really underpowered.
Has anyone else experienced any of this when they got their car back?
I feel like they are lowering the boost on the turbo, tweaking the wastegate voltage now....not sure but (im on engine 5 🤫)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think its only 2.0 turbocharged, my car is a 2013 sxl (fully loaded)
WOW are you really on engine #5? I had mine die very early not related to the crank issue I had a spark plug explode and take out a piston on had 1200 miles on my baby at the time but KIA was fantastic did a great job and other than wastegate issues, I have had it happen 3 times, my car has been solid I love that thing I am so sorry you have had so many issues but I just had my 3 wastegate malfunction about 2 months ago and even though I am out of warranty Kia fixed it for free I did have to pay for repair number 2 it was only $120 if memory serves but were all 5 of your engines from the con rod issue? Mine is a 2012 sx

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
71 Posts
other than wastegate issues, I have had it happen 3 times, my car has been solid I love that thing I am so sorry you have had so many issues but I just had my 3 wastegate malfunction about 2 months ago and even though I am out of warranty Kia fixed it for free I did have to pay for repair number 2 it was only $120 if memory serves but were all 5 of your engines from the con rod issue? Mine is a 2012 sx
Engine throws a code for wastegate? I've heard of them needing adjustment.

I really like my Kia but not sure how I'd feel if I had 5 engines go unless Kia paid for everything including rentals. To be honest it scares me a little letting a Kia tech replace an engine. Could see stealerships trying to nickle dime customers even if it was due to a bad install/replacement. Just thinking about the engine fire issue.

Kind of off topic a little but I tried some of that valve cleaning stuff and it worked really well. Very pleased and surprised. Gonna try to do it again next oil change. Puttin so little miles on daily driver due to working from home.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Engine throws a code for wastegate? I've heard of them needing adjustment.

I really like my Kia but not sure how I'd feel if I had 5 engines go unless Kia paid for everything including rentals. To be honest it scares me a little letting a Kia tech replace an engine. Could see stealerships trying to nickle dime customers even if it was due to a bad install/replacement. Just thinking about the engine fire issue.

Kind of off topic a little but I tried some of that valve cleaning stuff and it worked really well. Very pleased and surprised. Gonna try to do it again next oil change. Puttin so little miles on daily driver due to working from home.
Hey!
yes I forget what the code was but like I said it happened 3 times first and last covered by Kia in fact the last one the replaced the entire assembly so fingers crossed I won’t have anymore issue.
What valve cleaner did you use?
I don’t know if I got lucky with my engine swap but I did my best to make it clear to Kia and the dealership that I was anal and if the car was not perfect I wouldn’t take it until it was but I had a great relationship with my salesman and i have to say Kia was amazing I got almost daily progress reports the dealership sent me photos before and after **** Kia even told my the shipping progress of the replacement engine like ”it’s in Kentucky now just left” I was very impressed and the car has been solid ever since I now have 105,000 on the odometer and it’s just been routine maintenance along the way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
CRC GDI valve and turbo cleaner. Was skeptical at first but it made a noticeable difference.
Thanks maybe I will try that tomorrow can’t wait for my new throttle sensor to arrive but I want a clean intake when it gets here!
thanks Bob the berrymans one looks interesting too.
also apologies for highjacking the thread guys feel free to dm me anytime
thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
68 Posts
Thanks maybe I will try that tomorrow can’t wait for my new throttle sensor to arrive but I want a clean intake when it gets here!
thanks Bob the berrymans one looks interesting too.
also apologies for highjacking the thread guys feel free to dm me anytime
thanks!
Another recommendation and vote for using the CRC Intake & Valve Cleaner spray. I used it at only 12k (2.4GDI) and it made a noticeable difference already. I began feeling the engine bog down a little around the 10k mark. Keep in-mind I use top-tier Shell fuel and usually 89 midgrade octane that's non-ethanol.

So I was real shocked to witness soot and carbon so early in my engine's life, along with GDI / fuel lines concerns. The gas station we mostly use is well cared for and does a good business. We never pump gas when the fuel tanker is present. Besides always using top-tier mid-grade fuel at Shell, we use Techron Fuel Line Cleaner Concentrate every 5K.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another recommendation and vote for using the CRC Intake & Valve Cleaner spray. I used it at only 12k (2.4GDI) and it made a noticeable difference already. I began feeling the engine bog down a little around the 10k mark. Keep in-mind I use top-tier Shell fuel and usually 89 midgrade octane that's non-ethanol.

So I was real shocked to witness soot and carbon so early in my engine's life, along with GDI / fuel lines concerns. The gas station we mostly use is well cared for and does a good business. We never pump gas when the fuel tanker is present. Besides always using top-tier mid-grade fuel at Shell, we use Techron Fuel Line Cleaner Concentrate every 5K.
Gotta remember GDI engines don’t flush the back sides of the valves with fuel so all those additives in top tier fuel don’t get to work as well they do on standard multi point fuel injected engines.
Also valve timing is being constantly adjusted by the computer it also tends to hold them open as long as possible to increase efficiency but in doing so it also exposes the valves to increased carbon build up so it’s not a surprise to be carboned up after only 10k.
An oil catch can should be standard equipment on GDI engines so install one as soon as you can.
Don’t misunderstand me I too use only top tier gas and Techron but they just aren’t as effective on our GDI engines as they are on standard injected motors.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
68 Posts
Gotta remember GDI engines don’t flush the back sides of the valves with fuel so all those additives in top tier fuel don’t get to work as well they do on standard multi point fuel injected engines.
Also valve timing is being constantly adjusted by the computer it also tends to hold them open as long as possible to increase efficiency but in doing so it also exposes the valves to increased carbon build up so it’s not a surprise to be carboned up after only 10k.
An oil catch can should be standard equipment on GDI engines so install one as soon as you can.
Don’t misunderstand me I too use only top tier gas and Techron but they just aren’t as effective on our GDI engines as they are on standard injected motors.
Thnx Rich

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Here is a picture from a 2016 Chevy 5.3 GDI with 104000 miles. No intake cleaner used. Looks good in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 kia optima LX, purchased car used for my son 2 months ago. 95,700k miles. Been a good car so far, no engine mods. 2 days ago he starts the car and it has the blinking check engine lights and in limp mode, low rpms. I take the car to my mechanic and he tells me the engine its throwing the P1326 code and the car was really low on oil, he performs oil change and clears the code and car drives fine home with no issues (2miles). During all of this im able to research and see the engine recall and call the dealership to let them know whats going on. Start car today and terrible knocking noise, let dealership know im driving it up there and they say ok yea its fine to drive (dealership is less than 10 miles away) Son gets 0.02 miles away and car dies on him and wont start, had to get towed and now awaiting call back from dealership to see where we go from here. wish me luck

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
- Year, Make, Model, Trim
2012 Kia Optima 2.0T SXL

- Engine/Performance Mods
Injen Intake, TurboXS bypass valve, Wagner Intercooler, Oil Catch Cans (Removed Catch Cans before towing into dealership)

- Mileage at the time of failure

- Determined cause of engine failure
Code p1326 active. Performed bearing clearance test. Results show no pass.

- Was proper maintenance performed?
Yes. Used Synthetic 5w-40 oil. Either Pennzoil or Castrol. Had a K&N oil filter on when I took the car in.

- Was it covered under warranty?
Yes. Halleluiah

- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
No. Service tech said Kia is giving me a new engine worth $5-6k so they were not going to provide a car rental
- What was the outcome?
Dropped off 11/24/20 and picked up 12/02/20. New long block installed. Turbo, intake manifold, spark plugs, etc were transferred over to new long block. Service manager said the new engines are pre-broken in already so nothing special was needed to be done. I may still drive it in varying speeds and keeping rpms under 4k for 600 miles and swap the oil out to 5w-40 at 1500 miles though. I had them fix the steering wheel click under warranty while my car was there too.

Jerry Seiner Kia in South Jordan, UT took care of me. Overall I'm happy about my experience and hoping the car lasts another 100k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine just died...

2012 Optima SX Turbo
2.0L Turbo, no mods
195,000 km
Knock sensor malfunction
Oil changes done every 8,000 km with synthetic oil
Covered under warranty (but probably not 5,000 km later)
Rental car covered
Wanted to charge me $400 for a new starter, called Kia Canada to complain and they included it in the claim.
Only took 1 week to replace and get it back! Everything is running great.
Just wondering why they say it doesn't need a break in but confirmed it is a new engine...?
did they put a new or used engine?
Just curious cuz just happened to me over the weekend.

561 - 580 of 588 Posts