Kia Optima Forums banner

541 - 560 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,010 Posts
That's what I said. I said when you put the new engine in are you not putting new coolant in it? And the Kia Service Writer said I would be responsible for paying that. I also asked about the Crankcase service since they are putting a new engine. Not sure why they would be servicing the Crankcase?
I then took the estimate to my mechanic and he said to deny all of it. That he could do these services if need be. But the Kia Service Writer would not budge. And basically said these were mandatory. Which was the crankcase service, coolant fluid exchange, fuel system decarb and transmission fluid exchange. Total will be almost $1000 with taxes. Should I go back up there and fight it?
Strictly playing devil's advocate here--i.e., I'm not siding with the dealer; the dealer could/might try to argue that it was the engine that failed, not the coolant; also, the engine failed due to an issue with debris rather than an issue with coolant/coolant system. If you sorta think about it--if you were to buy and install a new/rebuilt engine yourself, would you expect there to be coolant already included with the engine?

OTOH you can counter by noting that if one were to follow the "owner has to pay for the coolant" logic, then why didn't the dealer charge the owner for the new oil that needs to be put into the engine since they're already charging him for the coolant?

For the transmission fluid exchange--depending on when was the last time it was done (if at all), perhaps it needed to be done sooner or later so might as well get it done anyways; ditto for the brake fluid exchange as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, as many of you, I have experienced a blown motor in my 2014 Optima LX. I was at 97K miles and was cruising down the freeway at about 70ish when I lost power, had the engine light come up and went into limp mode. Luckily I was able to get off the freeway and into a park and ride where I was able to get a tow truck through my insurance. As for keeping up with maintenance, yes. I was changing my oil on the regular at the same local super lube. they were constantly making comments on how bad it looked, but I figured it was them trying to sell me something. Sure enough I had my oil changed on a Friday and Saturday afternoon it died! Of course with all this scary pandemic going around, the dealership was closed and the tow company had to hold my car for two nights (three days according to them). So that cost me about $95 out of pocket, but the car made it to the dealer early Monday morning. I got a call about noon saying that it's going to need a new motor and Kia was going to cover it and a rental. The service manager told me that this is so common that they change a motor at least once or twice a month. Their one mechanic has gotten so good at it in fact that he is able to swap it out in 4hrs. So far it has been a decent experience minus the motor blowing of course. They did tell me that the motor is covered for the life of the car and that if it were to happen again, that it would be covered. My concern is the service manager said that it isnt a matter of IF it will happen again but WHEN it will. Does anyone else have concerns or doubts on their repaired motors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, as many of you, I have experienced a blown motor in my 2014 Optima LX. I was at 97K miles and was cruising down the freeway at about 70ish when I lost power, had the engine light come up and went into limp mode. Luckily I was able to get off the freeway and into a park and ride where I was able to get a tow truck through my insurance. As for keeping up with maintenance, yes. I was changing my oil on the regular at the same local super lube. they were constantly making comments on how bad it looked, but I figured it was them trying to sell me something. Sure enough I had my oil changed on a Friday and Saturday afternoon it died! Of course with all this scary pandemic going around, the dealership was closed and the tow company had to hold my car for two nights (three days according to them). So that cost me about $95 out of pocket, but the car made it to the dealer early Monday morning. I got a call about noon saying that it's going to need a new motor and Kia was going to cover it and a rental. The service manager told me that this is so common that they change a motor at least once or twice a month. Their one mechanic has gotten so good at it in fact that he is able to swap it out in 4hrs. So far it has been a decent experience minus the motor blowing of course. They did tell me that the motor is covered for the life of the car and that if it were to happen again, that it would be covered. My concern is the service manager said that it isnt a matter of IF it will happen again but WHEN it will. Does anyone else have concerns or doubts on their repaired motors?

Thanks!
Try to catch up, im on engine 4 😂, this current engine, they got in within a week while giving me a rental though....last 2 times it took them a month and no rental. I said I was gonna sell, but it isn't exactly easy to get a car atm so I'll keep this cutie with a horrible personality (engine). Constantly monitoring for misfires though, first sight and im taking it in.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,454 Posts

Thanks!
FWIW: Given what I learned of what was redesigned and improved, the lifetime engine warranty for the issue, the fact that I was very well treated when I had to have mine replaced (at 76K miles), I have no concerns or doubts about my motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, we seem to have a lot of these threads popping up lately, I would like a single thread to discuss engine failures and what people have had to go through to fix it.

If you are going through an engine replacement or have in the past, please be sure to post in here with as much information as you can about the following:

• Year, Make, Model, Trim
  • Engine/Performance Mods
  • Mileage at the time of failure
  • Determined cause of engine failure
  • Was proper maintenance performed?
  • Was it covered under warranty?
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
  • What was the outcome?
EDIT: Google Doc Spreadsheet by Mr N00blar

Engine Failures - Optimaforums.net - Google Drive
2013 Optima SXL, had 82k miles at the time. I was driving about 80-85 mph on the highway when the light flashed and the car went into limp mode. Was able to drive home then called a tow truck to bring to dealership. Was given a rental free of charge, car failed “engine knock test”. Fully rebuilt engine was installed after about a month, free of charge. Although KIA told me months prior to this happening that my car wasn’t part of the recall, the engine was in fact covered under the recall. No service records were requested. I live in Rhode Island and handled this issue with Tasca Kia in Johnston. Best of luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a question, what motors are needing to be replaced? I have a 2018 EX with the 2.4. Same motor I believe that was in my 06 Sonata for 13 years.

·
Registered
2015 EX Premium
9 Posts
Hopefully I won't be another one. Wife took her car through car wash, pulled out of car wash, and check engine light came on and it went into limp mode. Towed to dealer, and they said knock sensor. Replaced knock sensor, drove it 10 miles, and check engine light came on again. They told me they have to send audio and video recordings to Kia so their engineers can inspect them.
Dealer's been kind of shady to begin with, not keeping me updated very well, telling me I have $100 deductible on my warranty when I don't (Confirmed with warranty company). Got it towed in Friday, now it's Wednesday, and have only heard from them the one time. I have this Friday off, I plan on making a trip to dealer to talk to them face to face.
Just bought the car ('15), in Feb., took it to them for our first oil change at 75k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a bad response / pickup from the dealer time-frame. Hope she's fixed right this time.
But you might not get your key fob, until you pay $100. Let us know what transpires.

·
Registered
2015 EX Premium
9 Posts
I am very pleased with what transpired. Even tho the dealer didn't communicate what was going on very well, they didn't charge me a thing (Except for a $99 alignment). No deductible or anything. Even tho the warranty company was closed for the 4th (he tried to call), he marked everything off.
Now let's hope that's all the problem was

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new here. Well, I too fell victim to the Kia engine failure which happened 2 weeks ago while driving home. I have the 2.4 liter and I just hit 110k miles on the odometer when within a mile of hitting that milestone the check engine light came on. The engine went into limp mode and shut off completely while doing 70 mph on the highway. Got it coasted off the highway and into a hotel parking lot. Then got it towed to the dealership were they did the test on the engine and it failed. Since the engine had the lifetime warranty from the recall it was replaced at no cost and a rental was also covered by the dealership.
The dealership had the car for a week and a half and since picking the car up last Friday, I have noticed that the fuel mileage has dropped significantly. Also, I have noticed the car now feels really underpowered.
Has anyone else experienced any of this when they got their car back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 2.4 liter and I have noticed that the fuel mileage has dropped significantly. Also, I have noticed the car now feels really underpowered.
Has anyone else experienced any of this when they got their car back?
My mileage seems like it has dropped, but it's hard for me to gauge exactly because COVID-19 has changed my work commute(less congestion). However, i can definitely say that the replacement engine feels lethargic. Occasionally, i have to romp on the throttle to merge onto a 2 lane highway and i've noticed that the "surge" of power that used to come on ~5000 RPM with the original engine is missing with the replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It just hit me over the weekend. The dealer said it was covered, we shall see...

- Year, Make, Model, Trim
2015 Kia Optima LX
- Engine/Performance Mods
None
- Mileage at the time of failure
- Determined cause of engine failure
Not sure, but threw the P1326 code
- Was proper maintenance performed?
Yes,
- Was it covered under warranty?
Yes
- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
Will find out tomorrow
- What was the outcome?
TBD

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mileage seems like it has dropped, but it's hard for me to gauge exactly because COVID-19 has changed my work commute(less congestion). However, i can definitely say that the replacement engine feels lethargic. Occasionally, i have to romp on the throttle to merge onto a 2 lane highway and i've noticed that the "surge" of power that used to come on ~5000 RPM with the original engine is missing with the replacement.
I feel the same way regarding the power at the higher rpm. Although with the engine being new I'm a little hesitant to romp on it yet. However, I am on a new tank of gas and it seems to be getting better mileage than when I picked up the car. Maybe the cars computer needed to follow my driving pattern??

·
Registered
4 Posts
It just hit me over the weekend. The dealer said it was covered, we shall see...

- Year, Make, Model, Trim
2015 Kia Optima LX
- Engine/Performance Mods
None
- Mileage at the time of failure
- Determined cause of engine failure
Not sure, but threw the P1326 code
- Was proper maintenance performed?
Yes,
- Was it covered under warranty?
Yes
- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
Will find out tomorrow
- What was the outcome?
TBD
Just picked it up this morning. The folks were real nice. Gave me a 2020
Rogue as a rental. All expenses covered by Kia. Car feels better as well.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
68 Posts
That's what I said. I said when you put the new engine in are you not putting new coolant in it? And the Kia Service Writer said I would be responsible for paying that. I also asked about the Crankcase service since they are putting a new engine. Not sure why they would be servicing the Crankcase?
I then took the estimate to my mechanic and he said to deny all of it. That he could do these services if need be. But the Kia Service Writer would not budge. And basically said these were mandatory. Which was the crankcase service, coolant fluid exchange, fuel system decarb and transmission fluid exchange. Total will be almost $1000 with taxes. Should I go back up there and fight it?
Hope you got your car fixed and didn't get ripped off by that dealer. :)

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,769 Posts
OK I just got the check engine light flashing, and it threw the code P1326.

That is the specific code mentioned in the engine recall product improvement campaign, for the Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) that detects vibrations indicating the onset of excessive connecting rod bearing wear.

Has anyone gotten this code been denied a new engine? I read of someone who had a replacement harness put in, but ultimately got a new engine. I'm just wondering if the code P1326 can be caused by bad gas or anything else that is not a bad engine?

I'm going to pull the plugs and look over the engine harnesses to see if anything is amiss, before I take it into the dealership for diagnosis.

541 - 560 of 561 Posts