Kia Optima Forums banner

521 - 540 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could care less about the car now just bought a new white 2020 gt awd stinger lol. Car's just gonna sit there now basically

·
Registered
81 Posts
One issue has been unshielded wiring in the harness that picked up electrical noise that would cause the software in the ECU to think it detected rod knock. There is an improved wiring harness as I understand it that fixes that issue. Not everybody will experience this, depending on how their wiring harness was made. I'm still on my original one and have had no issues, even with the free replacement engine. Sometimes the knock sensor itself goes bad and results in a similar thing. Either way, the dealer will likely fix this for free under the recall.
I recently had all the recalls done at once with the exception of getting the engine replaced. They ran their "tests" and deemed the engine to be okay. They also installed a new harness, knock sensor, and a larger oil line feed to the turbo. Does anyone know where this "knock sensor" is??? my dash looks the same...:confused:

I have 2012 Optima SX with only 28,000 miles. I'm hoping they still cover me if I ever make it up to 65, 75,000 miles...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recently had all the recalls done at once with the exception of getting the engine replaced. They ran their "tests" and deemed the engine to be okay. They also installed a new harness, knock sensor, and a larger oil line feed to the turbo. Does anyone know where this "knock sensor" is??? my dash looks the same...:confused:

I have 2012 Optima SX with only 28,000 miles. I'm hoping they still cover me if I ever make it up to 65, 75,000 miles...:rolleyes:
I did the same exact thing. 3 months later my engine was toast. They replaced it per the recall at nearly 100k miles....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,631 Posts
Engine has a Lifetime Warranty, also covers the replacement engine, and for all owners for what they call the "debris" issue, so no worries. It's just and annoyance, inconvenience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So they are charging me $369 for the recommended LONG kit as it is recommended to replace this when the engine is being replaced.
I guess I can’t complain as I am getting a whole new engine, one would think if it recommended it should be replaced at no cost as well.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,631 Posts
Ask why there is a $369 charge and find out what it's for.
Zero is replacement cost unless they change something that doesn't come with the replacement engine, e.g. serpentine belt, pulleys,or something they find worn. If the car was fine when going in, change nothing, zero cost, even oil, anti freeze etc is all covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So now I’m back in the waiting room at the deal. Driving to drop my kids off my engine started over heating. Stopped got coolant and popped the hood too see the reservoir empty. Filled it up and still has been overheating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have a 2015 Kia Optima with 87k miles that turned off while driving last week. Pulled over immediately and engine was not turning over or anything. Completely dead. Saw a bit of white smoke from battery side of engine. Smelled like electric burning. Had it towed to Kia where they said the engine locked up and possible burnt the starter. Kia approved replacement engine and starter under the recall. Wasn't replaced under warranty due to me buying the car used. And it has only 60k mile warranty when you are the second owner.
However dealer is charging me "incidentals" which totaled $2427.48. Talked to them and I guess you could say talked them down to only some of the services. Which was the crankcase service, coolant fluid exchange, fuel system decarb and transmission fluid exchange. Is this normal? I would think it would be covered 100%.
unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I have a 2015 Kia Optima with 87k miles that turned off while driving last week. Pulled over immediately and engine was not turning over or anything. Completely dead. Saw a bit of white smoke from battery side of engine. Smelled like electric burning. Had it towed to Kia where they said the engine locked up and possible burnt the starter. Kia approved replacement engine and starter under the recall. Wasn't replaced under warranty due to me buying the car used. And it has only 60k mile warranty when you are the second owner.
However dealer is charging me "incidentals" which totaled $2427.48. Talked to them and I guess you could say talked them down to only some of the services. Which was the crankcase service, coolant fluid exchange, fuel system decarb and transmission fluid exchange. Is this normal? I would think it would be covered 100%. View attachment 248078
Have it towed to a reputable Kia dealership.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,010 Posts
Looks like some of the listed services either needed to be done eventually regardless of engine failure--the A/C leak being one of them--that's almost 1/3rd of your total right there, or perhaps you may have been able to do it yourself (cabin filter replacement).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like some of the listed services either needed to be done eventually regardless of engine failure--the A/C leak being one of them--that's almost 1/3rd of your total right there, or perhaps you may have been able to do it yourself (cabin filter replacement).
What is "crankcase service", tonester?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,010 Posts
To be honest I don't know since only that dealership knows what kind of service is performed when they are doing the "crankcase service"; I can guess of a few things--maybe replace the PCV valve, spray some cleaner into the valve cover chamber (typically via the port where the PCV valve is), check and/or replace valve cover hoses. At $110 that they are charging you for that service, I'm pretty sure they are not removing the valve cover and cleaning the inside of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be honest I don't know since only that dealership knows what kind of service is performed when they are doing the "crankcase service"; I can guess of a few things--maybe replace the PCV valve, spray some cleaner into the valve cover chamber (typically via the port where the PCV valve is), check and/or replace valve cover hoses. At $110 that they are charging you for that service, I'm pretty sure they are not removing the valve cover and cleaning the inside of it.
OK. What is the "Coolant Fluid Exchange" for $160? Coolant replacement is included at no charge when they replace the engine. Do i even need to mention "Brake Fluid Exchange" for $140? This dealership is not reputable. Unfortunately the OP hasn't been back on here, so i guess the dealership read him/her correctly(sucker).

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK. What is the "Coolant Fluid Exchange" for $160? Coolant replacement is included at no charge when they replace the engine. Do i even need to mention "Brake Fluid Exchange" for $140? This dealership is not reputable. Unfortunately the OP hasn't been back on here, so i guess the dealership read him/her correctly(sucker).
That's what I said. I said when you put the new engine in are you not putting new coolant in it? And the Kia Service Writer said I would be responsible for paying that. I also asked about the Crankcase service since they are putting a new engine. Not sure why they would be servicing the Crankcase?
I then took the estimate to my mechanic and he said to deny all of it. That he could do these services if need be. But the Kia Service Writer would not budge. And basically said these were mandatory. Which was the crankcase service, coolant fluid exchange, fuel system decarb and transmission fluid exchange. Total will be almost $1000 with taxes. Should I go back up there and fight it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would tell them to f-off. My dealer didn't charge me a dime for anything and threw in a couple of things, like replacing the burnt starter, got me a whole new turbo...there is a really wide range of experiences depending on the dealer.

Also, as long as it was under 120k miles, it shouldn't make any difference how many owners there have been.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
....this scares me...Pushing 90k miles, I guess I should start putting pennies away for a new motor, just in case ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
My 2012 EX 2.4 locked up at 67,500 k. I drover her with "free oil changes". The cheap oil mix with my flogging it killed the motor dead. It burned oil even at 40k. bad oil man.

·
Premium Member
2015 SX-T SWP, 2012 EX, Spicy Red
73 Posts
That's what I said. I said when you put the new engine in are you not putting new coolant in it? And the Kia Service Writer said I would be responsible for paying that. I also asked about the Crankcase service since they are putting a new engine. Not sure why they would be servicing the Crankcase?
I then took the estimate to my mechanic and he said to deny all of it. That he could do these services if need be. But the Kia Service Writer would not budge. And basically said these were mandatory. Which was the crankcase service, coolant fluid exchange, fuel system decarb and transmission fluid exchange. Total will be almost $1000 with taxes. Should I go back up there and fight it?
Me too! The dealer replaced the engine in my 2012, then I got brake pads and new tires, and they didn't bother to tell me my brake fluid needed to be changed? They did a brake job and didnt bother to even ask me or check the fluid?? It was rusted!!! The dealer doesn't care. I have a new, honest shop, and just use dealer for warranty stuff on my 2012 red ex with still only 72k, and they put crappy Kumho tires on it that understeer like mad. I like the Nexens better. I gave the car to my daughter for Christmas. She still hasn't bothered to get her license at 20 yrs old. LMAO. I still use my 2012 as daily driver. My 2015 turbo is for fun.

521 - 540 of 561 Posts