Kia Optima Forums banner

501 - 520 of 530 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,440 Posts
The turbos usually only start using oil when they become worn. The new engine in the 2.0T hasn't used a drop in 4900 miles so far and it has the original turbo 175,000 miles. Have had 2 other turbo cars, no problems, actually one we still have is 30 years old and no oil consumption.
FYI: My original turbo 2.0L engine ran great (tuned) till 76K miles when it developed the "rod knock of death". Never used oil at all. My replacement engine (which was a hassle free and took 10 days back in Dec '18) now has about 10K on it, runs great (tuned) and also does not use oil.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
170 Posts
Well it started out in 2017, 2011 to 2014 Optima recall for engine problem, but then it was increased to cover the 2011-2017, then through the 2019 model year. Personally -I would think all the cars with the 2.4/2.0T engines would be suspect, including new vehicles. Probably just too soon to know if there's going to be engine problems with the 2020, but 2019 have had problems.
We haven't gotten any recall notice for our 15. No issues here (Thankfully!). If the 2020 Optimas have engine failures then they shouldn't even refresh the darn car until they get the engines in check, no point in them selling brand new cars that are prone to engine failures. I talked to the dealer about the engines a couple of months back and about the 15s being included in the recall and I was told that the 2015 models are not included in the recall for the engine replacements. If these cars are ALL getting recalled 2011-2020 for engines then KIA should snatch every one of them off dealer lots and do something about it so the engines WON'T fail...It's stupid that people who have replacement engines have had those fail as well so obviously the replacement engines are NOT made properly and have issues as well.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
38 Posts
We haven't gotten any recall notice for our 15. No issues here (Thankfully!). If the 2020 Optimas have engine failures then they shouldn't even refresh the darn car until they get the engines in check, no point in them selling brand new cars that are prone to engine failures. I talked to the dealer about the engines a couple of months back and about the 15s being included in the recall and I was told that the 2015 models are not included in the recall for the engine replacements. If these cars are ALL getting recalled 2011-2020 for engines then KIA should snatch every one of them off dealer lots and do something about it so the engines WON'T fail...It's stupid that people who have replacement engines have had those fail as well so obviously the replacement engines are NOT made properly and have issues as well.
I have a 2015 LX that had the update. Now mine is from Korea, and not the US plant as per the VIN, so I'm not too sure what the failure rate for the Korean makes are. Most of the members here are from the States, so I assume most Optimas here have the VIN starting in 5.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
170 Posts
I have a 2015 LX that had the update. Now mine is from Korea, and not the US plant as per the VIN, so I'm not too sure what the failure rate for the Korean makes are. Most of the members here are from the States, so I assume most Optimas here have the VIN starting in 5.
The first number in our VIN starts with 4. So guessing it's not American made.

No wonder our VIN doesn't start with 5XX

EDIT: I just checked the window sticker and our car was Korean made final assembly point: Korea.
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT: KOREA
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ENGINE: KOREA
TRANSMISSION: KOREA

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
38 Posts
The first number in our VIN starts with 4. So guessing it's not American made.

No wonder our VIN doesn't start with 5XX

EDIT: I just checked the window sticker and our car was Korean made final assembly point: Korea.
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT: KOREA
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ENGINE: KOREA
TRANSMISSION: KOREA
Last time I saw, VINs starting in 1.4,5 designated cars made in the States:unsure:

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
170 Posts
Last time I saw, VINs starting in 1.4,5 designated cars made in the States:unsure:
Our VIN begins with K. The number I was referring to was the 6th digit. Plus the window sticker says Korea for final assembly point.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
745 Posts
For Kias AFAIK if the first VIN digit is a "5" then it was built in the U.S.

Optima_K5--that sixth digit you referred to (the one that in your case is a "4") is part of the next 5 sets of digits (three through eight) that represents the vehicle brand/body style/engine/etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there, have the 2011 Optima SX Turbo, have already had the engine replaced with the recall but was wondering if someone has an experience with getting the new engine and then that new engine failing. How long after the new one did yours fail?? I'm two years in and I'm worried it'll fail, I'd rather trade it in when I buy new instead of keeping it as a beater for fear that it won't last as long as I'd want it to. HELP.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,107 Posts
Not personally, but replacement engines have failed, but why worry, they're covered with the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Kia Optima 2.4L EX Non-Turbo

Purchased in 2014 with 30 miles on it.

Car now has 178,780 miles on it.

Driving on the highway after 150 miles in cruise control (75 mph) engine light comes on and car slows out of cruise and is limited to 1800 rpm (limp mode).

Drive the final 30 miles home on limp. By limiting rpm and using 4th gear make it home at 55 mph.

Take the car to the dealer on Wednesday February 12, 2020.

Immediate diagnosis of engine failure due to “knock” code – immediately issued a loaner car.

Engine replaced and pick up car on Monday February 17, 2020 – only 5 days.

Paid $400 for new belts, hoses (~$200) and transmission flush that was due (~$200).

Surprised that the car runs a lot quieter – think the key engine mounts were tightened, so probably not unexpected.

Very happy with the service from Premier Kia in Branford, Connecticut.

• Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2014 Optima 2.4L EX Non-Turbo – premium package
  • Engine/Performance Mods – none that I am aware of
  • Mileage at the time of failure: 178,780
  • Determined cause of engine failure – engine knock
  • Was proper maintenance performed? – yes – all factory scheduled
  • Was it covered under warranty? YES
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Dealer gave me a loaner – new SPORTAGE
  • What was the outcome? New engine installed within 5 days
Also from CT:
2012 2.4-No Mods-95K-Knock/Metal Shavings-Properly Maintained- Replacement Covered-Rental Provided-Remanufactured Engine Installed in 6 days.
Original owner car that was not thrashed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2nd engine just triggered my knock sensor. Waiting game once again from the dealer. After 45k miles my first engine died supposedly leaking oil from the engine but they couldn't prove it. Fine they repaired it and got me into a rental. Now 6 months later another knock. So I'll hear back Monday or Tuesday can't wait to hear the news. Maintain my car with Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic every 4000 miles and the Kia OEM filters. I have an ex 2.4 and there is nothing for me to possibly to mod wise besides appearance.
Have 65k miles on it currently

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, fingers crossed mine qualifies for the recall.
Today 3-10-2020
2013 Kia Optima Ex 103k miles. Died at stop light, all lights on dash came on and would not start back up. Had to get towed to dealership and just waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lol apparently faulty wiring from the knock sensor install triggered my engine to go into limp mode. Left Monday night with it fine just got it straight piped the next day then today it goes into limp mode again after being promised it shouldn't. Then dealer forgot to tell me the part came and it was 4 pm est yet it came in this morning. They then proceed to tell me you can come in first thing tmrr and we'll replace the part that arrived from Korea. Wtf would cause a knock sensor to kick my car into limp mode if it's not knocking....

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,440 Posts
One issue has been unshielded wiring in the harness that picked up electrical noise that would cause the software in the ECU to think it detected rod knock. There is an improved wiring harness as I understand it that fixes that issue. Not everybody will experience this, depending on how their wiring harness was made. I'm still on my original one and have had no issues, even with the free replacement engine. Sometimes the knock sensor itself goes bad and results in a similar thing. Either way, the dealer will likely fix this for free under the recall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Correct but this is not safe as I was driving when this happened every time. We have highway speeds of up to 80 around here and the fact that I can only go up to 60 sucks. It was not a fun drive to the dealership everytime it happened.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
745 Posts
Wonder if the wiring harness (whether it's the "improved" one or not) insulation is made of biodegradeable (i.e., environmentally-friendly) material, because it's been shown that if so, then it'll eventually degrade or else get chewed on by rodents. BMW and MB are notorious for using such material--I've seen it first-hand as the insulation of the headlight wiring on my BMW had essentially crumbled away, exposing bare wire.

501 - 520 of 530 Posts