Kia Optima Forums banner

481 - 500 of 551 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
On the receipt/service manifest it says "courtesy" items due to catastrophic failure. Also got a new starter to boot because they melted the solenoid doing tests and trying to start a siezed engine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
105 Posts
On the receipt/service manifest it says "courtesy" items due to catastrophic failure. Also got a new starter to boot because they melted the solenoid doing tests and trying to start a siezed engine.

Great deal. Still waiting for mine to crap out. 53k miles and still going strong although it’s not my daily driver anymore. Just sits as a third car. I do get it out once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Kia Optima 2.4L EX Non-Turbo Owner since 7 miles on the vehicle purchased in 2014 and recently had an engine failure on busy highway (JANUARY 22, 2020) This failure occurred at 142K miles (25K Miles per year) All warning lights lit up when the engine stalled while going 75MPH. Loud Knocking noises and metal rattle during failure. I was able to start engine again and drive to the local dealership (7 Miles away) with weak acceleration issues, loud knocking, and metal rattle. I recommend you do not so this, but I did not want to wait hours for a tow truck on the side of a busy highway. Quick Diagnostic Tool showed a P0014 Diagnosis code. KIA Service tech says engine was done (major rod damage) and I needed a new one. Kirby KIA of Ventura especially Service Advisor Zolly gave me zero hassles, put me in a loaner right away, checks on me everyday and keeps me updated throughout the process thus far

Notified a day after the incident (JANUARY 23, 2020) that the engine will be replaced and covered under warranty (I did not have extended warranty and was way past the original) Although I’m not too happy about dealing with an engine failure, KIA Corporate and Kirby KIA of Ventura went the extra mile to change the worst customer experience possible into a positive one.

Only questions I have is: How long will warranty be on the new engine? Secondly, how will miles be calculated on new engine? Does the ECU reset the odometer or will we continue racking miles on top of the first engine? Lastly, does resale value get affected due to records of engine replacement being shown on CarFax?

- Year, Make, Model, Trim
2014 Optima 2.4L EX Non-Turbo

- Engine/Performance Mods
Injen Cold Air Intake

- Mileage at the time of failure

- Determined cause of engine failure
Rod Damage

- Was proper maintenance performed?
Factory Schedule and Specs

- Was it covered under warranty?
Yes!

- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
Put me in a car within 10Minutes

- What was the outcome?
New Engine
They also offered to replace some hoses etc that were not related to the issue and needed to be replaced, just billed me at cost for original parts (didn’t get charged for labor).

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
38 Posts
Just a question regarding these failures.....
How many of these are experienced with Korean VINs? I'm assuming most of the vehicles here are American VINs as most users appear to be from the United States.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Odometer does not reset. It reflects total miles the car, not the engine.

I would assume resale value would increase with a new engine, but am not sure that would be reflected on an online value estimator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my 2012 Kia Optima LX in December 2014 and I'm currently on my 2nd engine replacement due to the recall.

My first happened on 2/14/18 with 124k miles. I was stuck in traffic going 10mph in the fast lane and my car started to shake and wanted to stall. The oil light came on. I was able to get to a rest stop and it was towed. The connecting rod broke.

My second engine failure happened while I was driving up a hill on 1/23/19, 182k miles. While pressing the gas, the pedal went to the floor, no power, and the engine light started to flash. I was able to get it to the dealership safely and they got the same code as before.

Has anyone had to replace more than 1 engine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Kia Optima 2.4L EX Non-Turbo Owner since 7 miles on the vehicle purchased in 2014 and recently had an engine failure on busy highway (JANUARY 22, 2020) This failure occurred at 142K miles (25K Miles per year) All warning lights lit up when the engine stalled while going 75MPH. Loud Knocking noises and metal rattle during failure. I was able to start engine again and drive to the local dealership (7 Miles away) with weak acceleration issues, loud knocking, and metal rattle. I recommend you do not so this, but I did not want to wait hours for a tow truck on the side of a busy highway. Quick Diagnostic Tool showed a P0014 Diagnosis code. KIA Service tech says engine was done (major rod damage) and I needed a new one. Kirby KIA of Ventura especially Service Advisor Zolly gave me zero hassles, put me in a loaner right away, checks on me everyday and keeps me updated throughout the process thus far

Notified a day after the incident (JANUARY 23, 2020) that the engine will be replaced and covered under warranty (I did not have extended warranty and was way past the original) Although I’m not too happy about dealing with an engine failure, KIA Corporate and Kirby KIA of Ventura went the extra mile to change the worst customer experience possible into a positive one.

Only questions I have is: How long will warranty be on the new engine? Secondly, how will miles be calculated on new engine? Does the ECU reset the odometer or will we continue racking miles on top of the first engine? Lastly, does resale value get affected due to records of engine replacement being shown on CarFax?

- Year, Make, Model, Trim
2014 Optima 2.4L EX Non-Turbo

- Engine/Performance Mods
Injen Cold Air Intake

- Mileage at the time of failure

- Determined cause of engine failure
Rod Damage

- Was proper maintenance performed?
Factory Schedule and Specs

- Was it covered under warranty?
Yes!

- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
Put me in a car within 10Minutes

- What was the outcome?
New Engine
They also offered to replace some hoses etc that were not related to the issue and needed to be replaced, just billed me at cost for original parts (didn’t get charged for labor).

The warranty for your engine is lifetime of the car. You need to add the package: replace belts and other parts that connect to the engine for the warranty to stay in effect. If you decline and your engine fails, your engine is not covered under the warranty. The Odometer doesn't reset.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The warranty for your engine is lifetime of the car. You need to add the package: replace belts and other parts that connect to the engine for the warranty to stay in effect. If you decline and your engine fails, your engine is not covered under the warranty. The Odometer doesn't reset.
Nobody asked me about or offered a package for the warranty, but they did indicate lifetime warranty on the engine. The dealer here gave me new things they weren't required to, so maybe they just threw that in. I'll have to check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased my 2012 Kia Optima LX in December 2014 and I'm currently on my 2nd engine replacement due to the recall.

My first happened on 2/14/18 with 124k miles. I was stuck in traffic going 10mph in the fast lane and my car started to shake and wanted to stall. The oil light came on. I was able to get to a rest stop and it was towed. The connecting rod broke.

My second engine failure happened while I was driving up a hill on 1/23/19, 182k miles. While pressing the gas, the pedal went to the floor, no power, and the engine light started to flash. I was able to get it to the dealership safely and they got the same code as before.

Has anyone had to replace more than 1 engine?
[SORRY FOR RANT IN ADVANCE ??]
Yes, and you have no idea how irritating it is. Purchased my 2013 optima sxl at 99k miles from some small 3rd party dealership. Signed then drove off the lot and not even 10minutes down the road engine locked up and died. Luckily they called kia and said engine was under lifetime warranty. So brand new (used) car with a 'new'(remanufactured) engine. Im happy, no issues here. Later within 4k of 5k miles (oil change reader) i start getting misfires from cylinder 2, not major but definitely concerning. Throws car into limp mode. I try changing plugs, change coil on cyl 2 myself and clear CEL to get out of limp mode. Runs a little better but same issue persists.....i take my chances and get on the highway for a job meeting. Get 1 hour 30min down road of 2hr 45min drive i dont drive too hard but im pushing 85 in a 70mph highway. CEL flickers a bit....barely notice. Continue driving and then engine starts stalling hard, i pull off at next exit while losing power and slowing down. Shut car off to try and cool down a bit hoping thatd help, 20min later i restart engine and POOF black smoke everywhere behind me. So $200 tow an hour back toward home but not fully there its back at a different/closer dealership.....plugs replaced again, cyl 2 fuel inj replaced, issue with turbo, they say they'll cover it under warranty and replace it, clean excessive oil out cyl 2 from fouled plugs which let oil n fuel dump into engine. Aaaaaand then 2.5 weeks later, they find out cyl 2 is not holding compression so 2nd engine has been ordered. And im still waiting on my car ?‍♂. Never going back with kia cars (dealerships were always helpful) . If i ever did go back with them though id probably only do it for a stinger...most likely leased.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,559 Posts
Well it started out in 2017, 2011 to 2014 Optima recall for engine problem, but then it was increased to cover the 2011-2017, then through the 2019 model year. Personally -I would think all the cars with the 2.4/2.0T engines would be suspect, including new vehicles. Probably just too soon to know if there's going to be engine problems with the 2020, but 2019 have had problems.

There is no stipulation what needs to be done, maintenance wise, to be covered with the lifetime engine warranty, but before replacement, they'll remove the valve cover to check the seals if complaning about high oil consumption.

With every engine problem, Kia steps up to the plate and does a replacement, but at times the engine decides to die at a very inopportune moment.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
322 Posts
My 2016 SX consumes a good amount of oil. Oil light came on while going around a corner the other day, so had to top it off. Guess we'll see if mine grenades. Had all service campaigns done, so I'm covered.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,559 Posts
If it uses qt in 500 miles, might be a candidate for a new engine.
Just an fyi, our '11 2.0 turbo ran exceptionally well, no problems at all, only a qt every 400 miles and Kia installed a new engine, 172000 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2016 SX consumes a good amount of oil. Oil light came on while going around a corner the other day, so had to top it off. Guess we'll see if mine grenades. Had all service campaigns done, so I'm covered.
Every small turbo uses a lot of oil in my experience. I used to run Subarus in snow rally/cross and they burn a ton. Isn't necessarily the mark of the end of your motor. But if you are daily driving normally, you barely even get into the turbo, so I can see the concern. Not everyone is purposely redlining as they drift through corners... LOL.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,559 Posts
The turbos usually only start using oil when they become worn. The new engine in the 2.0T hasn't used a drop in 4900 miles so far and it has the original turbo 175,000 miles. Have had 2 other turbo cars, no problems, actually one we still have is 30 years old and no oil consumption.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Kia Optima 2.4L EX Non-Turbo

Purchased in 2014 with 30 miles on it.

Car now has 178,780 miles on it.

Driving on the highway after 150 miles in cruise control (75 mph) engine light comes on and car slows out of cruise and is limited to 1800 rpm (limp mode).

Drive the final 30 miles home on limp. By limiting rpm and using 4th gear make it home at 55 mph.

Take the car to the dealer on Wednesday February 12, 2020.

Immediate diagnosis of engine failure due to “knock” code – immediately issued a loaner car.

Engine replaced and pick up car on Monday February 17, 2020 – only 5 days.

Paid $400 for new belts, hoses (~$200) and transmission flush that was due (~$200).

Surprised that the car runs a lot quieter – think the key engine mounts were tightened, so probably not unexpected.

Very happy with the service from Premier Kia in Branford, Connecticut.

• Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2014 Optima 2.4L EX Non-Turbo – premium package
  • Engine/Performance Mods – none that I am aware of
  • Mileage at the time of failure: 178,780
  • Determined cause of engine failure – engine knock
  • Was proper maintenance performed? – yes – all factory scheduled
  • Was it covered under warranty? YES
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Dealer gave me a loaner – new SPORTAGE
  • What was the outcome? New engine installed within 5 days

481 - 500 of 551 Posts