Kia Optima Forums banner

461 - 480 of 508 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
497 Posts
They had my car for about 40 days after determination that it needs the work. Due to cars ahead of mine and waiting on an engine. They also originally told me the same time as yours. I recommend you except a month of your car being gone. Get a rental and they will pay for it.

·
Registered
2012 SX Turbo
32 Posts
Unfortunately, we seem to have a lot of these threads popping up lately, I would like a single thread to discuss engine failures and what people have had to go through to fix it.

If you are going through an engine replacement or have in the past, please be sure to post in here with as much information as you can about the following:

• Year, Make, Model, Trim
  • Engine/Performance Mods
  • Mileage at the time of failure
  • Determined cause of engine failure
  • Was proper maintenance performed?
  • Was it covered under warranty?
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
  • What was the outcome?
EDIT: Google Doc Spreadsheet by Mr N00blar

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wSo_Bx4DR9kCFY3lOqJsu_5JN33kUU7xDqObGIDtRWs/pubhtml
Mine just died...

2012 Optima SX Turbo
2.0L Turbo, no mods
195,000 km
Knock sensor malfunction
Oil changes done every 8,000 km with synthetic oil
Covered under warranty (but probably not 5,000 km later)
Rental car covered
Wanted to charge me $400 for a new starter, called Kia Canada to complain and they included it in the claim.
Only took 1 week to replace and get it back! Everything is running great.
Just wondering why they say it doesn't need a break in but confirmed it is a new engine...?

·
Registered
2 Posts
  • Year, Make, Model, Trim 2013 SX
  • Engine/Performance Mods: None
  • Mileage at the time of failure 75K
  • Determined cause of engine failure Engine failed
  • Was proper maintenance performed? Yes
  • Was it covered under warranty? Yes
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Yes
  • What was the outcome This occurred this week. Rental car approved. Will wait several days for a time frame on receipt of the new motor
As noted by many others; travelling at freeway speed, about 5 seconds after accelerating lost power. Kept electrical -- lights, flashers, radio, etc. -- coasted to a stop. Gave the engine a minute, then five, then ten and tried restarts. Only sound on restart is one solid "thunk".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: 07/30/19
Good news: KIA approved my new engine, it will take approx 5 days to get to the dealership and another 2 days to put it in.
Bad news: KIA has the gasket kit/set for my engine on backorder. They supposedly put a rush on it but with all the new engines being installed by KIA and Hyundai lately it might take another 2 weeks.
WTh....
Update: 08/16/19
Got my car back. Runs great and service rep says the engine will have a lifetime warranty and long as i keep up with regular oil changes there shouldn't be any more problems. Asked if the lifetime warranty is transferable and he said no. Will get a oil change at 500 miles and then add my Oil Catch Can, HKS spark plugs and Lap3 chip.

·
Registered
2012 LX t2.0
1 Posts
Hey folks, had the same thing happen here as well.
- Year, Make, Model, Trim
2012 EX 2.0t
- Engine/Performance Mods
None yet
- Mileage at the time of failure
Approx 153,000
- Determined cause of engine failure
Nothing other than seizure, failure.
- Was proper maintenance performed?
Yes, regularly
- Was it covered under warranty?
Yes! Thankfully
- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
Yes
- What was the outcome?
Still at the dealership waiting on engine delivery.

Engine failed on 8/4 after having $3300 worth of work and a new set of tires put on. Was sick to my stomach!
My son and I were driving it in an inbuilt neighborhood as he’s learning to drive. We traded seats to head home and revved it pretty high from first to second. Sadly it never made it to second. No pop or noise, just coasted to a stop with some smoke coming from under the hood. Electrical all still operating, but she was dead dead.
Called my wife to come get us and then a tow truck. While waiting on the tow, was debating on taking back to the mechanic shop who performed the recent work or to the dealership. Started reading online and thankfully found many other similar stories and decided to tow it to dealership which turned out to be the right decision.
Will post update when she’s back in my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX
3 Posts
2012 Optima SXL, 108,000 miles. All maintenance done at the dealership. No problems with anything prior to this. I had the motor inspected because of the whole bearing issue or motor issue that was going on so the dealership calls me and says they scoped the motor and everything looks good. I get a free oil change and Im on my way. Fast forward 5,000 miles and Im driving down the highway at 75 mph and I get 3 knocks from the motor and then it just shuts down. I get it towed back to the dealership and the asked what was wrong. I said it just died going down the road. Without hesitation he looks at another employee and they say it at the same time... "Recall". He says he will contact the manufacturer and have them verify the motor is seized and then they will give me a new one. That'exactly what happened. 7 days later I have a new motor in my car with a 12,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think your warranty is a bit longer than 12k miles...

·
Registered
2 Posts
  • Year, Make, Model, Trim 2013 SX
  • Mileage at the time of failure 75K
  • Determined cause of engine failure Engine failed
  • Was proper maintenance performed? Yes
  • Was it covered under warranty? Yes
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Yes
  • What was the outcome This occurred this week. Rental car approved. Will wait several days for a time frame on receipt of the new motor
As noted by many others; travelling at freeway speed, about 5 seconds after accelerating lost power. Kept electrical -- lights, flashers, radio, etc. -- coasted to a stop. Gave the engine a minute, then five, then ten and tried restarts. Only sound on restart is one solid "thunk".
UPDATE: Approximately 5 weeks after engine failure and a month after diagnosis I have my car back. Engine was replaced. Rental car covered

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
798 Posts
Well I'm joining the group....reluctantly. 2015 sxt with 75k km. I was driving on the highway and as soon as I accelerated to pass someone, the clacking started. No cel. Just at certain RPMs. Driving back from work going to the dealer (driving slowly) the cel flashes and the car goes into limp mode. The mechanic heard the noise and immediately confirmed the engine needs replacing. He made the request already and I'm now waiting for a courtesy car. I guess I wont be needing the induction cleaning afterall. Not sure how the previous owner took care of the car but I'm planning on putting back the oil catch can and starting off with castrol syntech as soon as i get it back. Fyi, I heard loud clicking similar to this upon start from time to time.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SWP
436 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,897 Posts
^ That's a great decision, $760 million to cover 4 million cars and that's about $190 p/car. Now, how does that equate to diminished value, repairs, etc? We're also available for the free KSDS update that has been out for a year, a lifetime warranty for the new engine short block that they offered last year, but the warranty is at least now transferable to a new owner. Doubt it may help in resale value as Kia/Hyundai has never seen normal depreciation, and now, nobody wants a lemon, but I'm sure there are potential buyers out there that are clueless.

Can't wait until I get my notice to see the options, but guess I'll need to wait and hope the engine blows as I'm getting tired of adding a qt/oil every 600-700 miles.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,897 Posts
My engine didnt consume any oil and still went.
I'd say probably 95 % don't consume any oil, or let's say a great amount as there have been engines that let go at 7,000 miles and we know that they didn't consume any oil, it's just the crappy design that allows the cylinders to get out of round.
Had dinner with a couple on Tuesday that own a 2013 SX, 74,000 miles, went into limp mode early September. Dealer gave them a rental and had the car back in 15 days, not too bad.

Just junk!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joined the forums to give my experience. I'll explain my story below and provide some advice for anyone else who has this issue.

• Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2012 Kia Optima LX
  • Mileage at the time of failure: ~110,000
  • Determined cause of engine failure: Dealer refuses to answer, but engine knock was obvious.
  • Was proper maintenance performed?: Oil change every 5k miles. Full Synthetic. OEM Filters direct from dealership.
  • Was it covered under warranty?: Dealer (incorrectly) said I no longer had warranty on the engine.
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Yes, but it took A LOT of phone calls.
  • What was the outcome? Engine is being replaced at no cost to me.
My car passed the engine knock sound test at around 80,000 miles and I was given the Orange Dipstick showing that I passed.

I was on a one lane highway using the tiptronic because of some hills when the RPM shot up to around 5k and the engine then turned off. Coasted to a stop on the shoulder. Turned the car fully off and waited about 30 seconds. Turned car back on and all seemed fine, but then I heard some terrible engine noise. Pulled over again and had the car towed home. After arriving at home I attempted to self diagnose and came to the conclusion that it was the engine knock. Called KIA consumer affais, got a case number started, and had them tow my car to the nearest dealership.

Dealership was not happy that I had towed my car to them. They kept saying they were backed up and that it would take 2 weeks for them to even get started on a diagnosis. I called around and all dealerships in the area were saying the same thing. So I said I'm not gonna waste time getting my car towed to another location. The service agent said ok and took my car's details and the case#. They mentioned since I'm at 110,000 miles, my engine is no longer under warranty for the rod bearing issue. I said warranty was extended to 120,000 miles, but they kept saying I was wrong. They made me authorize a $100 inspection fee that I would have to pay if the issue was my fault. Fine, whatever. They ask if I have proof of maintenance. I say yes and offer to provide it to them. They say it's not needed. Why ask then? Just another tactic by the dealership to find an out.

At this point, I asked for a loaner and the dealer refused saying that they only provided a loaner or rental once the diagnosis comes back as the engine knock issue (which is at least 2 weeks away at this point). I got on the phone with KIA consumer affairs and explained that my car is clearly experiencing the engine knock and that the dealership is saying it's going to take 2 weeks to diagnose. The consumer affairs agent pre-authorized me for 3 days. Dealership then shuttled me to an Enterprise and I got my rental.

2 days goes by and I don't hear anything from my dealership (as expected). I call consumer affairs again and tell them dealership is taking too long so I need an extension on my rental. They refuse and instead tell me to rent on my own dime and then submit a reimbursement form once this is all over. I hang up and call again and get a different agent. I ask for a rental extension and this time they accept but mention that they can only authorize 3 days at a time since my car isn't actually diagnosed yet. Another 3 days goes by and still nothing from the dealership. I call consumer affairs again and this time it takes me talking to 4 different agents (approximately 3 hours) to get someone to finally authorize another 3 day rental. Luckily for me, I would be going on an extended business trip in 2 days so this would be the last time I would have to call for a rental extension.

While on my business trip, I go back and forth via email with the dealership. They keep saying they have no updates. It takes them exactly 1 month to come back and say my engine will be replaced at no cost to me. I ask for the diagnosis results and they won't tell me. They just say that the engine will be replaced under the "engine campaign" and that the parts have been ordered. They also mention they can get me a loaner while the car is being repaired at no cost to me. So KIA is taking full responsibility, which I am glad about, but their communication abilities are quite lacking.

Below, I'll provide my personal advice to anyone else going through the same thing:

ADVICE:
  • Even if you haven't experienced the engine knock issue yet, research the dealerships in your area. Have one in mind so that you know where to tow your car once this issue does occur. Read reviews, call and ask how long it will take to diagnose your car, etc. If I could choose again, I'd probably take my car to a different dealership in the area.
  • If you suspect engine knock as the issue then call KIA consumer affairs immediately and explain your engine is knocking. First thing you want to do is get a case# which consumer affairs will create for you automatically. Note this case# and provide it to any KIA employee you talk to.
  • Insist that KIA tow your car to the nearest dealership on THEIR dime. Explain that you've researched the engine knock extensively and that all the symptoms and noises points to the rod bearing faillure. KIA should take full responsibility on getting your car to the dealership.
  • At the dealership, be firm but not rude. I saw a bunch of Optimas at the dealership waiting to be diagnosed. This issue is widespread and dealerships are getting hit hard. KIA corporate is to blame, but the customers are taking their frustrations out on the dealerships. I can see it in their faces. So play nice, but know your rights. Don't let them sucker you into thinking the engine issue is somehow your fault. Having a case# before arriving at the dealership shows them that you've done your research.
  • In order to toss my dealership a bone, I told them I'm willing to pay to replace wearable parts such as the serpentine belt and hoses, since those need to be removed while doing the engine work anyways. They haven't quoted me yet, but they said they'd back to me shortly. You may or may not want to do this depending on your mileage.
  • Insist on a rental even before diagnosis. If dealer says no, then call consumer affairs. If consumer affairs says no, then call them and talk to a different agent. Explain that not having a car will be a serious hardship and that you can't afford the time it takes to go through the reimbursement process. If you can convince the consumer affairs agent, then the dealership cannot refuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2012 Kia Optima EX, 2.4 liter/4 cyl
  • Engine/Performance Mods: ?
  • Mileage at the time of failure: 132,595
  • Determined cause of engine failure: engine seized
  • Was proper maintenance performed? yes
  • Was it covered under warranty? yes (even though out of warranty period)
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? yes
  • What was the outcome? new long block engine installed at no cost
ETA: I did take it in earlier in the year because of the recall, and it passed at that time.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
3 Posts
Unfortunately, we seem to have a lot of these threads popping up lately, I would like a single thread to discuss engine failures and what people have had to go through to fix it.

If you are going through an engine replacement or have in the past, please be sure to post in here with as much information as you can about the following:

• Year, Make, Model, Trim 2013 Kia Optima EX
  • Engine/Performance Mods 2.4l base stock
  • Mileage at the time of failure 155k
  • Determined cause of engine failure Like many others accelerating onto a highway and it instantly shut off and restarted with a rod knock.
  • Was proper maintenance performed? Yes, always 100% synthetic (usually Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5w-20, Mobil 1 when it blew) at 7500 miles per manual. It was using a lot of oil for a while - a quart / 500 miles. I have worked on cars for 4 decades and am an engineering technician that does root cause analysis. The GDI engine (being that it directly sprays gas into the cylinder) dilutes the oil thereby reducing the viscosity. If we start at 5w-20 it can end up at 10 or less. This will cause excessive wear that is seen by increased oil consumption. Then if you stress the engine and have it make max hp (like flooring it) it can take the increased bearing clearances from the wear and "thinner" oil and spin a bearing which will make a lot of metal shavings that could look like they came from debris in oil journals (like Kia claims). I would recommend Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5w-30 (it is the best value / quality - google it) instead of 5w-20 and change it more often like at 5k miles.
  • Was it covered under warranty? Yes - lifetime engine bearing warranty.
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Yes - they spent over $2k. Don't forget to submit your towing receipt.
  • What was the outcome? It took over 2 months but it is back and good to go.
EDIT: Google Doc Spreadsheet by Mr N00blar

Engine Failures - Optimaforums.net

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
83 Posts
Joined the forums to give my experience. I'll explain my story below and provide some advice for anyone else who has this issue.

• Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2012 Kia Optima LX
  • Mileage at the time of failure: ~110,000
  • Determined cause of engine failure: Dealer refuses to answer, but engine knock was obvious.
  • Was proper maintenance performed?: Oil change every 5k miles. Full Synthetic. OEM Filters direct from dealership.
  • Was it covered under warranty?: Dealer (incorrectly) said I no longer had warranty on the engine.
  • Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Yes, but it took A LOT of phone calls.
  • What was the outcome? Engine is being replaced at no cost to me.
My car passed the engine knock sound test at around 80,000 miles and I was given the Orange Dipstick showing that I passed.

I was on a one lane highway using the tiptronic because of some hills when the RPM shot up to around 5k and the engine then turned off. Coasted to a stop on the shoulder. Turned the car fully off and waited about 30 seconds. Turned car back on and all seemed fine, but then I heard some terrible engine noise. Pulled over again and had the car towed home. After arriving at home I attempted to self diagnose and came to the conclusion that it was the engine knock. Called KIA consumer affais, got a case number started, and had them tow my car to the nearest dealership.

Dealership was not happy that I had towed my car to them. They kept saying they were backed up and that it would take 2 weeks for them to even get started on a diagnosis. I called around and all dealerships in the area were saying the same thing. So I said I'm not gonna waste time getting my car towed to another location. The service agent said ok and took my car's details and the case#. They mentioned since I'm at 110,000 miles, my engine is no longer under warranty for the rod bearing issue. I said warranty was extended to 120,000 miles, but they kept saying I was wrong. They made me authorize a $100 inspection fee that I would have to pay if the issue was my fault. Fine, whatever. They ask if I have proof of maintenance. I say yes and offer to provide it to them. They say it's not needed. Why ask then? Just another tactic by the dealership to find an out.

At this point, I asked for a loaner and the dealer refused saying that they only provided a loaner or rental once the diagnosis comes back as the engine knock issue (which is at least 2 weeks away at this point). I got on the phone with KIA consumer affairs and explained that my car is clearly experiencing the engine knock and that the dealership is saying it's going to take 2 weeks to diagnose. The consumer affairs agent pre-authorized me for 3 days. Dealership then shuttled me to an Enterprise and I got my rental.

2 days goes by and I don't hear anything from my dealership (as expected). I call consumer affairs again and tell them dealership is taking too long so I need an extension on my rental. They refuse and instead tell me to rent on my own dime and then submit a reimbursement form once this is all over. I hang up and call again and get a different agent. I ask for a rental extension and this time they accept but mention that they can only authorize 3 days at a time since my car isn't actually diagnosed yet. Another 3 days goes by and still nothing from the dealership. I call consumer affairs again and this time it takes me talking to 4 different agents (approximately 3 hours) to get someone to finally authorize another 3 day rental. Luckily for me, I would be going on an extended business trip in 2 days so this would be the last time I would have to call for a rental extension.

While on my business trip, I go back and forth via email with the dealership. They keep saying they have no updates. It takes them exactly 1 month to come back and say my engine will be replaced at no cost to me. I ask for the diagnosis results and they won't tell me. They just say that the engine will be replaced under the "engine campaign" and that the parts have been ordered. They also mention they can get me a loaner while the car is being repaired at no cost to me. So KIA is taking full responsibility, which I am glad about, but their communication abilities are quite lacking.

Below, I'll provide my personal advice to anyone else going through the same thing:

ADVICE:
  • Even if you haven't experienced the engine knock issue yet, research the dealerships in your area. Have one in mind so that you know where to tow your car once this issue does occur. Read reviews, call and ask how long it will take to diagnose your car, etc. If I could choose again, I'd probably take my car to a different dealership in the area.
  • If you suspect engine knock as the issue then call KIA consumer affairs immediately and explain your engine is knocking. First thing you want to do is get a case# which consumer affairs will create for you automatically. Note this case# and provide it to any KIA employee you talk to.
  • Insist that KIA tow your car to the nearest dealership on THEIR dime. Explain that you've researched the engine knock extensively and that all the symptoms and noises points to the rod bearing faillure. KIA should take full responsibility on getting your car to the dealership.
  • At the dealership, be firm but not rude. I saw a bunch of Optimas at the dealership waiting to be diagnosed. This issue is widespread and dealerships are getting hit hard. KIA corporate is to blame, but the customers are taking their frustrations out on the dealerships. I can see it in their faces. So play nice, but know your rights. Don't let them sucker you into thinking the engine issue is somehow your fault. Having a case# before arriving at the dealership shows them that you've done your research.
  • In order to toss my dealership a bone, I told them I'm willing to pay to replace wearable parts such as the serpentine belt and hoses, since those need to be removed while doing the engine work anyways. They haven't quoted me yet, but they said they'd back to me shortly. You may or may not want to do this depending on your mileage.
  • Insist on a rental even before diagnosis. If dealer says no, then call consumer affairs. If consumer affairs says no, then call them and talk to a different agent. Explain that not having a car will be a serious hardship and that you can't afford the time it takes to go through the reimbursement process. If you can convince the consumer affairs agent, then the dealership cannot refuse.
Not mileage or year limit. Lifetime warranty

Owners of these vehicles will get a lifetime extended warranty on the affected components for damage related to this condition. This warranty will go into effect upon of the Knock Sensor Detection System software update. Loaner vehicles may be available for owners while their vehicles are being repaired under this warranty. If a loaner vehicle is not available, the manufacturer may reimburse up to $40 per day for transportation expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yay! A new engine!

I had my 2013 SX (no mods other than lights) checked about six months ago for the bearing/debris issue. They found nothing. 2 days before Christmas I'm driving home and the engine just quit. I was able to coast onto a side-street, but it was not moving from there. Still had electric, but it wouldn't even try to crank. I had a long, cold wait for the tow truck because it was -10F but insurance covered the cost. I had it towed to my Kia dealer and sure enough, engine seized due to the recall issue. Kinda crappy timing, but I was sitting at 99,000 miles without a single mechanical issue and I get a new intake manifold, turbo, and engine for free. Hard to be pissed off about that. Should greatly increase resale value and my turbo had been acting up anyway. Dealer provided a brand new Optima Sport as a loaner in the meantime. Gotta say that 2.4 has a lot of pep. Car should be ready to pick up in the next day or two. I honestly have no complaints. The local dealer stepped up and treated me right from the jump. It's an inconvenience to be sure, but good customer service goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
"and I get a new intake manifold, turbo, and engine for free"
I thought all one gets is a long block, not a new turbo and IM?

·
Registered
61 Posts
"and I get a new intake manifold, turbo, and engine for free"
I thought all one gets is a long block, not a new turbo and IM?
That's what I thought, too, but apparently the recall can cover other potentially effected parts. I was not going to argue, so I didn't spend much time debating the need... LOL.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

461 - 480 of 508 Posts