2012 Hyundai 2012 Sonata 2.0T
30 Posts
- Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2012 Sonata 2.0T
- Engine/Performance Mods: Meth Lap 3 Stage 2.5 Tune, Mid Pipe, Catback
- Mileage at the time of failure: 149500
- Determined cause of engine failure: Warped head
- Was proper maintenance performed? Yes
- Was it covered under warranty? No
- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Dealer gave me a loaner car.
- What was the outcome? Bought a remanufactured engine on eBay and had it installed.

First sign of the problem was coolant overflowing out of theoverflow
reservoir.

·
Registered
2015 Genesis Coupe 3.8, 2016 Kawasaki ZX14R SE
15 Posts
I had a 2014 Sonata SE 2.0T. The infamous lower end bearing(s) went at about 17k miles. The 2nd engine only took a couple days to get put in. Remember this was 4 years ago when this recall was just kinda getting started. I honestly don't know if the 2nd engine was a short or long block. I'm guessing short, because the head gasket was bad from the "git-go". I dove it home and it was over heating. They replaced that engine, or top end and all was fine for the next 30k until I returned (the lease) the car and bought a 2013 Gen Coupe R-Spec.

I sold cars art the dealership the dealership and took alot of crap for "blowing" up 2 engines...lol. For the better part of the 30k on the "good" engine, I ran the Lap3 UC, intake, hi-flow midpipe. It never gave me any issues and ran great. I actually put the same Lap3 in my Gen Coupe 2.0T, with the expected and advertised results. A guy on here and the Hyundai Forums, Bonsai, wanted my used Lap3 so I sent it to him almost 2 months ago at the agreed upon price, and he has never paid me, so beware of him. More on that when I have a few more posts.

ominousone

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,781 Posts
A guy on here and the Hyundai Forums, Bonsai, wanted my used Lap3 so I sent it to him almost 2 months ago at the agreed upon price, and he has never paid me, so beware of him. More on that when I have a few more posts.
ominousone
Ship after payment received as there are scammers all over. He's relatively new but need to keep an eye on him and if in fact no payment he should be banned, but could always come back on under an alias.

Years ago purchased a modified ecu for one of my cars from a fellow in Naples, got it in and resistors burnt, no money back. Took him to court via phone and he was found guilty, but no money back, so a lien was placed on his residence, great, but still no money.

The world is full of undesirables.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2013 Kia Optima
10 Posts
2013 Kia Optima SXL Turbo

Engine Blew up 79950 Miles

I was driving about 60 MPH and all of the sudden the amber check engine light started flashing, the car lost power.

All of the maintenance was performed and up to date. They checked before they would cover it under warranty. The reason given was that I took it in to have them do the recalls that was causing these engines to blow, which I think extended the warranty to 100,000 miles.

They did give me a rental car for the week it took them to replace the engine. They would not reimburse me for the $97 towing to have it towed to the dealer, they said that wasn't covered by the warranty!

·
Registered
2012 KIA OPTIMA
269 Posts
Did you take your SXL for inspection prior to this incident?

I did to my 2012 SX and they changed the oil dipstick to a different color to indicate the inspection was done (and passed).

·
Registered
40 Posts
2013 Optima SXL - Original owner - ~128k miles

My car passed the inspection a long time back. Just yesterday, I was accelerating from a stop up to about 60mph when my dash lights lit up and my car wouldn't respond to the gas pedal. I coasted to a stop on the shoulder and tried restarting, with no luck...wouldn't even try to turn over. I inspected for any leaked fluids or smells and everything seemed normal. I had it towed to Gerald Kia in Naperville and now I wait...they told me it would be a week until they can diagnose the issue, but I suspect I'll be joining the new engine club. They said there were 12 'tow-ins' ahead of me, thus the long wait...12!

Pretty disappointed as this is the first significant issue i've had with my car. Hopefully the replacement process goes smooth to help restore my confidence in KIA. I was planning on driving this car for a long time, as it's been fantastic inside and out otherwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2013 Optima SXL - Original owner - ~128k miles

My car passed the inspection a long time back. Just yesterday, I was accelerating from a stop up to about 60mph when my dash lights lit up and my car wouldn't respond to the gas pedal. I coasted to a stop on the shoulder and tried restarting, with no luck...wouldn't even try to turn over. I inspected for any leaked fluids or smells and everything seemed normal. I had it towed to Gerald Kia in Naperville and now I wait...they told me it would be a week until they can diagnose the issue, but I suspect I'll be joining the new engine club. They said there were 12 'tow-ins' ahead of me, thus the long wait...12!

Pretty disappointed as this is the first significant issue i've had with my car. Hopefully the replacement process goes smooth to help restore my confidence in KIA. I was planning on driving this car for a long time, as it's been fantastic inside and out otherwise.
Update - after about 10 days without my car, I finally hear back from the dealership that my request has been DECLINED, stating that I didn’t properly maintain the oil level and that there was no oil on the dipstick when the tech looked at it...ALL FALSE and I have the records to prove it. Never had a leak or oil warning light in this car, as it was maintained regularly. Pissed off to say the least. I’ve already escalated to Kia escalations department and they said it would be another 2-3 days before someone reaches out.

Perhaps be cautious with using Gerald Kia of Naperville going forward.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
567 Posts
Hopefully things work out for you. Kia did all maintenance on my vehicle and it was taken in every 3,000 miles almost exactly. So I guess that is one less thing I have to worry about.

Crazy how it is taking them so much time to make a determination. Mine has been there for 7 full days now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 kia optima
135 k mileage
Accelerated and motor died. Towed to shop said starter burned up and engine seized up. Towed to kiss yesterday. Service advisor sounded favorable. Awaiting response. Had lifetime power train warranty if all maintenances we're performed there at proper intervals but missed a couple of those. Any. Tips or ideas how to proceed? No loaner car yet, said they had to wait for approval on engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on 2012 kia optima. Kia called yesterday and said engine replacement was approved at zero charge and rental car approved. I'm so happy they are standing behind their product! Should I sell the car ASAP after repairs?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Why sell it? It will have new engine...duh.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,462 Posts
Update on 2012 kia optima. Kia called yesterday and said engine replacement was approved at zero charge and rental car approved. I'm so happy they are standing behind their product! Should I sell the car ASAP after repairs?
Got mine done in Dec '18. Strong as ever. She's a keeper for me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
- Year, Make, Model, Trim - 2013 Kia Optima EX
- Engine/Performance Mods - 2.4
- Mileage at the time of failure - 10500 mile
- Determined cause of engine failure - engine failure - dead engine
- Was proper maintenance performed? - yes
- Was it covered under warranty? - not at first but they have extended warranty on my kia optima
- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? - yes but waited a week for a loaner
- What was the outcome? still waiting to replace the engine but they said it will only replace interior of the engine but not exterior, they also recommend should replace belt, engine oil, and coolant after new engine because that is not included in the warranty and that will cost me around $550 to change all these. i can get those change for around $150 - $200 at most. still debating if should change it when engine is replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
  • Year, Make, Model, Trim - 2012 Kia Optima SX
  • Engine/Performance Mods - none
  • Mileage at the time of failure - 93,000 mile
  • Determined cause of engine failure - engine failure -
  • Was proper maintenance performed? - yes
  • Was it covered under warranty? The service manager says there shouldn't be a problem handling it with the KIA and I also bought the extended warranty so I "should" be good. No ETA at the moment, waiting for the KIA techs to get back with them for approval. Says he has 6 other Optima's that are waiting for a new engine in the area (ELGIN, IL) I just spent $900 having the dealership change the oil, antifreeze, thermostat, transmission oil, serpentine belt, fix a tie-rod and some other stuff. 2 weeks later this happens. WTF.. I was going to give this car to my 19 yr old boy next year. No loaner available so I will have to rent a car and then file a claim with KIA to get reimbursed. I was a loyal KIA customer and never had problems with my other KIA's, 03' Sedona and a 14' Forte. Just sucks.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
567 Posts
Got my car back today. So far it has driven 30 miles without issue. All of my mods were moved over just fine and connected great. They even installed poly engine mounts for me.

Should be past 500 mile break-in in about 2 weeks. Will go for oil change and then straight to BTR for some more mods and dyno tune. Getting a custom tune and not a canned tune!

When I picked it up, my dealership said there are 25 cars waiting for engine replacement. They are getting absolutely slammed, especially since word-of-mouth is so high right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
  • Was it covered under warranty? The service manager says there shouldn't be a problem handling it with the KIA and I also bought the extended warranty so I "should" be good. No ETA at the moment, waiting for the KIA techs to get back with them for approval. Says he has 6 other Optima's that are waiting for a new engine in the area (ELGIN, IL) I just spent $900 having the dealership change the oil, antifreeze, thermostat, transmission oil, serpentine belt, fix a tie-rod and some other stuff. 2 weeks later this happens. WTF.. I was going to give this car to my 19 yr old boy next year. No loaner available so I will have to rent a car and then file a claim with KIA to get reimbursed. I was a loyal KIA customer and never had problems with my other KIA's, 03' Sedona and a 14' Forte. Just sucks.
I went to Schaumburg Kia dealership, my kia optima over 100K miles and i was able to get a loaner, and i have to pay $500 things i should change. Waited a month got my car back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: 07/30/19
Good news: KIA approved my new engine, it will take approx 5 days to get to the dealership and another 2 days to put it in.
Bad news: KIA has the gasket kit/set for my engine on backorder. They supposedly put a rush on it but with all the new engines being installed by KIA and Hyundai lately it might take another 2 weeks.
WTh....

441 - 460 of 576 Posts