Kia Optima Forums banner

181 - 200 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
**Update
Looks like kia approved the warranty claim and I'll be getting a new engine!!
bearings gave out in cylinder 3. still Don't know if the cause was from the factory mishap or my mods. dealership said not to mess with mods anymore LOL.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

3 days

·
Registered
510 Posts
Have we discovered if the replacement engines have any improvements made to them and/or how to tell if your replacement engine has these improvements?
That would sure make me sleep better knowing if my replacement engine from 1.5 years ago has these improvements!

·
Registered
25 Posts
**Update
Looks like kia approved the warranty claim and I'll be getting a new engine!!
bearings gave out in cylinder 3. still Don't know if the cause was from the factory mishap or my mods. dealership said not to mess with mods anymore LOL.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

3 days

We'll I'm glad your dealership seems to actually care about their customers my warranty paperwork got submitted last Monday and still they have yet to be able tell me anything

·
Registered
25 Posts
We'll I'm glad your dealership seems to actually care about their customers my warranty paperwork got submitted last Monday and still they have yet to be able tell me anything

I'd be calling them every other day.
Oh, I have been. Now this week they've just been saying kia keeps asking for pictures of the engine (inside and out). From what I've read on here no one else has really had this much trouble getting the warranty approved, my car is even 100% stock. Not even a CAI on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well kia called me back today and after exactly two weeks of my car being in the shop I'm getting the engine covered under the warranty extension. However I do still have to pay for the starter because I kept trying to start it after it died. It's unfortunate but it's alot cheaper than an $8k engine ha. Don't really have any other details but apparently I should be getting a loaner car as well. They're calling me back tomorrow to tell me more and I'll keep updating on here as I find out more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Talked to kia again today, long block already came in but there's 4 engine replacements in front of me so it'll probably be a while. Kia is covering an enterprise rental for me though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm the latest victim of the engine failure problem. I had no idea this was a problem because I stopped frequenting this site about 50,000 miles ago. Well I was driving down the road with my 12 Optima EX, 2.4, with no mods. 86,000 miles, all oil changes within 3-7,000 range depending if it was synthetic or conventional. I did most my self with a Kia filter. I used Mobile 1 5w-20 every time. This is my commuter vehicle and I'm very easy on it. It's never been over 80 mph, highway miles, slow acceleration never romp on it. I have had no engine issues since owning it and no warning. The engine lost power doing about 50. I tried a restart in neutral while rolling but nothing. Smoke from engine compartment that smelled electrical. Left stranded with wife and 2 year old on side of highway with no safe place to pull over. Checked the oil first thing and it was full. Tow to dealer. They says its the alternator and battery so they replace both 1,100 bucks. Still wont start, now they think the engine is seized because the can't turn it by hand. At the moment they are getting approval from Kia to do an engine tear-down. They asked about my receipts for oil changes which I have but they haven't physically requested them yet. All I have is the receipts from the parts department for the filters. Honestly I'm not sure what to do if this isn't warrantied. I'll be sunk. All I ever wanted was a reliable car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i live in Canada. i was at my KIA dealership getting service #3 done. i asked the service guys if they have heard about anything regarding KIA OPTIMAS and engine failures. They had no clue. showed them a waranty letter as well from a facebook post. they were just like "wow". is this happening to the KIAs across the border as well?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
JoeEX,
You should be fine since you bought the filters from them. Why would you not used them shortly after buying them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm the latest victim of the engine failure problem. I had no idea this was a problem because I stopped frequenting this site about 50,000 miles ago. Well I was driving down the road with my 12 Optima EX, 2.4, with no mods. 86,000 miles, all oil changes within 3-7,000 range depending if it was synthetic or conventional. I did most my self with a Kia filter. I used Mobile 1 5w-20 every time. This is my commuter vehicle and I'm very easy on it. It's never been over 80 mph, highway miles, slow acceleration never romp on it. I have had no engine issues since owning it and no warning. The engine lost power doing about 50. I tried a restart in neutral while rolling but nothing. Smoke from engine compartment that smelled electrical. Left stranded with wife and 2 year old on side of highway with no safe place to pull over. Checked the oil first thing and it was full. Tow to dealer. They says its the alternator and battery so they replace both 1,100 bucks. Still wont start, now they think the engine is seized because the can't turn it by hand. At the moment they are getting approval from Kia to do an engine tear-down. They asked about my receipts for oil changes which I have but they haven't physically requested them yet. All I have is the receipts from the parts department for the filters. Honestly I'm not sure what to do if this isn't warrantied. I'll be sunk. All I ever wanted was a reliable car.
You should be alright, might get charged another 500 for a starter like I did since it got fried but it sounds like there's no reason for them to deny you the warranty. Just be patient though also cause the whole process from the day my engine blew to the day I got my warranty approved was 2 weeks on the dot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is warranty on remanufactured engine? Did they fix the problems in remaufactured engine?

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

They turned me down for rental or loaner car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i live in Canada. i was at my KIA dealership getting service #3 done. i asked the service guys if they have heard about anything regarding KIA OPTIMAS and engine failures. They had no clue. showed them a waranty letter as well from a facebook post. they were just like "wow". is this happening to the KIAs across the border as well?
DarcyG, yes, this is affecting Canada too. Kia Canada is sending out the same extended warranty letter that the US got at the end of July.

Here's a link to the CTV News story that ran a few weeks ago.Class-action lawsuit alleges defect exists in some Kia engines | CTV Vancouver News

·
Registered
186 Posts
@Mr.N00bLaR,

Just took a look at your spreadsheet. In the interest of being as thorough as possible, I'd like to add:

-my SX is of US origin
-OCI is 5,000 miles
-dealership has performed all oil changes since I purchased the car with 200 miles on it, so obviously (hopefully) Kia filters were used
-oil type is Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30
-time to outcome was ~18 days

·
Registered
4 Posts
Year, Make, Model, Trim 2011 Kia Optima
- Engine/Performance Mods 4 Cylinder GDI
- Mileage at the time of failure 113,000
- Determined cause of engine failure Lack of Oil caused engine to lock up
- Was proper maintenance performed? Yes, records from Express Oil
- Was it covered under warranty? Yes, a long block was provided.
- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? No, refused.
- What was the outcome? Repalced engine and provided a 12,000 mile warranty.

I think we should get a better warranty since the original engine failed and supposedly this long block is fixing the problem. If it corrects the problem why is KIA not providing a better warranty:?

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Kia initially turned me down for engine replacement. I told them I was not buying that it was my fault due to no oil-causing engine to seize up. Told them to refer this to higher ups!

2. Came back a second time and told me they would not cover. I told them I had Express Oil records to show car had been serviced every 3000-5000 miles and I was not buying it that I had cause the problem. I provided records showing car had been serviced less than 3 weeks ago (oil changed) and that I had personally checked the oil 2 days before it seized up with no oil in crankcase. Dealership opened ticket with Kia and agreed to replace the engine.

Engine replaced and when car was picked up and driven 12-15 miles oil was checked and did not register on dipstick. Called Kia and requested them to bring 4 quarts of oil and pick up car. They added oil (1 quart) and took back to the dealership. Called me later in the day and said car was ready to pick up. They brought the car back to where my son works.
I am relatively happy with the entire process but would like to have seen a better warranty for new long block installed (12,000 miles).

Year, Make, Model, Trim 2011 Kia Optima
- Engine/Performance Mods 4 Cylinder GDI
- Mileage at the time of failure 113,000
- Determined cause of engine failure Lack of Oil caused engine to lock up
- Was proper maintenance performed? Yes, records from Express Oil
- Was it covered under warranty? Yes, a long block was provided.
- Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? No, refused.
- What was the outcome? Replaced engine and provided a 12,000 mile warranty.

I think we should get a better warranty since the original engine failed and supposedly this long block is fixing the problem. If it corrects the problem, why is KIA not providing a better warranty?

181 - 200 of 473 Posts