Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2014 Kia optima ex with 59,000 miles. The car stalled on me at a red light. No lights came on and I was able to start the car right away with no issues. I noticed a couple days later that the car idled a little rough and I also experience a rough start. I keep up with service on the vehicle on time always and I have never had issues with the car before. I took the car into Kia yesterday to diagnose the issue and they could not find a problem but recommended a de-carb. They also explained that I had a service campaign on the car for the aux canister. I went ahead and authorized them to go forward with the de-carb and address the service campaign. When the technician was test driving the car after the service was done, the engine failed. They explained they have to order a new engine and they gave me a loaner car. I did some research and I'm seeing that there are many cases of this model having engine failure on low mileage. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Would a de-carb cause the engine to fail? Would the aux cannister cause the engine to fail eventually? I do not have much knowledge on cars and I appreciate any input/advise.
Thank you,
Jamie

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Welcome to the club of Hyundai/Kia owners that have engines replaced. The engines are junk (block design) as some have died at 7000 miles. They'll replace the engine and you'll be good to go.
The problem is so widespread that they had to offer a lifetime engine warranty to all owners of vehicles with the junk engine.
The lifetime warranty is given after a KSDS update has been done.

Here's some reading. This is from Hyundai, but Kia the same.
From Kia

Good luck and just make certain that after engine replacement there is no fuel leak. Not normal, but there have been problems with the high pressure fuel pump fitting and if not connected correctly it will leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the insight. This is crazy. Needless to say, I will not be buying Kia anymore.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
I'm sure you have the engine issue. Did the shop say if the engine replacement was covered under the full warranty?

Also, what procedure did they use for decarbonization? I read somewhere that if you have large pieces of carbon get dislodged while the engine is running, they can cause some issues when they hit the valves/pistons/etc. and it's better to use a procedure that cleans the carbon build up while the engine is off.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
376 Posts
I concur with what Turbonut says. Poor engine design. Had to wait 3 months to get an appointment. Bringing in Oct 14th. In the meantime I had a diagnosis by an independent mechanic (see below). Using a quart of oil every 300 miles/ burning oil. 80K on car. Had KDS update done. Wish me luck! LOL..
Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Post-it note

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure you have the engine issue. Did the shop say if the engine replacement was covered under the full warranty?

Also, what procedure did they use for decarbonization? I read somewhere that if you have large pieces of carbon get dislodged while the engine is running, they can cause some issues when they hit the valves/pistons/etc. and it's better to use a procedure that cleans the carbon build up while the engine is off.

It has been confirmed by the dealer that the engine is covered. Definitely a sigh of relief there. As far as what their procedure for the decarb, I'm unsure of how they did it. I will ask them when I contact them again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I concur with what Turbonut says. Poor engine design. Had to wait 3 months to get an appointment. Bringing in Oct 14th. In the meantime I had a diagnosis by an independent mechanic (see below). Using a quart of oil every 300 miles/ burning oil. 80K on car. Had KDS update done. Wish me luck! LOL..
View attachment 250477

jeez!! I hope it works out for you!!! Good luck. lol

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
View attachment 250477
He's stating the turbo is leaking and recommends a $2000 turbo replacement???????
I certainly wouldn't show that to the stealership. Just an FYI, when the engine is consuming a large quantity of oil due to engine internals, the intake
will be coated in oil.
My 2.0T, 172,000 miles, was using a qt 325 miles, internals coated, but after engine replaced it uses zero oil, now at 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
376 Posts
Thanks for the insight Turbonut. So I shouldn't let the dealer see the independent mechanics evaluation? Wouldn't the turbo be covered under the powertrain warranty? The dealer took an initial look at it 2 months ago, and said there was a major oil leak. Dropping it off in a few weeks. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. LOL

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Thanks for the insight Turbonut. So I shouldn't let the dealer see the independent mechanics evaluation? Wouldn't the turbo be covered under the powertrain warranty? The dealer took an initial look at it 2 months ago, and said there was a major oil leak. Dropping it off in a few weeks. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. LOL
I stand corrected, if you're the original owner then the turbo is covered under the 10/100 warranty.
You can show the receipt to the stealership, but still don't think it's the turbo causing the oil consumption, but I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
2013 Optima
11 Posts
Been there, done that. Although, I got 130K before having the engine replaced. I was told by the service person the "new" engine has a lifetime warranty too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts