Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Optima Optima SX Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 SX Turbo My book says that the coolant should be changed at 60 months/60000 miles and than every 25000 miles after that. Is this correct?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,209 Posts
Apparently(?) the coolant maintenance schedule sorta varies--in the 2018 owner's manual it's 120K miles/60 months for the first one, then every 25K miles/24 months after. IMHO it seems odd that the first batch of coolant can last up to 120K miles/60 months but subsequent coolant changes are only good for just 25K miles/24 months; I get it that engines get old and worn down but still you'd think that coolant can last for a bit more than 25K miles or 2 years.

·
Registered
2015 Optima Optima SX Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently(?) the coolant maintenance schedule sorta varies--in the 2018 owner's manual it's 120K miles/60 months for the first one, then every 25K miles/24 months after. IMHO it seems odd that the first batch of coolant can last up to 120K miles/60 months but subsequent coolant changes are only good for just 25K miles/24 months; I get it that engines get old and worn down but still you'd think that coolant can last for a bit more than 25K miles or 2 years.
I went on the Kia website and looked up what their maintenance schedule says and it's 100000 miles for the first change and 25000 thereafter but my book says 60000 so I don't know

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
148 Posts
I have a 2014 optima SXL and my manual states 60k or 60 months for the initial one and 30k or 24 months there after. I did mine in the spring myself at 5.5 years and 50k miles. The coolant looked as good as new. No issues. I did a complete flush, removed and replaced thermostat and filled it back up with Pentosin A2 coolant non diluted and created a 50/50 mix with distilled water. The system holds 2 gallons. I plan on doing it in another 5 years. My optima has turned into my 3rd car this past spring so it doesn’t get used much about once a week. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,465 Posts
I'd change it every 5 years (or sooner) regardless and I used Zerex Asian formula (50/50) which is the correct class of coolant for our cars (forget about color, that is not relevant anymore, only chemistry is). Use distilled water for flushing the system (super cheap). I really, really wish they sold this as a full concentrate but they don't. Pentosin is also very good.

Reactions: ScottsoNJ and Bob2C
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.