Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used engine from a salvage yard for my 2013 Hyundai Sonata and what was delivered to my home was a long block (cylinder head down to oil pan minus accessories). The engine was supposed to have been from a 2015 Sonata with 35k miles. The engine that I received was from what appears to be a 2015 Optima, ok not a Sonata but they are interchangeable nonetheless but unfortunate that the engine I negotiated for wasn't what I received by make/model and obviously VIN. Putting all that aside can anyone tell me what the tag and etched numbers mean in the attached pic? If I could make an association to a VIN to determine the possible mileage on the engine it would help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
171 Posts
I purchased a used engine from a salvage yard for my 2013 Hyundai Sonata and what was delivered to my home was a long block (cylinder head down to oil pan minus accessories). The engine was supposed to have been from a 2015 Sonata with 35k miles. The engine that I received was from what appears to be a 2015 Optima, ok not a Sonata but they are interchangeable nonetheless but unfortunate that the engine I negotiated for wasn't what I received by make/model and obviously VIN. Putting all that aside can anyone tell me what the tag and etched numbers mean in the attached pic? If I could make an association to a VIN to determine the possible mileage on the engine it would help.
It looks like a Reman engine from the factory so it probably wouldn't be associated to a VIN and the date on it is 18 but it came out of a 15 vehicle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like a Reman engine from the factory so it probably wouldn't be associated to a VIN and the date on it is 18 but it came out of a 15 vehicle?
I was told that it came from a 2015 and someone wrote in a paint pen "15 Optima" on the block. If this is a Kia remanufactured engine from 2018 than it's likely that there aren't too many miles on it compared to what it would have if it were a 2015. Do you know what the numbers on the tag mean? Is this a Kia tag specifically for a rebuilt engine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts