Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a lap3 pro or jb4 for my 2015 sxt (provided that jb4 is compatible with 2011-2015) and someone suggested I get an ECU tune.
So i contacted local tuner and he said I'd get about 35whp and 70wtq running 91 octane. But when I mentioned the piggyback tunes give more power but with 93 octane he told me it doesnt really matter cause with the ecu tune driveability is not compromised and power delivery is different and better with the ecu tune.
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,906 Posts
Just my thoughts. There is an ecu tune, a performance programmed ecu and the piggy back unit. To me the best tune one can have is when the car is placed on the dyno and the parameters are tweaked to make the most horsepower while maintaining safe conditions.
A pre-programmed ecu is just that, one that has been programmed with logic to obtain the advertised HP, and the piggyback is one that intercepts the signals and sends the altered signals to the ecu, or changes the signal coming from the ecu.

One of my cars has had a programmed ecu for the last 18 years, did it's job, doubled the boost, correct A/F ratio, timing, secondary injectors come on sooner, etc and no problems, but the way to go for the best power would have been to add a new programmable unit, but the cost and time was just not worth the trouble to me, but could have come out with more HP.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
218 Posts
I went with the LAP3 Uncle chip on both of my 2.0T's. We get 91 octane here in Las Vegas, so while I tried all 3 settings, the car would ping on the 93 octane setting, so I stuck with the 91 octane setting. This resulted in 23hp/34ft-lbs gain to the wheels. Graphs and info are here: Post your Dynamometer results here!

This car is stock other than catch cans and HKS plugs. I wanted to be able to remove the box and take the car in with no warranty head aches. It achieves that goal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts