Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a used 2016 Optima w/2.4L. So far, car gives me between 30 - 35 mpg around town. That's in drive mode. (I tell people I drive for economy lol) Was curious how the ECO mode would work. Took a road trip, filled the tank 1st. Was able to get on the highway, switched to Eco, set the cruise control at 65mph. I did 204 miles round trip, gassed up back at the same filling station. Took 4.75 gallons. Did the math, eyes got a little bigger, just under 43mpg! I'll be retesting this in the very near future as I'm driving to Myrtle Beach in about 10 days. Will let you know my results if you like.
Just an update. I did take that trip down to South Carolina. I drove 1,773.3 miles round trip, used a total of 49.18 gallons of gas. Going down, running 75mph on cruise, in ECO, mileage was just over 36 miles to the gallon. My best mileage was coming back, again, in ECO, cruise was set at 70mph, mileage went up to just over 38mpg. Average for the whole trip, 36.05mpg! I traded in a 2015 FIAT 500 that got roughly the same mileage, but the KIA is a much bigger car and to get that kind of mileage, I'm impressed. Plus, the KIA is much more comfortable on a long trip. Think I'll keep it a while

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
739 Posts
Yeah I get mid-20s overall in my 2.0T so I suppose those kind of numbers are typical.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have a 2.0T turbo there's no way you see 37 mpg unless going down a long hill in neutral. Also if you see 37 on the highway and only 27/28 overall, city mileage must be @ 17. Quite a difference.
Sounds like my old Jeep Grand Cherokee V8, when going downhill I could see 92 MPG.
Couldn't resist.
If you have a 2.0T turbo there's no way you see 37 mpg unless going down a long hill in neutral. Also if you see 37 on the highway and only 27/28 overall, city mileage must be @ 17. Quite a difference.
Sounds like my old Jeep Grand Cherokee V8, when going downhill I could see 92 MPG.
Couldn't resist.
Turbonut, I have a 2014 SLX with the 2.0 Turbo and I, like Vaca22, definitely see 35plus in eco mode on a clear highway, furthermore, my city is 24.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
739 Posts
Mid-30 mpg is achievable in a 2.0T but you'd definitely need to keep the speed below 75 mph (unless you get a tailwind and/or are going downhill), and possibly not carrying a full load of passengers and/or tons of stuff in the trunk. I think 37 mpg can be done in a 2.0T if you set cruise control to 65 mph (and can deal with other drivers flipping you off or worse for going too slow) for a long stretch and have ideal driving conditions (e.g., no uphills, no cross- or headwinds, maybe a few downhills in your favor). Any passing or otherwise needing to slow down and then accelerate back up to cruising speed--i.e., pretty much anything that takes you out of top gear) will mess up your attempt to achieve high-30s mpg.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I hated eco mode so much that I now drive a Mustang GT, way more fun, lol

21 - 26 of 26 Posts