Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought premium 5w-20 oil for my 2016 Kia optima sxl , however mechanic said it requires 5w-30 because of the turbo. When I searched online I get mixed answer's about the car can take either....

So here I am, asking the optima, owner's, enthusiast, and performance car guy's what their opinion on the matter is. I would prefer oil that optimizes performance and longevity.

Best,

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,591 Posts
Look in the owner's manual, Turbo, 5w-30 @ 5k miles, and usually on the oil filler cap, but there is nothing that can be used to guarantee longevity of the GDI engine. Just use Dino or synthetic and keep your fingers crossed.

I use Costco (Kirkland) 5-30 synthetic because it's inexpensive, Dexos rated @ $3 p/qt. if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look in the owner's manual, Turbo, 5w-30 @ 5k miles, and usually on the oil filler cap, but there is nothing that can be used to guarantee longevity of the GDI engine. Just use Dino or synthetic and keep your fingers crossed.

I use Costco (Kirkland) 5-30 synthetic because it's inexpensive, Dexos rated @ $3 p/qt. if I remember correctly.
Thanks! I feel like such an idiot lol. At least now I know for next time.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I sent my 2020 Kia oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis at 600 miles just to see what was going on and if odd metals show up in it that shouldn't.

Surprised it came back showing it had been diluted with gasoline to a much lesser weight. Could be the engine has not broken in yet and poor seal of rings, or not driven far enough to cook the gas out of the oil.

Either way, I will bump the weight up a notch at next change given I live in a hot desert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts