Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be safe/beneficial to use E-85 gas on a stock 2013 optima sxl? I have the injen cold air short range intake and a Jb4 tune as well as HKS spark plugs but have yet to install them just wondering if it would be safe to use on it stock with the 2.0L turbo engine

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts
I have to ask Why?

I'm not sure Kia's are e85 compatible, anyone?

I wouldn't use it for one simple reason, less power per unit of fuel compared to Gasoline.

Cleaner, maybe.....

Back in the really old days, friends with hot cars with buy Avgas or add 104+ octane for an extra boost, which they did get from those sources, woohoo!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
97 Posts
Buy what's Better for your vehicle - not Worse.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts
You can but I'm not convinced all Kia's have a sensor for the higher octane so it retard the timing and gain power from it.

Find out it it has one, if so, it will make a power difference and therefore be cost effective.

If it does not have one, it will not hurt (well except pocketbook) yet it will not produce more power.

From what I've read, few Kia's have an octane sensor.

Luck.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,136 Posts
I can't speak as to what the fuel requirements are for a 2013 SXL but the owner's manual for my 2018 (SXL) says do not use gasohol (gasoline and ethanol) containing more than 15% ethanol, and not to use any fuel mixture containing any methanol, meth injection mods notwithstanding.

Note--do not confuse gas that contains up to 15% ethanol with E85 fuel, as E85 is a gas/ethanol blend containing anywhere between 51% to 83% ethanol.

Long story short--do not pump E85 gas into a stock Optima.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts