Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was told by the seller to create my own post about how a dual inlet catch can's diagram is telling you to install it as a dual outlet catch can. If you have any knowledge on this chime in please.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,641 Posts
Thank you for creating a new thread to discuss.

As mentioned if you would like crystal clear information, feel free to reach out and I can put you in touch with the owner that created the product for clarification.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Down this road before, have one sitting in the garage for a couple of years, never installed, first, option A not legal,
and option B the engine uses air drawn from the catch can as "fresh" air NOT actual fresh air coming from the air intake tube.
Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Down this road before, have one sitting in the garage for a couple of years, never installed, first, option A not legal,
and option B the engine uses air drawn from the catch can as "fresh" air NOT actual fresh air coming from the air intake tube.
Just my thoughts.
Thanks for the reply. that is another issue in itself but i was mainly questioning everything else on the diagram. idk... shouldn't the pcv valve which is an outlet obviously go to the inlet of the catch can and you wouldn't need the check valve because the pcv valve is a check valve. the line from the intake hose would go to the other inlet and the check valve would go towards the can. the outlet would then go to the intake manifold with the check valve going away from the catch can. correct or no?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
With a Dual Catch Can the "in" port and first "out" port are the same. The second "out" port works to use the vacuum produced after the throttle is used. A Dual Catch Can is used to tap into an alternate evacuation suction source. This source is usually at a location just in front, or upstream of the throttle body. The second dual valve connects to your cold assembly intake or if it a turbo application connect it to your turbo inlet. Most modern vehicles have inlets but you may be required to drill into your existing intake tube and insert a hose barb fitting. With the use of one-way check valves (The GEN 2 Oil Catch Can provides internal check valves) to open and close this will always default to the strongest suction source at the time. This provides full-time crankcase evacuation and provides continuous cleaning.
With dual "out" ports or valves in conjunction with check valves (to prevent any backflow through the PCV system and the Catch Can itself) the first "out" valve will use the intake manifold vacuum for evacuation suction when at idle. The second "out" valve will tap into the area in front of the throttle body for the suction needed to continue evacuation when accelerating or going WOT (wide open throttle).
This would clear it up for me and the diagram would make sense if the product was sold as a dual outlet catch can.
Whatever it's installed as the diagram shows but i always questioned it but made sense to me also.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
155 Posts
I would take David's offer of contacting the manufacturer. They will have the best and most correct info. Otherwise I have seen others post the same info here. Can't recall where or who, but that'd be the best resource, aside from the designer of the product.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,641 Posts
With a Dual Catch Can the "in" port and first "out" port are the same.
This would clear it up for me and the diagram would make sense if the product was sold as a dual outlet catch can.
Actually, I think you might be onto something here. It does seem to make more sense that it would be considered a dual outlet, vs dual inlet catch can.

I have brought this up to ADD W1 as they were the ones that had instructed us to list it this way when it was first added to our site.

However, I believe it makes more sense to call it the "ADD W1 V3.3 Dual Outlet Oil Catch Can" so if they confirm this, we will get this updated on the site & forum.

I would take David's offer of contacting the manufacturer. They will have the best and most correct info. Otherwise, I have seen others post the same info here. Can't recall where or who, but that'd be the best resource, aside from the designer of the product.
This is 100% correct!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,137 Posts
Notwithstanding comments about the practicality, usefulness, and/or effectiveness of an OCC, I will offer that I am using the V3.3, installed in the "Option A" configuration...and please no further comments about emissions legality and whatnot with installing the V3.3 OCC in such a configuration--ADD themselves include the "for off-road use only" disclaimer in regards using the V3.3, so I am well aware of the ramifications of installing the V3.3 in such a configuration.

The nice thing about my V3.3 setup is that it is easily reversible, and in fact I still have my V3 OCC which is the single-in/single-out one and thus avoids the questionable legality of having an air filter attached to the breather intake port.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts