Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!!!

I was wondering, is it possible to delete one of the exhaust/muffler?

I am thinking of deleting the driver side and take out the Y to make one muffler [keeping the passenger side]

I am not a fan of dual exhaust and the main reason is the cost later down the line when I have to replace the exhaust system [I live in Canada and it snows so the exhaust rust easily over time]

Thanks,

Chris

·
Bazinga!
Optima
1,959 Posts
If you're asking if this is something you can DIY then yes and easily. The drivers side muffler unbolts just after the Y pipe. You would just need a block off plate to bolt on in its place.

If you're asking if a exhaust shop can make something like that, then the answer is yes too. You can also buy a single cut-out oem diffuser so you dont have an empty hole back there.

DSC_0004 by Aaron M....., on Flickr

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much!! That's what I am looking to do.

I'll try the DIY and unbolting it myself and blocking off the hole of the Y to make it one before I head off to a shop.

It really helps with the picture you posted to give me an idea where to start!!

·
Bazinga!
Optima
1,959 Posts
No problem. The only thing i would be worried about is the increased back pressure (if any) assuming that creates a bubble of turbulence right there. If you notice your car is running different like less power you should bolt that muffler back on until you can have a shop custom make you a pipe. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi Everyone!!!

I was wondering, is it possible to delete one of the exhaust/muffler?

I am thinking of deleting the driver side and take out the Y to make one muffler [keeping the passenger side]

I am not a fan of dual exhaust and the main reason is the cost later down the line when I have to replace the exhaust system [I live in Canada and it snows so the exhaust rust easily over time]

Thanks,

Chris
This is true, but it truly depends on a couple of factors.
1) the material that the exhaust is made of. I have been running nameless performance midpipe and downpipe and they are made of austintic stainless steel. These do not rust. I have had them on the car for a full winter now and now issues.
2) how often you wash your car. Under car wash is very important in the winter espically if you live in an area that uses salt to melt snow on the roads. Weekly car washes in pretty much a mandatory thing.

hope that helps when you look to replace your exhaust.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is true, but it truly depends on a couple of factors.
1) the material that the exhaust is made of. I have been running nameless performance midpipe and downpipe and they are made of austintic stainless steel. These do not rust. I have had them on the car for a full winter now and now issues.
2) how often you wash your car. Under car wash is very important in the winter espically if you live in an area that uses salt to melt snow on the roads. Weekly car washes in pretty much a mandatory thing.

hope that helps when you look to replace your exhaust.
Agreed. I am nuts when it comes to keeping my car clean - but in the winter it becomes a little worse. I follow the once a week wash thing with the under carriage wash. In fact, I just washed mine last night and woke up this morning with several inches of fresh snow on my car!

On to the exhaust itself - I wonder if there would be any sound difference with just one exhaust? Would there be any affect on back pressure or anything now that it's down to one pipe?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Why not just leave it as-is until time comes to replace the exhaust, which should be tens of thousands miles down the road considering its stainless. Meanwhile you won't have an ugly empty diffuser cutout.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,637 Posts
personally, i can't imagine the unbalanced look of the single exhaust vs. the dual looking that good - especially if you are putting a fart (rice) can back there... Sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts